Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Amazon Unveils 'Halo' Health and Fitness Wristband for $99.99 to Compete with Apple Watch

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
Honestly, for $100 it’s worth a shot. I know the Apple Watch is a superior product to most on the market, but not everyone is willing to (and shouldn’t feel they have to) spend those sorts of money on their models.
The series 3 is pretty affordable and is still a good device especially next to competition. The subscription costs associated with this device can outpace the cost of an Apple Watch eventually

Comment

JM

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2014

This looks like somebody sent a Nike Apple Watch through one of the pods in The Fly.
I miss your photoshops 😂

• Love
Reactions: AngerDanger
Comment

Okasian

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Lost me at no integration with Apple Health, or other health apps for that matter. Want a fitness which doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, and not from China. I might as well dip my fingers in the Chinese cookie jar and Mi Band 5.

Or maybe this? It's $80, not $40 though.

• Minimal, design that gets out of the way, smaller surface area than AW
  • Integrates with Apple Health without having to manually re-sync.
  • Has a better looking first party app, “Health Mate” with the recent update
  • Not a Chinese company. Withings and Nokia are both Finnish.
  • $80
They have a business model akin to pre-services Apple where you just buy their devices, and they all work together.

Anyway, food for thought.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The top phone is obviously not an iPhone and the phone lower in the article just has a white case on it. If you have a white iPhone, can you can't see any white from the front or sides, just looking at the back. Sorry to burst the bubble :)

Lmao uhh I know all of that, but thank you!

Comment

Jason111001

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Denver, CO
Oh hell no. I get that me not wanting Alexa in my bedroom is probably quirky paranoia - but images for the calculation of body fat? Not going in the cloud. No sir.
I have ZERO confidence in what Amazon does with my data... however, if they can use this tech to sell me a pair of pants that make me look like I have an a$$.. SOLD!

Comment

mungo2k

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
$99 seems very expensive for a non-GPS, no-screen fitness tracker. I had a Xiaomi Mi-Band years ago that did as much as this thing for around $25.

The body fat scanner has nothing to do with the band, that’s just an app feature. Same with the mood checking feature which could use the phone’s microphone.

And to charge you $99 and then make you pay $48 extra a year to unlock features??? Seriously?

Comment

RickDEGH

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Germany
Or maybe this? It's $80, not $40 though.

• Minimal, design that gets out of the way, smaller surface area than AW
  • Integrates with Apple Health without having to manually re-sync.
  • Has a better looking first party app, “Health Mate” with the recent update
  • Not a Chinese company. Withings and Nokia are both Finnish.
  • $80
They have a business model akin to pre-services Apple where you just buy their devices, and they all work together.

Anyway, food for thought.
Oh yeah, I use Health Mate app even without any of their devices. I keep telling myself the points you’ve made above and that is the reason why I remain with their app. Just last week I thought of buying the Pulse HR. My problem is I don’t want to not wear my real watches. I got the Move Chic and was disappointed at how tiny it looked on my wrist. If looks like a real watch then it must be masculine enough, for me. About the app, I hate the new update with that silly green AI thing which can’t be swiped away. Otherwise, Health Mate is my top and most simple health app besides Apple Health.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Always on mic, 3D body reconstructions, detection and playback of emotional states?

Why would anyone trust any of this to go off-device, let alone to Amazon?!?

Comment

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Tomorrow’s headline: Epic Games sues Apple for Amazon infringing on XBox Games’ franchise name.

Comment

Okasian

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I use Health Mate app even without any of their devices. I keep telling myself the points you’ve made above and that is the reason why I remain with their app. Just last week I thought of buying the Pulse HR. My problem is I don’t want to not wear my real watches. I got the Move Chic and was disappointed at how tiny it looked on my wrist. If looks like a real watch then it must be masculine enough, for me.

Ah, fair enough. I did see the Move Chic (or something similar) when I got my Pulse HR at the time but I essentially just wanted the most discrete device possible, so went with the Pulse.

The Move Chic does have a nice aesthetic though. It blends more like a traditional watch, not a tiny wrist computer.

About the app, I hate the new update with that silly green AI thing which can’t be swiped away. Otherwise, Health Mate is my top and most simple health app besides Apple Health.

Yeah I saw that. I think you can tell it to disappear (and not enable it) by tapping through the AI onboarding pages, but I honestly cant remember. Not ideal UX though I agree.

Edit: Just double-checked the AI thing, not there, which is good.

Last edited:
Comment

dzankizakon

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
This will fail and will not be sold within six months. Emotional state? Stupid, useless. Who in their right mind will allow Amazon to have access to their semi-naked body? $99 is way too much for this silly toy.

Reactions: The Barron
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.