Amazon Readies Bid for English Premier League Soccer Streaming Rights

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon could be preparing to bid next month for the rights to stream English Premier League football (soccer) matches, if a report by Bloomberg this morning is anything to go by.

According to a source familiar with the matter, the digital giant sees the English Premier League as a huge opportunity to draw more people to its Prime membership service in the U.K. and convert occasional customers into more loyal shoppers.

[​IMG]

Amazon has already bought video streaming rights for live sport including tennis and the National Football League, but the Premier League remains Europe's most prized live sports broadcast asset and with a growing audience in the U.S., fits in perfectly with Amazon's broader strategy to bring more sports content to its global customers.

The e-commerce giant recently tied up a deal to produce a documentary series with Manchester City, the current Premier League leaders, which previously increased speculation that it might next pursue live soccer rights. Currently Sky and BT Sport share the rights to the EPL, following an auction in 2015 that saw the broadcasters splash £5.1 billion ($6.9 billion) between them for three seasons.

The next auction in February will see seven packages being offered by the Premier League, varying from 32 matches to 20 matches each. Amazon could bid for one of the smaller packages for broadcasting in the U.K., according to Bloomberg. Auctions for streaming rights in other markets are usually held separately. Both Amazon and the Premier League declined to comment.

Back in September, Apple revealed its own aspirations for offering more live sports through Apple TV 4K, with a new sports section on the device and in the new TV app offering integration with channels like ESPN. But despite sports generally being seen as a big selling point for any set-top-box device, Apple's offerings in the TV category remain skewed towards American audiences.

However, if Amazon chose to offer sports through its Prime Video app on Apple TV, it's theoretically possible that U.K. owners of Apple's set-top box could one day stream EPL matches to the device.

Article Link: Amazon Readies Bid for English Premier League Soccer Streaming Rights

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

3. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

YES PLEASE.

Seriously, break the Sky/BT duopoly. Shake things up!!

4. Brenster macrumors 6502a

As long as Amazon UK don’t increase subscription costs for the rest of us to cover (over) paying for sports rights, I don’t care.

Carve them off as a separate ‘add on’ subscription to Prime, jus dont increase the cost of Prime to cover it. Sky increasing their prices of non-sports packages to cover getting into a football bidding war with BT were the reasons I left them and went with their NowTV offering. A fraction of the monthly cost for the same content.

5. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

I’d be down if it means I can watch watch Manchester United legally and more often, at a lesser cost than what Sky or BT currently offer.

50 quid or so you are looking at right now to keep up with the Premier League in the UK . Ridiculous.

6. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

Sky aren't going to give up the golden goose, Amazon will have to pay mega bucks to get any rights worth having, (The Sunday games) and they'll have to charge a huge fee to subscribers. There's no chance this will be in the current package price. It's more likely the annual fee will become a monthly fee to meet the costs.

7. imicca macrumors regular

imicca

Premier League football !!! That's the correct way to say, nobody should change titles like you did. And nobody says "Premier League Soccer" anyway.
    Goddammit, we (non-Americans) don't say NFL as National Handegg League. Have some respect for our event

8. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

You know, I dislike Football quite a bit — but I am going to agree with you here.

Get it right FFS!

9. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

U guys play soccer omg what is that? Isn't that like, a girls sport?

This is probably a made up story - a way to scare BT / sky into increasing their respective bids.

10. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

All I care about in that sport is Iceland winning the World Cup.

Go Iceland!

11. AKDub macrumors newbie

Really not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I hated having to deal with Sky when they had everything, then BT came along and got some Prem games plus European games so now have to deal with them too, and I actually find them worse as a whole.

So now Amazon come along which will just mean paying a larger Prime subscription plus what I already pay to the other two (yes I realise I'm not forced to do any of this).

Apparently the new owners of F1 are looking to create their own digital platform so maybe this is the beginning of the end of the Sky Sports gravy train.

12. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

The original breakup of rights was supposed to break skys dominance of football, introduce competition, and lower prices for the consumer. It had the opposite effect on pricing. Wheras you needed one subscription, you now need two. Letting Amazon in will just mean you now need three subscriptions to watch all the PL games.

13. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Bezos ruined the once great Washington Post, Whole Foods quality has dropped noticibly since the acquisition and Amazon.com is the worst dumpster-fire on the Internet.

Prime Video is probably their best consumer offering, but I strongly oppose any more moves by this company to monopolize our lives. PL is my only guilty pleasure. If Bezos takes that from me too it’s official - he’s Satan.

14. Wash08 macrumors member

Wash08

15. srminton macrumors regular

srminton

I already stream some EPL matches on my Apple TV, using the NowTV app. But BT don’t allow streaming on Apple TV; and if they ever do, it will be restricted to BT Broadband customers, like their iOS app. So hopefully Amazon outbids BT, because there’s nothing worse than a company owning exclusive rights to content and using that to force you into using their inferior service or infrastructure.

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Do me a favour and grab the cricket too!!

17. addictive macrumors regular

The next round of rights will be interesting for those concerned because not only will Sky Sports and BT both want to secure games for their packages and to continue their profitable businesses. Amazon, like this article suggests will also aim to buy the rights as a way to get more people to sign up to their Prime delivery business. The two wild cards are whether Facebook and/or Netflix decide to bid. I'm not sure how Facebook would be able to monetise the rights other than obvious advertising, most people would be reluctant to pay Facebook a fee. Subscribers to Netflix already pay monthly. I think Disney are the surprise company here. Disney just acquired 21 Century Fox's assets and Disney will shortly start their new streaming service whether its an enhanced Hulu channel or a new one. Disney having EPL rights would be a game changer for them but at what cost to their other business (Sky which they are acquiring as part of 21C-Fox)?

It seems likely that matches are too vital to both BT and Sky for them to continue not overpaying like they've always done; now they fear losing out to these new entrants and will likely overpay again.

But wouldn't it be interesting if both BT and Sky Sports fail in securing the rights to EPL. It would be an end of an era and a start of a new (streaming) era.

18. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I would have cared a few years ago, but the animated advertising hoardings have changed me from an avid fan to someone who barely bothers. I find those adverts immensely irritating, and having more movement off-pitch than on makes the game appear much duller.

Football is too much of a money grab.

19. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

A lot of people already have Prime. It's a huge value add. This is another string to that bow.

I doubt it will be that many games, maybe 20 matches. I get what you're saying but I won't pay for Sky Sports or BT, so for me (in a Prime household) this is something, at least.

20. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a 'green screen' type way of digitally filling those hoardings with ads targeted at the particular country the broadcast is being received in.

21. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Similar to American Football without the suits of armour.

22. Madhava macrumors member

May be it is not clear to me but in India I see the TV rights and streaming rights are separate and both get all the matches. (As streaming is mostly done over mobile devices I think it is not impacting the TV channels).

23. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

A lot of streaming is done to the TV in the UK. Various set top boxes support content from Sky, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and others.

24. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

Just get it away from Sky. It is still way too expensive and they charge for HD channels, in 2018...absolutely ridiculous.

25. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

English Premier Soccer!??! Facepalm Macrumors... double facepalm.