amazon shipping rates

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dekema2, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I'm a college student with no car, and don't feel like getting a ride to Walmart to buy a USB cord for my new laser printer. So, I thought I could just go to Amazon and get a cheap, reliable cord for about 5 bucks.

Well was I wrong. It's 5 bucks, but then STANDARD shipping costs $8!!! What the heck? They say the internet should make buying things online hassle free, but there was no free shipping option and I did a one click order. Fortunately I cancelled it on time.

To avoid something this outrageous when I buy a cheap product online, what would you advise me to do?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Find someone who pays for prime, ask them to be put on their account and get free two day shopping. If you can.

3. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Excellent idea, I know my RA said something about getting people in our suite hooked up with prime but I never knew the benefits until recently. Next time I use Amazon that's what I'll do.

I just ordered a cable off of eBay as well for $3 w/free std. shipping so I'm all set there.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What do you consider inexpensive? What would it cost to buy at a local retailer? With Amazon you have to either have an order worth $35 or be a Amazon Prime member which is something like $75 a year. If you are ordering a lot of stuff on Amazon it's a bargain cause you can order small stuff like a USB chord for free shipping.

5. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

once you go prime, you never go back...or buy anything retail at all.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Shipping costs can be offset, IMO. Eight bucks to ship a 5 dollar item is certainly steep, but for as far away as I live from a store that would sell one, spend a couple of bucks in gas and spend an hour or more of my time to buy a simple cord, when I can just make a couple of mouse clicks and have one delivered? Sometimes it's worth it.

Amazon Prime member, btw.

7. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Actually under $20 is inexpensive IMO with the size of my wallet, which is pretty small at the moment considering I'm a freshman in college.

The same cable would cost about $3 at Walmart, so the only difference between the Walmart cable and the eBay cable is the time it'll arrive to my dorm--Immediately from Walmart if I got a ride there vs. a week from eBay.

If I had bundled the printer and USB cable together, I could've (and would've) ordered it from Amazon.

Makes sense, there are plenty of communities that just don't have big box stores even within an hour of them (I have friends who live in these kinds of communities), so this is logical.

8. mobilehaathi, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

WTH is going on, are you all really linking Amazon and Walmart repeatedly or is MR taking it upon itself to insert that for you?

Edit: well that explains that.

Edit 2: Or perhaps it is Safari.......

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I find that Amazon shipping is outrageous when you're ordering small or low-margin items. It's actually made me start shopping elsewhere for cheaper items - ebay for example.

It's IE, too. So I'm going with MacRumors.

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

If you buy a lot of things online, and if amazon has the best deals for the product you are looking for.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not seeing any links (Chrome on a Mac).

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I have been ordering off amazon with prime on Friday and Saturday and getting it Sunday with free shipping.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I created a thread so that this one isn't hijacked.

14. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

amazon shipping rates

I love buying from Amazon because their customer service is excellent but I only order if I really want the item and I can't find it where I live because Amazon's shipping and handling rates aren't cheap. For example, I recently ordered four items from Amazon and the shipping cost me $80 (£52). Probably because I don't live in the US or the UK and I order stuff from Amazon US and UK. Mostly UK though because I get my packages much faster since it's much closer.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Out of curiosity, was the item you wanted to order fufilled by Amazon or by a third party? Third party shipping can be quite expensive...

16. radioking macrumors regular

17. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

My trial expired and I never even used it (had to cancel for some reason I believe).

If I didn't answer your comments I'll look in the morning but it's 2:30 and I have a 9:30 class...

18. Johnlpi macrumors member

If your printer has AirPrint you won't need a cable at all! :) (Too late now, I know...)

I've used Prime to save on shipping too; was a member last year but this year I cancelled my membership because I have iTunes now, and I'm buying less stuff.

They were gracious enough to prorate the refund; been really happy with the customer service.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had it, and rarely used it, so I let it expire. For my needs, it wasn't worth it, so I guess I'm one of those who have gone back ;)

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Prime won me over. A recent example. I traveled to my local Ace store to get a couple screws in mm to install a TV. They didn't have it. Wasted time and gas. Went online with Amazon and got an entire bag of the screws for less and delivered with Prime 2nd day arrival.

I was introduced to Prime when I snoozed on corporate gifts. I selected a nice design book and bought a load of them. Delivery would gave gone into the hundreds. So I bought Prime for $75.00 and all the books arrived fast and for free shipping.

Since then, I'm streaming included movies and included music.

Bought a large flat screen TV. Didn't like it. Returned it and got another. All of the shipping free and I practically didn't lift a finger.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Prime is awesome. Not only great deals on shipping but you get free books and the movies on demand.

When I was in college (and still) I bought everything on Amazon. From school books to Electronics to Cereal and Pens and Paper.

Prime pays for itself very quickly.

AS A STUDENT YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR A 6 MONTH FREE TRIAL

22. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

I've had prime now for about six months, and it really comes in handy with the two day shipping. I can surely see myself using the amazon instant video more and more as times goes on, and I use the music pretty regularly. I would say that Prime is most definitely worth it. I'm moving soon to a new house, and I think that the two day shipping is going to be quite a nice thing while I get situated.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

In the UK you get free next day delivery with prime which is one advantage over the US (there are some advantages to living in the UK :)).

We've had it for years. I dread to think the value of the stuff I have ordered over the last 13 - 14 years of using them but I bet it is a lot.

24. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

Wow, that certainly is an advantage. I guess UK is a little smaller, so that's probably a reason. We have too much space over here in the "new world".