Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Yep, I'm getting the same message. But I've only tried getting a magazine (and sounds like other people are experiencing the same problems with magazines and/or newspapers).
A shame, as I'm not really interested in reading books on my iPhone, but magazines/newspapers would be cool for my subway rides...

Agreed. I think it's just something they have to fix though.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Exactly. Bring on the $399 7-inch iPod touch, and I'll be first in line.

I agree with QCassidy above. No one form factor will "win". It's like the iPod and Apple TV: They're complementary channels for different environments. Kindle-sized for hour-long sessions at home. Iphone-sized for a quick fix on the go.

Amazon likely realized they NEED different form factors to succeed in e-books. Rather than re-invent the wheel (and then convince folks to BUY it in a down economy. And then need to support various hardware platforms long term) they just jumped on the Apple bandwagon.

Nice move.

Here's a thought experiment: Imagine Apple invented and marketed the AppleTV before the iPod came into being. The iTunes store (content sales) would be no big deal (much like the Kindle), yes?

Next, after lackluster sales, imagine they invent the "AppleTV-to-go" (ie., the iPod/iPhone) with all the content and distribution infrastructure already in-place. How do you think sales will do then?

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Cool, but Canada gets shafted again...
Why does the US forget about us, we're right above them?! :confused:

DigitalDorf

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Does the iPhone still automatically dim the screen while this app is open? Because I don't want to have to keep touching the screen to be able to read the text. It's a deal breaker.

Wont have to worry about that because you will be touching the screen often enough to turn the pages that this will never come into play..

only thing I do not care for is that you can not read in landscape mode..

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Yup....

I think you are totally misreading this market, as well as the importance of the device itself.

All people need is access to content. The iPhone is perfectly acceptable as an eBook reader. By comparison to Kindle, it makes no difference.

After using this particular app for 45 minutes, I feel like I just got a Free Kindle.

As far comparison to reading a book, the Font size I'm using on the Iphone screen is twice the size of a paperback book. Lower the brightness you're good to go.

100% dead on accurate. The comparison only matters if you want to spend the extra money on another device, even better for reading than the iPhone. Some will, some won't. Others will await the news that the content is available on both their iPhone and their computer.

My laptop is already jumping up and down saying me too, me too.
Down boy. :p

Soon. :)

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Well, whaddya know. My Kindle - bought on impulse two days ago - arrives later this afternoon. Looks like I get to double my fun!

tropic10

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2008
Well, whaddya know. My Kindle - bought on impulse two days ago - arrives later this afternoon. Looks like I get to double my fun!

Same here. Both devices should compliment each other well and I can't wait to try out my Kindle when I get home from work.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
ebooks on the iphone are not meant to compete with the Kindle; they are for different markets. the iphone does ebooks "well enough" to use on the train in the morning, while you're waiting in line, basically whenever you have a few spare minutes.

*snip*

I recently endured a 4 hour transfer from ski resort to airport, followed by a 2 hour wait, a 1.5 hour flight and, finally, a 1 hour train journey home. I read pretty much all the way, using eReader on my iPhone, so I think you're under-estimating its utility.

Once the user has set the font size, line spacing, colour scheme and screen-brightness to suit their eyes, it's just as easy to read as paper.

That said, I haven't actually used a dedicated e-ink machine, so I've no real comparison.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
To me, this is a further indication that there's a new device heading our way in the not too distant future...

It will have a bigger screen and higher resolution, and will at least be as powerful as the iPhone.

I think the kindle as a hardware device will soon become extinct.

Well, maybe. But the Kindle's advantage as I see it is battery life through e-ink and the free whispernet connection. I can't see Apple releasing any device that won't do video or apps (since they make a lot of money on both) and e-ink technology is a ways from that. Also, I can't see Apple releasing a device with a comparable free network.

Edit: I'd still buy Apple's device, especially if it could do enough in the way of basic e-mailing and office stuff. Add the standard iPod/iPhone capabilities and I'm that much closer to never needing a laptop again. My computing demands are light and I'm waiting impatiently for the day they can be fulfilled by a well-designed pocketable device. Some - OQO for example - are close, but not yet there. Kindle will be a step in the right direction, I think.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
"It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore," he said. "Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole [Kindle] conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore."

But you know what? 90% of the people in the US don't use Macintosh software. So what is the point of selling computers that run Mac Software because "nobody" uses it.

If I could sell a book a cheap $250 book reader even at a small 10% margin to even 1% of the world I'd be more than rich. I don't care if 40% don't read. I just need to sell to those few (one in a hundred) people who likely got straight "As" in school and still read.

Isn't that Apple's business model? Sell only to a very small and selected market, those who can and will buy a premium price for a premium product. Apple purposely ignores that largest segment of the computer market, the low end.

slevit1

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
screenshots

The text is perfectly readable. Here are the size options:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 56
  • photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 53
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 52
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 48

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Thanks for the screenshots.

I wish it had subpixel anti-aliasing, but I know that would have to be custom (the OS doesn't seem to do it) and orientation-dependent.

I'm sure Jobs and his friends read. I bet most successful people do. His quote that "people don't read anymore" was based on a statistic that 40% of people in the U.S. read one book or less in 2007.

Here is the relevant passage from the New York Times:
"It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore," he said. "Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole [Kindle] conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore."

In other words, 60% of people in the U.S. read two books or more last year, and some unknown number of the rest read one book? Sounds like a sizable "niche" market to me! Especially when electronic downloads have no manufacturing cost.

If Jobs meant that books don't have a big enough market to be worth going after in "e" form, I'd have to disagree. Even a small niche can make money, and/or pave the way for future profits. (Example: AppleTV!)

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks for the screenshots.
If Jobs meant that books don't have a big enough market to be worth going after in "e" form, I'd have to disagree. Even a small niche can make money, and/or pave the way for future profits. (Example: AppleTV!)

I think this was a little truth mixed with a little misdirection. The truth is that Apple tends to compete in markets that most people participate in: most people listen to music, use computers, have cell phones, and watch tv. Most people, however, don't read many books. Also, Apple tends to enter more mature markets so that it can learn from other companies mistakes.

So basically Jobs was saying that Apple's product strategy doesn't fit with making a book reader. Amazon's product strategy, of course, is completely different. They are focused on selling books, so a book reader makes perfect sense for them.

Apple may end up competing in the book reader space through the same mechanism that iPhones and iPods entered the gaming space. However, the convergence of books and iDevices is probably a long ways off.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Here are some shots off my iphone. I have 79 books in my file with Amazon. Most of it is free. About 20 I paid between $.99-$9.99 for them.

Attachments

• ebookiphone 04.png
    ebookiphone 04.png
    65 KB · Views: 51
  • ebookiphone 03.png
    ebookiphone 03.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 50
  • ebookiphone 02.png
    ebookiphone 02.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 57
  • ebookiphone 01.png
    ebookiphone 01.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 52

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I was considering getting a Kindle, but only on two conditions:
1. The price is lower (much lower) than $359.
2. I could buy the ebook version from Amazon along with the hard copy for a discount.

I buy and read a lot of books, and I'd much rather grab a book than read from a screen. But I'd gladly buy all my books from Amazon (currently, Barnes and Noble is usually cheaper with my membership discount) and pay a couple of dollars extra if I could also download the ebook. I always have my iPhone with me, so being able to read whatever book I'm reading at the moment when waiting in line or on the train would be great.

Still, I'll probably try this out with a couple of books. But I'm waiting for condition 2 before I go all out.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
More. It's very easy to read though no way as good as reading off the Kindle. I think the new design is so much better than the first I guess I'll give my current to my mother a get the newer one. It's just nice to be able to see my Amazon library on my iphone and to also read from it. Nothing like having the complete works of HP Lovecraft at my fingertips. :D If you wait a few months you will be able to get one for $300 off ebay...that's what I did with the first Kindle.

Attachments

• ebookiphone 05.png
    ebookiphone 05.png
    37 KB · Views: 45
  • ebookiphone 06.png
    ebookiphone 06.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 50

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Cool, but Canada gets shafted again...
Why does the US forget about us, we're right above them?! :confused:
Canadian publishing rights are different than the US and every other country. That is why the Kindle is US only - Amazon does not have the respective publishing rights for every country.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
Just tried the Kindle link and this is way cool. I think that this will be a huge business deal for both companies.

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
On the Magazines and Newpapers, don't know the issue that is causing the problem but on the amazon site sales pages in those catagories do not suggest the iPhone/Touch as a platform, where as the sales page for book titles do. Could be a restrained on Amazon's part for now to only allow books on the iPhone and Touch.

Pj

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
Next iPhone that I buy will have as much ram as offered so that I can cram more books onto it. I love this Kindle deal.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Question though - how many of you would prefer to sit/lie/curl up with an electronic screen (even the Kindle's) to forgo the purchase of real hard copy book? just wondering here.

I would deff go for reading magazines on it - and not have to deal with the post office ripping them up, but a book.... I don't know.....

That's actually a really great question.
I would personally prefer a book, mainly because it's easier on my eyes, and usually cheaper. I can pick up a book easily without spending any money, especially used books.
And I just like the feel of an old book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.