Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
As long as Amazon UK don’t increase subscription costs for the rest of us to cover (over) paying for sports rights, I don’t care.

Carve them off as a separate ‘add on’ subscription to Prime, jus dont increase the cost of Prime to cover it. Sky increasing their prices of non-sports packages to cover getting into a football bidding war with BT were the reasons I left them and went with their NowTV offering. A fraction of the monthly cost for the same content.
This^^

I have Amazon Prime and, since I dislike football, I'd be sorely tempted to cancel it if Amazon upped the annual fee to pay for EPL streaming rights. I can wait a few days for free deliveries and there's not a lot on the bundled Prime TV that I'd miss.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
As long as Amazon UK don’t increase subscription costs for the rest of us to cover (over) paying for sports rights, I don’t care.

Carve them off as a separate ‘add on’ subscription to Prime, jus dont increase the cost of Prime to cover it. Sky increasing their prices of non-sports packages to cover getting into a football bidding war with BT were the reasons I left them and went with their NowTV offering. A fraction of the monthly cost for the same content.

TOTALLY this.

Virgin Media pissed me off no end by suddenly including BT Sport and putting up the price by £5 per month to cover it. I didn't want it and I sure as hell didn't want to pay for it.

They refused to take it off so I asked to cancel my entire TV service. They then took off the £5 for a year. After the year I realised I only really watch Netflix and Now TV anyway so I cancelled the entire TV service anyway.

If Amazon put the price up for everyone to cover it, I will soon be an ex-Amazon customer, too.
[doublepost=1515166157][/doublepost]
It's an American site and it's just a word, get over it already.

You won't complain when I refer to American Football as American Nancyball then?

It's only a word.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I hope they get every game including the FA Cup and let us watch live or after the fact. I’d get Prime just for this.

I had to listen to the Spurs Hammers match on the radio stream yesterday because my local sports broadcaster had 5 channels of poker instead.

imicca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2013
Yerevan, London
TOTALLY this.

Virgin Media pissed me off no end by suddenly including BT Sport and putting up the price by £5 per month to cover it. I didn't want it and I sure as hell didn't want to pay for it.

They refused to take it off so I asked to cancel my entire TV service. They then took off the £5 for a year. After the year I realised I only really watch Netflix and Now TV anyway so I cancelled the entire TV service anyway.

If Amazon put the price up for everyone to cover it, I will soon be an ex-Amazon customer, too.
[doublepost=1515166157][/doublepost]

You won't complain when I refer to American Football as American Nancyball then?

It's only a word.
or American Handegg League

Reactions: Morris

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ooh, I like “Handegg”. It makes a certain amount of sense.

I enjoy playing football/soccer but I can’t say I much like watching it.

Let me know when they bid on the rights to Quidditch ;)

Reactions: Massimo1926

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
sCI1i.jpg

Ill just put this right here........;)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
That would mean having to pay for 3 subscriptions to watch all of the EPL games. That’s just ridiculous and way too expensive. The government should scrap the policy of selling seven packages and just sell the EPL broadcast rights to one broadcaster.

Alternatively, I would much prefer it if I could just subscribe to watch all the games for my team.

Last edited:

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
According to the Bloomberg article, Amazon will bid for one of the "smaller" packages. That, to me, translates to matches covered by Sky + BT + Amazon. Not so welcome for the UK viewers if that's the case.

At least in the 'States it's still under one network (though the "Gold" package is a bit crap after having all included in the price of a tv subscription).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Be good if they take it away from BT.

And Sky!! Oh and Virgin, we have Sky Q because of the tennis, hopefully that’ll go to Amazon and Eurosport exclusively one day.

Unfortunately my sport is F1 and that won’t be going of Sky anytime soon.... But I would rather have Now TV and pay for the sports pass for the F1! Then have a full Sky sub, if we could get all th tennis elsewhere.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
And Sky!! Oh and Virgin, we have Sky Q because of the tennis, hopefully that’ll go to Amazon and Eurosport exclusively one day.

Unfortunately my sport is F1 and that won’t be going of Sky anytime soon.... But I would rather have Now TV and pay for the sports pass for the F1! Then have a full Sky sub, if we could get all th tennis elsewhere.

I'm fine with it staying on Sky. I have a gripe with BT as I don't get BT Sport free on Sky despite the fact I spend £70 a month on BT Business Broadband, but if I paid £15 a month for residential broadband with BT I would get it free.

Reactions: SaxPlayer

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'm fine with it staying on Sky. I have a gripe with BT as I don't get BT Sport free on Sky despite the fact I spend £70 a month on BT Business Broadband, but if I paid £15 a month for residential broadband with BT I would get it free.

Actually no you don’t, we have BT home broadband, Infinity, and you do not get it free on Sky, you have to pay for that, we get it free through their app for tablets etc.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
Yas! I bet Amazon would handle it better than NBC is handling it now.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011

All ATP tennis is on Amazon from 2019. (Except the slams)

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK

No you wouldn't, unless as part of some time-limited introductory offer. They only ran that for a year or two, then quietly attached a price to it.

Massimo1926

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2017
I was rooting for Apple to bid for sports rights across the planet, I really see that as the only remaining angle to access the living room as services like Netflix and Prime Video keep consolidating their advantage, and is certainly more interesting than karaoke or shows about houses.

Hopefully, the day is near when we are able to stream any sports events from any part of the world hassle-free, maybe on a single team subscription and pay-per-view basis for other events.

Case in point, I live in the UK and I was unable to see this game. As you can see it is available EVERYWHERE in the world from US Virgin Islands to Yemen (yes, Yemen), but no *legal* way to see this in the UK, in this day and age... And we are talking about the leader in Serie A, not the third division of Micronesia (no offense).

... but it seems Amazon is going to beat Apple to the sports game so HEY, AMAZON, HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

fullsizeoutput_1e36.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.