Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apple fans and conspiracy theories

Hmmm. Amazon "appstore". Amazon "cloud". Coincidental timing in each case. Hmmm.

Rocketman

You are ignorant of the real history.

Amazon announced their "cloud" service in August 2006 - quite some time before the Iphone was announced.

I'd say that Apple is the one running the copying machines here, except that "cloud" has long been a generic term.

rock15478

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
I'm surprised not many have responded with this...

Google Music Beta?

I have 16,000 songs uploaded now. My entire music collection. Completely available anywhere. Completely free.

Granted, you have to buy the music (or steal it) from somewhere, but I'm someone who has my entire music collection ripped and hate the thought of needing to keep it backed up.

And Google stores this all on the cloud for me... for free.

The uploading happens behind the scenes. You just link your itunes library.

I honestly really really REALLY want to like iCloud. I love Apple products and all my computers are macs...

However, I have an Android phone and do love google products as well...

And so far, I can do everything that iCloud is GOING to offer (not even available yet) via my Android phone and google products. Everything. For absolutely nothing. Now, believe me, I really want to love iCloud. Can someone please convince me otherwise? I'm all ears. I'm really not a Google fan boy either, or Apple hater by any means

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You are ignorant of the real history.

Amazon announced their "cloud" service in August 2006 - quite some time before the Iphone was announced.

I'd say that Apple is the one running the copying machines here, except that "cloud" has long been a generic term.

We had tablets years ago.

It took Apple to do it right. You'll see the same with iCloud.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Unless Amazon have done a deal with the Music Labels, you'll still only have access to your own music on Amazon's cloud. So if you want 20GB of music up there, enjoy uploading all 20GB of it. Unlike Apple where you only need to have your itunes list sync with what's in the itunes servers and within (I would guess) less than 1 hour you can be listening to anything you own on any of your iDevices.

To me this is a half-hearted "me too" attempt. Without Music Label support (to stop the huge uploads via allowing music streaming), access to the service on other Safari mobile browsers (the press release says this "To access Cloud Player for iPad, customers simply open their Safari browser"), and something equivalent to iTunes Match this whole service is just not as good as the Apple offering.

Add in all the App syncing and other stuff the Apple version has and you can really see how the Amazon version falls short. If I was to choose between the two services, Apple's and Amazon's, Apple's would win everytime. The Amazon service would really need to get much better before I'd ever consider it. (That's if I was a US citizen and in a place able to consider both, but I'm not from the US, still I can have an opinion on these things).

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Heh, I bought the lady gaga album for 99 cents which gave me a free upgrade to the 20gb plan that day. Apparently I am getting the unlimited music storage upgrade as well. Sorry apple, but you lost this one.

I'm currently backing up ALL my own (self produced music) to the amazon cloud. And loving it. With 20gb left for documents and photos etc. while playing (streaming) playback to my ipad.

Just too nice, and the fan bois sing, doo dee doo boo hoo hee hoo hee hoo hee boo hee hoo

I'm looking at $20 for 2 years of unlimited music with no goofy re-downloading or whatever.
Good luck on using it outside of the US. Even if you are an American customer, you lose access to your music in the Amazon cloud as soon as you try to access it outside of the US.

If you never travel outside of the US then you might not care but it seems a little stupid don't you think?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Agree!! and you don't need to wait it to load up to your iDevices, it's always there for you to listen on the street!! Cool thing is i can now stream my music from amazon thru airplay too :)

And in other news, tomorrow marks the end of yet another carrier's unlimited data plan. Good luck "on the street."

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Good luck on using it outside of the US. Even if you are an American customer, you lose access to your music in the Amazon cloud as soon as you try to access it outside of the US.

If you never travel outside of the US then you might not care but it seems a little stupid don't you think?

Easily by-passed with a VPN which any traveler ought to have anyways.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm surprised not many have responded with this...

Google Music Beta?

I have 16,000 songs uploaded now. My entire music collection. Completely available anywhere. Completely free.

Granted, you have to buy the music (or steal it) from somewhere, but I'm someone who has my entire music collection ripped and hate the thought of needing to keep it backed up.

And Google stores this all on the cloud for me... for free.

The uploading happens behind the scenes. You just link your itunes library.

I honestly really really REALLY want to like iCloud. I love Apple products and all my computers are macs...

However, I have an Android phone and do love google products as well...

And so far, I can do everything that iCloud is GOING to offer (not even available yet) via my Android phone and google products. Everything. For absolutely nothing. Now, believe me, I really want to love iCloud. Can someone please convince me otherwise? I'm all ears. I'm really not a Google fan boy either, or Apple hater by any means

Yet to see a decent music player on any Android device (I've owned 4).

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010

If there is one area that Apple has not proven they can "do it right", it is with cloud related functionality.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Umm the cloud has been done right for quite some time.

Dropbox works really well.
Google system works really well.

Apple iCloud from what I have seen on it offers nothing that is not already out there and working well.
Dropbox handles my files, Google handles everything else.
Top it off I have 7 gigs of free space currently on Drop box and it is growing. I more than likely will cross 10 gigs by the end of the year completely free as well.

Apple is not beating that.
Apple is not beating Amazon free services as well on Cloud drive. Google cloud music system will be cheaper and chances are will be free for a very long time to come up to a certain point.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Who knows whether it is lossless when he hears it? What a comment that means little when played on most devices.
There's plenty of literature on the matter, I suggest you read it. Moreover, he's not talking about storing lossless on the cloud, necessarily, but just a simple way of converting it before it moves to the cloud. iCloud certainly has this feature, so does syncing to my iPhone or iPad.

Google Music doesn't support this feature, either.. and everything I purchased as CDs is not on Google Music as a result. There's also quite a few online purchases that are there as lossless in my library, also ignored by Google Music's sync service.

$20 for an incomplete cloud locker of music isn't anything I'd want to pay for.

It's an important feature, and iCloud supports it from the start.

charks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Personally I think this is awesome. I get a lot of music from Amazon. Its cheaper a lot of times than iTunes. $0.69 vs. $1.29. I'll take Amazon please. Amazon has also been doing DRM free music since the beginning, something I also have an appreciation for.

I like that I can keep all my Amazon.com purchased music "in the cloud" for free and not have to store them locally, if I don't want to.

There's a lot of hate in this thread and I'm not sure why.

Completely agree. I've yet to find an album cheaper through iTunes vs. Amazon. And as a previous poster mentioned...dead simple to download.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Easily by-passed with a VPN which any traveler ought to have anyways.
LOL Thanks for the laugh. I needed that. The average consumer will not know enough to do that. If Apple is smart, they will allow iCloud subscription service from around the world like they do right now with iTunes purchases.

Apple iCloud from what I have seen on it offers nothing that is not already out there and working well.
Top it off I have 7 gigs of free space currently on Drop box and it is growing. I more than likely will cross 10 gigs by the end of the year completely free as well.

Apple is not beating Amazon free services as well on Cloud drive. Google cloud music system will be cheaper and chances are will be free for a very long time to come up to a certain point.
Uh huh... right. Dropbox is a clumsy alternative to iDisk and Google's system is clumsy at best.

Don't get me wrong, I do use Gmail for filtering spam and I used Google calendar briefly but their service is not as great as you claim it to be. I also tried Dropbox but I never have actually used it.

Do you work for Google or something?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
LOL Thanks for the laugh. I needed that. The average consumer will not know enough to do that. If Apple is smart, they will allow iCloud subscription service from around the world like they do right now with iTunes purchases.

Who knows? Did the content owners allow such a provision in their deal? Doesn't seem likely. They will most likely be restricted to USA like the others.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The trend in this thread seems to be to downvote anyone who naysays this new Amazon cloud offering, but here I go... On the go is when I often listen to my music, and usually that means you have to do it over 3G. This service would run up your data usage needlessly. Why should you use up twice the data to listen to the song twice? Does this make sense to anyone? Doesn't it make more sense to have the song download to your device for listening later? The only improvement Apple needs to make is to let you listen to your music while it downloads. Once that's in place, this service will no longer make any sense. I can see this as a very likely change in the near future.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Owning the whole widget is an auto-win for Apple in this case. It usually is.

iCloud is fully integrated into iOS 5 and Lion. THAT is the major selling point. That undergirds all of iCloud. The fact that it's made for and integral to the iPad is absolutely huge.

Seperate, outside surface tech can't beat that.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Owing the whole widget is an auto-win for Apple in this case. It usually is.

iCloud is fully integrated into iOS 5 and Lion. THAT is the major selling point. That undergirds all of iCloud. The fact that it's made for and integral to the iPad is absolutely huge.

so only works fully on less than 7% of computers out there... Compare that to drop box that works on 100% of computers.
So much for being a game changer when how it works is so limited.

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
AWESOME, this is actually pretty neat as apple doesnt really understand what cloud access to music means. redownloads of ur music from the store r fine but pointless as they fill up ur iphone space just as much as synching the music in the first

R u serus? Can't tell 4 sure what u r trying to saa.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Owing the whole widget is an auto-win for Apple in this case. It usually is.

I agree on the integration, I think iCloud will be great. Not necessarily too stunning at launch but it will improve no doubt.

That said, MobileMe has generally been agreed upon as a disaster any way you slice it and it had a lot of iOS integration as well...

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
AWESOME, this is actually pretty neat as apple doesnt really understand what cloud access to music means. redownloads of ur music from the store r fine but pointless as they fill up ur iphone space just as much as synching the music in the first
R u serus? Can't tell 4 sure what u r trying to saa.

I think we're just as unsure about what you're trying to saa[sic].

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.