Amazon Prime Video Now Available in Over 200 Countries, Including India

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon today announced that its Prime Video streaming service has expanded to over 200 countries including India, the company's largest available market outside the U.S.

Prime Video is automatically available at no additional cost to Amazon Prime members in Belgium, Canada, France, Italy and Spain, and to customers in new Prime Video territories at an introductory price of $2.99 (or 2.99 euros) per month for the first six months.

In India, the service comes bundled with Prime. Prime usually costs Rs 999 ($15) for an annual subscription, but to celebrate the launch of Prime Video, Amazon is currently offering annual membership to new customers at the heavily discounted price of Rs 499 ($7.50).

[​IMG]

That makes Prime Video the least expensive streaming video service in the country by some margin, with similar service Netflix costing Rs 500 on a rolling monthly basis.

The aggressive pricing strategy indicates Amazon's continuing eagerness to make deep inroads into the Indian market. The company has been busy acquiring rights to local content over the last few months, and has partnered with several major Bollywood studios and distributors to make titles available exclusively on Prime Video.

The catalog in Amazon Prime Video contains titles in several Indian languages including Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, and Telugu, as well as an English section featuring many popular U.S. shows.

Article Link: Amazon Prime Video Now Available in Over 200 Countries, Including India

2. stan1028 macrumors regular

stan1028

3. AlexBerkman macrumors member

AlexBerkman

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's launched in essentially every country in the world where it isn't prohibited (i.e. North Korea, China etc). This story only referring to India is... odd.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Considering the source article and an uber-aggressive price strategy, that's probably why the article is particular to one country.

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I would subscribe to it in the US. if they charged $7.50 (or even $15.00) / year here. India is a large country with much of it underdeveloped so I am surprised that Amazon could offer two day shipping throughout the entire country.

7. Ballis, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

Ballis macrumors 6502a

8. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

I managed to get Prime during some offer for ₹300 ($4) for 1 year.
    That is value!

9. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

Hey why these lasy indians get that super low cheap price dud? I wanna get the same price here in estados unidos! Hope trump can make them low the price
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    Yeah have sense
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    What's that? A place or what?

10. prism macrumors 6502a

11. The Phazer, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

The Phazer macrumors 68030

There's no shipping benefits (or any other benefits) in India, it's just the video service.

EDIT: Ooops, India. In India it does. Sorry. My bad.

12. okboy macrumors regular

No Apple TV app? Hard to feign interest as a Prime user.

13. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Yet they can't support the Apple TV? Very telling....

14. okboy macrumors regular

How did you find it? I can't find it on  TV or iOS.

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

They want a full year's membership and don't support Apple TV?

No thanks.

(I rarely shop online, so Prime isn't for me.)

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

IMG_0929.PNG

17. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It's Amazon Prime Video on iOS. They still refuse to release an AppleTV app because the AppleTV competes with their Fire Stick stuff. You can get around it by using airplay from an iOS device, it's just a hassle.

I really wish Amazon would put on their big boy pants, grow up and release an AppleTV app. I like Amazon Prime, I order almost everything we buy from Amazon and I even have a Fire Stick on one of my TVs. I don't like the Fire Stick though - it doesn't integrate well with my Apple ecosystem and I can't airplay stuff to it so my main TV has an Apple TV and I'll likely get Apple TVs for the rest of the house.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

19. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Rejoice international car fans - you can now watch The Grand Tour :cool:

20. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Given the way Prime Video works (or, arguably, doesn't work) in the U.S. - I'd be more curious to know if Prime Video in places like India attempts to nickel and dime those customers by (as it does here) only including some subset of its videos in the subscription price.

We subscribe to Prime, but have never found the video offering useful for this reason - one those rare occasions when a show we want to watch is on that service, it always costs an additional fee.

21. nightowl macrumors member

No Apple TV app, no more money from me to Amazon for their service. Airplay is a workaround, not a solution.

I understand they want to steer people toward their hardware, but there are too many options out there to limit to your own hardware. Release the Apple TV app, let us buy digital items from you on your website, and enjoy them on our Apple TV devices.

22. Ballis macrumors 6502a

23. deany macrumors 68030

deany

24. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Its coming for sure. All the money they spendt on The Grand Tour, its obvious they wanna compete with Netflix and HBO. Their app will be on all platforms shortly.

25. 2457282 Suspended

Apple TV by now has millions of users. Amazon's refusal to expand to Apple country really defies logic. Especially with the fact that they dropped selling Apple TV on their site which was making them a ton more profit than their firetv thingy. If they put an app on the APPLETV I would finally use Prime Video. Until then, i have not invested in Prime Video at all.