Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
I'm still wondering the same about the iPad. I know people spent their hard earned cash on it, but what the hell anyone uses it for I have no idea.

It's one of those new fangled computer gizmos all the kids talk about. No seriously, my 75 year old grandma and 82 year old grandpa use one almost daily. They really haven't ever used a computer before now. They get it, so why don't you?:confused:

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Competition

So many "iKillers" have turned into "iFizzles" lately.Time will tell with this one too. Let's wait and see.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Anyone not like shopping on amazon.com?

Best site ever

Started shopping on Amazon after getting burned by paypal. Best move ever. Blu-rays are 10$ cheaper (even after a 2 dollar shipping charge). I like to buy little things every week. I love getting packages!!! :D:D

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Apple already beat Amazon in music.

I bet Apple puts in more R&D (and more quality R&D) than Amazon.

1)Apple started iTunes when?...2001. Amazon really didn't move away from the we-only-sell-books model until after 2001. Not really a comparison.

2)R&D?...this is a joke...Apple CREATES HARDWARE (among other things) and has been doing so since the late 70s. When did Amazon start creating hardware?...very late 2007 and 1 product. Again, not a comparison.

You might want to think things through before hitting the Submit button.

Amazon (and others) is going to force Apple to work relentlessly to convince consumers to buy the Apple tablet as well as sign up for all the Apple my-way-or-the-highway approach to services.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ok, if Apple somehow had insider information on this I could see that it might push them to release a new model with a higher res screen this fall.

I'll just sit back and watch the show. :)

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
What I find most funny about Amazon's tablet is that it's coming to market just a couple weeks after it's raison d'être vanished as Apple relaxed it's AppStore policy (the whole in-app purchases controversy).
Anyway it's a big yawn. Nobody will care outside of the US. It's gonna be a niche product in a niche market.

Isn't that how the Kindle started? ;)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Started shopping on Amazon after getting burned by paypal. Best move ever. Blu-rays are 10$ cheaper (even after a 2 dollar shipping charge). I like to buy little things every week. I love getting packages!!! :D:D

Off topic but my wife and I are Amazon junkies...everything from books to baby stuff to cds to bluray to paper to toys to electronics to food...yes food (granola bars).

The site just bleeping rocks.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
So many "iKillers" have turned into "iFizzles" lately.Time will tell with this one too. Let's wait and see.

I once heard a wise man say, "You don't have to beat Google to be successful." The point he made was just getting 1% of the search market is worth millions.

So having an iPad competitor but not beating the iPad....can still be very profitable.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The same things that 90% of the population use their computers for 90% of the time. Web-surfing and checking e-mail. But with killer battery-life and incredible portability.

You really have to ask this question a year and a half after its release? C'mon.
You web surf on it half horizontally, or you support the thing with one hand? Why would you not buy a laptop? You spend all day in the wilderness you need every second of battery life? You hold it to read? A year and a half and this rational thinker has been given no good answer. And why does it bring out the nastiness in people when I ask (like the sarcasm above)?

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
A company that figured out that what you actually do with a tablet matters more than the hardware specs?

This'll be the first competitor that Apple needs to worry about, I bet.

... This will be Apple's first true tablet competitor. ... They lack the whole ecosystem that Amazon as already built up.
... But I bet will be the best selling Android tablet.

Yay! I agree, the others are just hardware manufacturers. This will be the first tablet offering by a major service provider.

Amazon has
- experience in successfully making/outsourcing tablets (Kindle),
- they are extending their ecosystem (books, software,etc),
- they have their own virtual store front and doesn't need just rely on distributors (best buy) like hardware manufacturers (samsung),
- and most important they have lots of credit cards/established relationship with account holders (they have lots of data - reviews for books, music, IMDB etc that can be used with account holders). They can provide convenient purchasing through one store.
- they aren't as good as apple in some ways, but can be better in other ways. It can be the most popular android tablet (assuming that's its android)

Taank

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
I'm still wondering the same about the iPad. I know people spent their hard earned cash on it, but what the hell anyone uses it for I have no idea.

Same here. From my research, I think most of em just play angry birds on it. That game definitely looks like it's worth $500 to me.

Taank

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
You web surf on it half horizontally, or you support the thing with one hand? Why would you not buy a laptop? You spend all day in the wilderness you need every second of battery life? You hold it to read? A year and a half and this rational thinker has been given no good answer. And why does it bring out the nastiness in people when I ask (like the sarcasm above)?

But if you want to web surf you just buy a stand. And if you don't like the touch screen keyboard you can just buy a separate keyboard.

It's too bad someone doesn't come out with one that has a build in folding stand and integrated physical keyboard. Oh wait.

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Off topic but my wife and I are Amazon junkies...everything from books to baby stuff to cds to bluray to paper to toys to electronics to food...yes food (granola bars).

The site just bleeping rocks.

Love when they offer free prime for buying specific items. Their 2 day shipping usually turns into overnight shipping. Excited to see what they offer in the tablet market

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I own a iPad and my girl owns a Kindle. The kindle is way better for reading books.

Again, for YOU. For me it's the opposite. I haven't touched my Kindle 3 since getting an iPad 2.

Different strokes for different folks. Viva la différence!

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
App store - check
Online Music store - check
Kindle books store - check
Cloud - check

The only thing missing really is the hardware and they are good to go.

They are also missing deals with the record and movie companies for the cloud service, I'm sure the Hollywood lawyers are foaming at the mouth to get a hold of Amazon.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The kindle is a true competitor offering a very different experience from the ipad. I think Amazon will offer the sort of competition people speak of when they throw out that stupid cliche "competition is good".

Amazon should just slowly build on the kindle design. They shouldn't take a little success and try to suddenly redesign the "ipad killer". Add some improvements to the design and get ready for the color E-ink to become available.

Having the iphone already, the Kindle was my logical choice. The ipad duplicates my iphone experience with just a larger screen. Why do I need both? The kindle and iphone compliment one another very well. That is my experience though. The ipad is certainly a great product that fits the needs of many. I expect to to retain a market share greater than 75% for many years to come. The kindle is the only tablet with a chance to lower it more.

Amazon doesn't need to break above 20% to be a success though. Their goal is to sell books. Digital book sales will be dominated by the kindle store. The Kindle App is usable on iOS, desktop OS's and the kindle itself of course. The ibooks App is nice but Apple has implemented book selling very poorly. I bought one ibook and realized this wasn't going to work for me. Selling lots of media and slowly growing the market share in hardware is going to be just fine for Amazon. A success does not imply becoming the #1 tablet seller. Just a successful, profitable tablet seller.

The other tablets are going to have a hard time. Mobile carriers are looking to drop subsidies on tablets because the sales of android tablets are so poor. So that will kill the incentive for many tablet purchasers to opt for Android tablets.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
One of these tablet competitors is going to be successful at some point, and I would love if it ended up being HP or Amazon. Android drives me crazy--I really don't understand the allure to it. In my experiences with it on both phones and tablets, it's a non user friendly buggy mess.

I could live in a world where if I decided to ditch Apple I could go to an HP or Amazon tablet. If my only other option were Android, I would probably just quit using tablets.

tuhoops

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008

I use my iPad (I believe as most do) for email, browsing, reading, etc., and for light production as well. It's more portable than a laptop and is far more enjoyable to use, with no physical keyboard bulky case to mess with. If I need to do more involved work that requires OSX, that's what my iMac is for. As iOS continues to grow and gets more and more capability, it will eventually replace OSX. This is the post pc era Jobs is talking about. No more laptops and desktop (as we know them now). The future is tablets, with the iPad leading the way.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The kindle is a true competitor offering a very different experience from the ipad. I think Amazon will offer the sort of competition people speak of when they throw out that stupid cliche "competition is good".

Amazon should just slowly build on the kindle design. They shouldn't take a little success and try to suddenly redesign the "ipad killer". Add some improvements to the design and get ready for the color E-ink to become available.

Having the iphone already, the Kindle was my logical choice. The ipad duplicates my iphone experience with just a larger screen. Why do I need both? The kindle and iphone compliment one another very well. That is my experience though. The ipad is certainly a great product that fits the needs of many. I expect to to retain a market share greater than 75% for many years to come. The kindle is the only tablet with a chance to lower it more.

Amazon doesn't need to break above 20% to be a success though. Their goal is to sell books. Digital book sales will be dominated by the kindle store. The Kindle App is usable on iOS, desktop OS's and the kindle itself of course. Selling some extra hardware and slowly growing the market share is going to be just fine for Amazon.

The other tablets are going to have a hard time. Mobile carriers are looking to drop subsidies on tablets because the sales of android tablets are so poor. So that will kill the incentive for many tablet purchasers to opt for Android tablets.

The iPhone and iPad compliment each other very well too. You would be surprised.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I think Apple will be in the fight of its life in the Tablet industry. Tablets are going to be the next iPod (not iPad)...everyone will want/have one as the prices drop and the features expand. Major players in the world are not going to let Apple own the Tablet market like they do with iPod.

Lets break it down::rolleyes:

If your only using the iPad as a basic browser then sell it, considering all the things I do with mine you have only touched the surface of what you can do, I even use it like a second computer rather than using a laptop.

Games are a dream I am so hooked on a new one I found called Save Toshi DX, have already put 10 hours on it with it quirky physics and puzzles. Don't get me started on World of Goo and Plants vs Zombies they are a treat to play on the iPad 2 and Angry Bird Rio way to much fun.

Web surfing in Safari on Ipad is not bad just not great; iOS 5 will fix that, as for Flash oh please who even cares any more, but if you must have it you can get as I did for those limited times as well as some cool extra the web browser Skyfire. I has lots of extras that most people will find worth the 5 dollars.

What 64 gig is not enough for most people, i know but 100+ right now is cost prohibited for normal consumers? Still not sure considering the whole iCloud thing which makes some of this mute.

I can understand if you don't really convert your music to ACC but even with ACC VRB 320 I be hard press to see someone filling it up unless they have so many albums your garage is where you store them. I use airplay all the time now and can't go back. Delay is maybe 2 or 3 seconds for first song and after that non. Forget how incredible the Ipad 2 is Airplay is probably the one single thing that sold me when it came out. If nothing else an iPad 2 64 GIG with so many albums going to an Apple TV 2 hooked up thru fiber to an Amplifier and some good polk RTi A7 will not let you down. Perfect no but closer than it has ever been.

THANK YOU STEVE(for been anal retentive) AND APPLE ENGINEERS FOR A GREAT PRODUCT(real consumers can use).

I guess what I am saying is that only people who actually don't use an ipad or think of it as just another iTouch just don't get how much versatility it really has. I for one am totally satisfied with mine because I don't treat it as just another ipod.:D

Jim Boonie

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
I bought an iPad 2 to play with for a couple weeks and returned it after the 14 days. Honestly, I don't miss the iPad that much (OK, maybe a little. But not $500+, "a little"). One thing I do miss terribly is Garage Band. If Android can ever get its hell-hole of an appstore together and get some, "Real" apps, then I would be all over that Samsung 10.1 or maybe even this Amazon tablet. But iPhones will always be, "The" phone for me...for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.