MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon launched Anime Strike this week, the company's first self-branded content to appear under its Channels subscriptions program for Prime members.

Anime Strike offers U.S. Prime members access to over 1,000 anime TV shows and movies for an extra $4.99 per month on top of the $99 Prime subscription. Amazon says the adult-themed channel will serve up seinen classics as well as weekly anime exclusives from Japan. A seven-day free trial lets Prime members check out the channel, which features "The Great Passage", "Scum's Wish", and "Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga", as well as anime classics like "Paprika" and "Tokyo Godfathers".

amazon-anime-strike-800x363.jpg

Amazon's existing add-on video subscription services include channels such as HBO, Comedy Central's Stand-Up Plus, and Cinemax, but Anime Strike is the company's first own-branded, curated offering. Speaking to Variety, Amazon said it plans to launch additional branded subscription VOD channels in the coming months.

The move indicates intensifying competition among streaming services, with a wider range of exclusive content becoming increasingly necessary if companies are to fend off rival offerings. Back in November, sources claimed Apple was considering a price drop for Apple Music in time for the holiday period, with Amazon cited as the "biggest motivation" for the discussions over monthly pricing. However, the service's $9.99 price tag remains in place, and with reports this week that Apple is planning to create its own original TV shows for Apple Music, more content rather than lower cost appears to be the overriding strategy.

Amazon already serves up original TV content to Prime members through Instant Video, while the company's Amazon Music Unlimited service costs $7.99 per month (or $9.99 per month for non-Prime members). According to The Wall Street Journal, Amazon has held talks with a number of sports leagues including the NFL and NBA about obtaining live game rights, with a view to either including a sports package as part of its Prime membership or offering it as a paid add-on.

In July of last year, Amazon U.S. was estimated to have 63 million Prime members - more than half the online retailer's customer base.

Article Link: Amazon Reveals Curated TV Subscriptions Strategy with 'Anime Strike' Prime Channel

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
Not something I will personally use, but always good to see Amazon expanding Prime and including new options. The fact that they are never content with their current state of the Prime service is one of the reasons I choose them over Netflix.

Comment

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
Many anime fans are actually pretty livid about this, since Amazon has locked up one of the Winter season's few good shows, Scum's Wish, and the price is pretty hefty if you're not already a Prime subscriber. Even if you are, $5/month is arguably not worth a small number of exclusives and a bunch of stuff available elsewhere.

Anime fans had been counting on the consolidation of the streaming market with last year's tie-up between leading services Crunchyroll and Funimation (which are now both available as part of the $10/mo Vrv bundle… EDIT: and are also available free-with-commercials), and the thought of needing to pay for four or five separate subscriptions has more than a few fans publicly proclaiming that they're just going to go back to the piracy tactics that were mainstream prior to the emergence of Crunchyroll.

Last edited:
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Many anime fans are actually pretty livid about this, since Amazon has locked up one of the Winter season's few good shows, Scum's Wish, and the price is pretty hefty if you're not already a Prime subscriber. Even if you are, $5/month is arguably not worth a small number of exclusives and a bunch of stuff available elsewhere.

Anime fans had been counting on the consolidation of the streaming market with last year's tie-up between leading services Crunchyroll and Funimation (which are now both available as part of the $10/mo Vrv bundle), and the thought of needing to pay for four or five separate subscriptions has more than a few fans publicly proclaiming that they're just going to go back to the piracy tactics that were mainstream prior to the emergence of Crunchyroll.
Well anime fans are going to be at the front of a long line of livid fans of multiple genres. This is what it's going to be going forward. Tons of mini subscriptions to get the full compliment of what you want. That a la carte pipe dream a lot of people want is unsustainable. Always has been, always will be. So people will have to pony up for a load of mini subscriptions or pirate. Good times.

Comment

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
I already have Crunchyroll for subs and Funimation for dubs I don't see the value in this for such limited content I have amazon prime and barely use the streaming service

Reactions: ogun7 and Plutonius
Comment

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Not something I will personally use, but always good to see Amazon expanding Prime and including new options. The fact that they are never content with their current state of the Prime service is one of the reasons I choose them over Netflix.

How long before Amazon makes their "prime" package have less features/content so they an spin it off as another add-on?

Comment

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Amazon Prime, a long list of benefits plus a competitive video offering for $99, great value.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I like Anime, so I'll have to check it out. Amazon is pushing hard at trying to compete with Netflix. This can only be good news for us consumers.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Where is my Hentai?!

Completely kidding you know Amazon would have this but never state anything if the sort. To be honest I'd be surprised if Hentai was commonly known in the North America's.

Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Well anime fans are going to be at the front of a long line of livid fans of multiple genres. This is what it's going to be going forward. Tons of mini subscriptions to get the full compliment of what you want. That a la carte pipe dream a lot of people want is unsustainable. Always has been, always will be. So people will have to pony up for a load of mini subscriptions or pirate. Good times.
I never thought why people believed anything would happen to make content like this become available for cheaper than before for the average user.

The content industry has a firm enough grip, they will do whatever gets them the most money, you can call it big bundle or small package options, in the end they will incentivize you to pony up the same dough or even more.

What does change is the "on demand" aspect that gets stronger these days, but Joe's bill will still be plenty high.

That being said, anime is some of the easiest to get content for free or cheap.
Amazon are facing tough competition, so I assume they will long for those exclusives big time and the only way to hinder that would be not to legitimize their efforts with your wallet.

Then again you should also give this a thought: competition might drive prices further down, because of all the paid portals, well... there aren't too many afaik.

Oh well, I have a big backlog anyways and if I'm gonna stream animes it's for free, otherwise sign me up for the BluRay or something. Anime boxes are fun to collect, then again manga are much more rewarding to put on a shelf, imho.

Glassed Silver:mac

Comment

kuropju

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2016
Germany
So I have to pay more on top of membership charge? No thanks. I'll continue to use google to get my free anime
Yes continue complaining about price increases because of improved content. Oh and continue using google for your "free" anime while not supporting the people spending time, work and a lot of effort to make you enjoy anime.

Reactions: darbus69
Comment

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Of all the streaming services, I find Amazon's to be the worst (both in title selection and video quality). If I didn't take advantage of the shipping perk regularly, there is no way I'd continue my Prime subscription.

And on topic, this news is particularly ironic because Amazon censors its anime offerings on Prime. They think I'll pay them extra for more butchered content? No thanks. It's practically insulting.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Spotted 高町なのは.

Well, even with Amazon Prime... hmm. I don't think I could even use any of them using an Australian account. I suppose this is not useable in Australia Amazon right?

Plus, most Japanese companies put domestic market at their first priority, not international market, even the United States.

There will still be a long time to allow conventional anime lovers to "subscribe one, get everything", or it will never happen??
[doublepost=1484501838][/doublepost]
Of all the streaming services, I find Amazon's to be the worst (both in title selection and video quality). If I didn't take advantage of the shipping perk regularly, there is no way I'd continue my Prime subscription.

And on topic, this news is particularly ironic because Amazon censors its anime offerings on Prime. They think I'll pay them extra for more butchered content? No thanks. It's practically insulting.
Sometimes pirated contents provide better overall qualities than genuine contents, if Amazon censors their anime offerings. Hope I understand "censor" right.

Reactions: ogun7
Comment

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
if Amazon censors their anime offerings. Hope I understand "censor" right.
I am specifically referring to Amazon removing/cutting-out more-adult content/scenes from all of the mature animes they have on Prime. Not even hentai, but pretty much anything that would make the show MA or R vs PG13. I don't like Amazon acting as a nanny on what I watch. Unless you're watching kid-targeted anime, Amazon Prime is terrible for it.

Comment

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
"Adult-themed;" so like hentai?o_O
No. Amazon has a deal on exclusive streaming rights for Fuji TV's "Noitamina" programming block (yes, that's "animation" spelled backwards), which has typically been reserved for more sophisticated, thoughtful, or artistic anime, as opposed to anime based on mobile games or trifling light novels. I think "adult-oriented" might be a better description. FWIW, very few Noitamina shows are particularly sexual at all (although this season's Scum's Wish is a notable exception).

Comment

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
just wait (and wait and wait and wait) until Eddy Cue will crush them with his content deals

Comment

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The only reason I have Amazon Prime is for the free 1-day or 2-day shipping, and OK, Man In the High Castle is a good bonus. But if they start nickel-and-diming us for content, or keep raising the price for the shipping to subsidize video content, screw that, I'm out.

Comment

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Yes continue complaining about price increases because of improved content. Oh and continue using google for your "free" anime while not supporting the people spending time, work and a lot of effort to make you enjoy anime.
Do you know how licensing work? If you want to support the creators, although still indirect, buy the Japanese DVDs/blurays. Do you?

As for pricing, If the licensor's price offering doesn't suit some customers, it's not the customer's fault. Besides, people will always pirate, I think we already establish that. The key is to offer a frictionless offering at certain price to capture those that are willing to pay (remember how iTunes helped the music industry?)

Comment

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
how about fixing the quality of the service first?

Crunchyroll has everything an anime fan needs but if this BS of exclusives is starting to catch up I'll just go back to watching things for free

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
I am specifically referring to Amazon removing/cutting-out more-adult content/scenes from all of the mature animes they have on Prime. Not even hentai, but pretty much anything that would make the show MA or R vs PG13. I don't like Amazon acting as a nanny on what I watch. Unless you're watching kid-targeted anime, Amazon Prime is terrible for it.
Thanks a lot for your explanation.
Then, I would better continue pirating anime or selectively purchase BD BOXES for those I love.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.