Amazon [to sell] Kenmore [appliances]

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jeyf, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jeyf macrumors 6502

well not exactly fake news... Kenmore appliances will be sold on Amazon.

1st online experience (large Frigidaire kitchen slide in stove)
    i bought my first major appliance from the online vendor ABT.COM and it was a good experience. No sales tax, free delivery and they matched the price of another on-line dealer. The sticker price alone was 10% below what was available locally and again no tax & no delivery charge.

the delivery was handled by a local 3rd party shipper. This shipper called the day before to setup instructions. They were on time, dropping off the huge box at the job site. It was ready to go.

Very nice experience compared to buying form Home Depot who messed up orders 3 times.
    1) wrong damaged item delivered
    2) missing parts
    3) wrong cut out template (really messed up things)

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Very interesting. I've always purchased my fridges, cooktops, and ovens in person. Refurbished our kitchen 3 years ago and purchased all Kenmore. Yes I can look at a picture, but where in-person sometimes makes a difference is looking at the quality of knobs and such. I assume it will continue to thrive as a brand, but I am speaking as someone who grew up with the brand. It may be a different reaction from Millenials.

Regarding the OP, some States like Texas now charge State sales tax for Amazon purchases.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The Sears up the street where I live and I grew up with is closing... :(

The one in a major area mall is "closing for remodeling - to re-open Spring 2018" - yeah, right... :rolleyes:

5. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

As long as you know the brand, shouldn't you have a good idea of quality of the knobs and other things?

I'm not really sure it has anything to do with millennials.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

One has already closed in my area, we now only have two left and the service in one of them was absolutely horrendous!

--- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2017 ---
    Agreed. I purchased our Washer and Dryer online and no issues with it and I am far from a millennial.

With Amazon.com purchasing and selling just about everything under the sun, seems like they maybe the new "BnL" from the movie "Wall-e".

Going to be scary once they are that big and they can set the prices.... :eek:

7. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

We have a small independently owned store (Home Store) in my area, but the nearest Sears is 75 miles away.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The only really "independently owned" stores in my area would be the "Ace Hardware" stores. I know they are franchised, but even they are having a tough time. One went out of business a few years ago near me and well there has been nothing to take it's place.

Edit: I take that back, we have a few other mom and pop stores in the surrounding areas. Should check them out to see what type of pricing they have.

9. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Nothing against huntn, saving money is a smart responsible thing to do. If buying online gets you the same product for less, how in the world can someone try to spin that into a derogatory thing?

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Agreed, I see nothing wrong with it. I am buying more and more of my stuff online. Unless I need it "now" then I run to the store. But for the most part, I can usually wait for the product to come to me.

11. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Especially with Prime, you essentially get it now. There are very few things in this world that I can't wait a day or two for, especially if you plan accordingly.

12. Huntn, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The thing is the Craftsman brand is definitely going through changes. The same can happen with Kenmore so how well do we know the brand? I'm hopeful Amazon will hold up standards.

Edited typos.

13. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

You and me both, I really like Craftsman.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I really like them too. I have not had an issue with any of their products. Here is hoping they stay the same or do I dare say, improve on their products to make them that much better!

15. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Kenmore mostly rebranded products from other companies and sold them. The fascias and logic board may be different, but that's it.

16. jeyf thread starter macrumors 6502

Craftsman are just ok tools nothing to write home about.

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Kenmore is just a label. They don't design or make anything. All of their appliances are stock models from Frigidaire, Maybe, Whirlpool, LG, GE, Sanyo, etc.

My Kenmore fridge is just an LG fridge with a Kenmore badge slapped on it. It was designed and manufactured in Korea.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

For cheap tools you might as well just go with Husky, Lowes isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Agreed, what made them good, I don't know if they still do this, but in the past, if you broke a tool, they would fix it and or replace it. I had a socket that cracked, took it in and they pulled a new one for me. I don't know if this is the case anymore. This was quite some time ago.

Now my tools are all over the place in terms of companies and manufactures.