Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I hope not, but that was the first thing I thought too lol. See great Amazon Exclusives like "Tentacle Schoolgirl Love Love" for only $4.99 a month...
Actually by US standard, even the original Japanese Pokemon show would be rated for Adult only. There's a reason why many anime in the US are censored and localized heavily.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Actually by US standard, even the original Japanese Pokemon show would be rated for Adult only. There's a reason why many anime in the US are censored and localized heavily.
Which further increases the need for pirating because probably the pirated version is not censored in any way.
Feels strange that many anime music are not R18 rated.

Wandering Wastrel

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Ohio
The only reason I have Amazon Prime is for the free 1-day or 2-day shipping,

Yeah, that's why I have Prime, too. However, just last week I paid the extra shipping fee to move an item up from free 2-day to overnight delivery; the order page said if ordered within the next 17 hours, I'd have it the next day. Alas, it didn't even leave the Amazon warehouse until the day after. On asking for a refund of only the extra overnight fee, they sent a stern email to me chastising me for believing what I read on their site, and informing me that the overnight 'guarantee' is only for the delivery carrier, and only starts counting after it leaves their warehouse. So if it takes them a week to bother to get around to dragging it over to the outgoing dock, too bad for me. They did deign to refund me the extra shipping fee, out of the goodness of their hearts.

The item in question was, ironically, an anime Blu-Ray. Having been thus informed that no promised shipping time from Amazon means a damn thing anymore, I cancelled the 12 anime Blu-Ray preorders I had already placed via Amazon, and ordered them elsewhere. Fortunately, now what Amazon chooses to charge for their anime streaming does not concern me, as I will not be renewing my Prime membership.

I share this not to complain (well, not just to complain), but to let others know that Amazon's Prime membership seems to be continually evolving. Or devolving.

Reactions: tonyr6

doncarver

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I too wish that Amazon had a cheaper Prime like it was originally...just for 2-day shipping. However, back then, I didn't have an AZDC (Amazon Distribution Center) in my or an adjacent state, and shipments usually shipped 2-day via the carrier. Today, most things ship Ground or USPS, and I feel like the only thing I'm really gaining for being a Prime member is for them to make my order a priority to get it out their door.

And like you said, even that doesn't happen...a couple times I've also decided against a $8.99 overnight fee, only to see my order not ship out until a day later, and arrive via USPS ground 1 day after that, meeting the 2-day commitment. To be fair, I like how they will ship via USPS for Sunday delivery now, and a couple times I've seen a promise of next day USPS within my regular 2-day shipping choice...which I guess only goes to show how unpredictable the Amazon shipping process is.

BTW, when I claimed a free month of Prime due to a late shipment, my Prime renewal failed, with multiple calls to support and supervisors to get it straightened out, and doing without those shipping benefits for over a week in the process. And of course, that was right before Christmas when I really needed it! No incentive offered for the inconvenience there either.

Yeah, that's why I have Prime, too. However, just last week I paid the extra shipping fee to move an item up from free 2-day to overnight delivery; the order page said if ordered within the next 17 hours, I'd have it the next day. Alas, it didn't even leave the Amazon warehouse until the day after. On asking for a refund of only the extra overnight fee, they sent a stern email to me chastising me for believing what I read on their site, and informing me that the overnight 'guarantee' is only for the delivery carrier, and only starts counting after it leaves their warehouse. So if it takes them a week to bother to get around to dragging it over to the outgoing dock, too bad for me. They did deign to refund me the extra shipping fee, out of the goodness of their hearts.

The item in question was, ironically, an anime Blu-Ray. Having been thus informed that no promised shipping time from Amazon means a damn thing anymore, I cancelled the 12 anime Blu-Ray preorders I had already placed via Amazon, and ordered them elsewhere. Fortunately, now what Amazon chooses to charge for their anime streaming does not concern me, as I will not be renewing my Prime membership.

I share this not to complain (well, not just to complain), but to let others know that Amazon's Prime membership seems to be continually evolving. Or devolving.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Many anime fans are actually pretty livid about this, since Amazon has locked up one of the Winter season's few good shows, Scum's Wish, and the price is pretty hefty if you're not already a Prime subscriber. Even if you are, $5/month is arguably not worth a small number of exclusives and a bunch of stuff available elsewhere.

Anime fans had been counting on the consolidation of the streaming market with last year's tie-up between leading services Crunchyroll and Funimation (which are now both available as part of the $10/mo Vrv bundle… EDIT: and are also available free-with-commercials), and the thought of needing to pay for four or five separate subscriptions has more than a few fans publicly proclaiming that they're just going to go back to the piracy tactics that were mainstream prior to the emergence of Crunchyroll.
As a former CrunchyRoll subscriber, I'm not livid at all. Frankly, F CrunchyRoll. The UI has always been trash and sorting titles a hassle. And for some reason the Xbox one and ATV apps are constantly logging me out, which isn't a big deal on a laptop but a huge freaking chore on any app that requires navigating an onscreen keyboard with a remote control.
So far I'm very much enjoying Strike, just hope they add more titles soon.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Many anime fans are actually pretty livid about this, since Amazon has locked up one of the Winter season's few good shows, Scum's Wish, and the price is pretty hefty if you're not already a Prime subscriber. Even if you are, $5/month is arguably not worth a small number of exclusives and a bunch of stuff available elsewhere.

Anime fans had been counting on the consolidation of the streaming market with last year's tie-up between leading services Crunchyroll and Funimation (which are now both available as part of the $10/mo Vrv bundle… EDIT: and are also available free-with-commercials), and the thought of needing to pay for four or five separate subscriptions has more than a few fans publicly proclaiming that they're just going to go back to the piracy tactics that were mainstream prior to the emergence of Crunchyroll.
But hey, anime fans are probably the most swotted up on how to get that show without subscribing to Prime. Of all video audiences they're the ones you can't mess around with.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
No Apple TV app, no interest. I'm already a Prime member, Amazon -- why no Apple TV app for Prime Video, gimme a break already! You don't need to give Apple a cut if you don't sell subscriptions from within the app, so that's no excuse!

deepFlaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
Worcester
I'm pretty sure this article's mistaken- other sites reported 1000 episodes and movies, not shows and movies. The amount of content being offered here isn't great.

Yes continue complaining about price increases because of improved content. Oh and continue using google for your "free" anime while not supporting the people spending time, work and a lot of effort to make you enjoy anime.

It's not improved content, though. For example: one of the shows that's only offered in the US through Anime Strike, The Great Passage, actually aired last season. Other countries got episodes as it aired through the regular Amazon Prime video service. But for the US they held off putting it up without any explanation and are now charging extra for it.

And a ton of the people I've seen criticize this (me included) have Crunchyroll subscriptions; not everyone is a pirate like you assumed. Crunchyroll is the same price per month for a whole lot more anime and a ton of manga as well (which is what I actually primarily use it for these days). One of those manga is Scum's Wish, and even if the anime looks fairly generic compared to its beautiful art I was interested in watching the adaptation... I guess that's not happening now.

kuropju

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2016
Germany
I'm pretty sure this article's mistaken- other sites reported 1000 episodes and movies, not shows and movies. The amount of content being offered here isn't great.

It's not improved content, though. For example: one of the shows that's only offered in the US through Anime Strike, The Great Passage, actually aired last season. Other countries got episodes as it aired through the regular Amazon Prime video service. But for the US they held off putting it up without any explanation and are now charging extra for it.

And a ton of the people I've seen criticize this (me included) have Crunchyroll subscriptions; not everyone is a pirate like you assumed. Crunchyroll is the same price per month for a whole lot more anime and a ton of manga as well (which is what I actually primarily use it for these days). One of those manga is Scum's Wish, and even if the anime looks fairly generic compared to its beautiful art I was interested in watching the adaptation... I guess that's not happening now.

I am not a native speaker. I meant "improved content' as extension of content. You may be right that it's not okay to hold off the great passage (which is 1 anime show) and charge additional cost afterwards. But the general amazon content of all offered videos improves or is extended through offering way more anime, which justifies an increased cost.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
So now instead of cable, which offered expensive packages and then you had to pay even more for the channels you wanted, soon we'll have streaming services which are cheaper but you have to pay more for the channels you want... and then you have to do that for several different streaming services? Ugh, this is getting to be ridiculous. Well played, cable companies... well played.

Reactions: tonyr6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.