Amazon Sending New Round of Credits to E-Book Buyers as Part of Apple Price Fixing Settlement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Customers who purchased a Kindle e-book between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012 may be receiving a credit from Amazon this morning as the retailer continues distributing funds from an antitrust lawsuit levied against Apple back in 2013 by the United States Justice Department.

Emails were sent out to eligible customers in the United States this morning, and Amazon has also set up a website that will list available credits for those who are eligible for a refund.

Apple, along with five other publishers including HarperCollins, Simon and Schuster, Hachette Book Group, Macmillan, and Penguin, was found guilty of conspiring to inflate the prices of e-books to weaken Amazon's dominant position in the market. While the five publishers settled, Apple held out and appealed several times, but was ultimately ordered to pay a total of $450 million.

Apple maintained its innocence throughout the initial trial and appeals, and has argued that its deals with publishers introduced competition to a market that was largely controlled by Amazon. The United States Justice Department did not see it that way, though, as Apple's efforts ultimately raised prices for consumers.

[​IMG]

Several rounds of refunds have already been distributed as a result of the lawsuit. In 2014, customers received refunds funded by publishers, and in 2016, refunds totaling $400 million, or the bulk of the money paid by Apple, were sent out. This new round of refunds has also been funded by Apple's settlement and comes from $20 million that was earmarked to pay states that were involved in the lawsuit.

Credits sent out today will last for six months and will need to be spent by April 20, 2018.

Update: Customers are also receiving notices about available Apple credits that are also being distributed today. Credits are being added to Apple accounts automatically and can be used in iBooks, iTunes, and the App Store.

Article Link: Amazon Sending New Round of Credits to E-Book Buyers as Part of Apple Price Fixing Settlement

2. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I just got my $0.76 ... can't decide how to start spending it!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2017 ---

Looks like I made out way better than you did!

:D

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

5. Moi Ici macrumors regular

Just got $2.86. It’s nice to receive something due without having to enter into a big “send this paperwork in by .....” crap. The amount of those I got through the mail in the 2000’s was annoying as the few I did apply for never got me any $ so I never bothered going forward. So, thanks for that, whoever sorted this!

6. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Now I can afford an iPhone X!!! Just kidding. I will probably just buy a MacMini...

7. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Got the same...

Your Settlement Credit:

Total Credit: $0.38

Unused Credit: $0.38

8. Nabby macrumors regular

Whoo-hoo, I'm part of the $0.76 bunch as well!!!

Nabby

9. camnchar, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

$5.90. I bought the most overpriced e-books so far!

10. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

11. Spankey macrumors 6502a

12. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

$0.76 here. I finally know what it's like to be in the 1%.

13. kingpushup macrumors regular

This was good for Amazon, not for customers or writers or the industry. Apple subsequently said effectively: ‘You want a race to the bottom in literature? We are out of this business.’

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

15. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Jesus. Shove it right in his face why don’t ya that you’re net worth is twice as much now!

16. The Cappy macrumors regular

It's like the DOJ had sued Netscape for trying to disrupt Microsoft's business model. What a world we'd have lived in.

17. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Is that you Bruce? ;)

18. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

I got just under $4. Somebody’s going on a book buying binge this afternoon!

19. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

My wife said she got $3.62, I married into money!!

20. samcraig macrumors P6

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not so fast there! :D

$17.18... I'm rich I tell ya'.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 11.33.36 AM.png

22. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

This whole case still confuses me. What I remember most is Apple wanting to cap electronic educational text book prices at $14.99 through iBooks. Perhaps that can be seen as price fixing. But apparently all they said was that they didn't want to sell text books at a higher price than that, which would have been great for students. Instead, Amazon was handed a near-monopoly on eBooks. How was this whole settlement good for consumers (besides those of you who were sent you $.76)?

23. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Jay... really. Out of everything in that case that is what you remember? That? It's like you didn't remember most of it.:D MR wrote multiple articles that can properly refresh your memory.

24. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Lawyers love clients like you.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2017 ---
    Basically, it’s not up to Apple what price non-Apple companies should sell non-Apple products for.

25. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Nuts. I was going to post the exact same thing and amount. LOL