Amazon Working on Free Ad-Supported Version of Prime Video as Content War With Apple Intensifies

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon is developing a free, ad-supported version of its Prime Video streaming video service, according to Ad Age.

[​IMG]

The free tier will complement Amazon's ad-free, on-demand Prime Video service that is included with an annual $99 subscription to Amazon Prime, which provides free shipping, deals, and other perks to its online shoppers.

Amazon is reportedly in talks with TV networks, movie studios, and other media companies about programming for the service.
    Amazon, which is reportedly already estimated to have spent almost $5 billion on content by the end of the year, is said to be doubling down on its content efforts as Apple and several other tech companies push into original programming.

Last week, for example, Apple reportedly outbid Netflix for a new TV show that will star Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston. The series is said to revolve around the lives of morning talk show hosts, based on journalist Brian Stelter's book Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV.

Apple's push into original content is being led in part by former Sony executives Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, who joined the iPhone maker back in June. Van Amburg and Erlicht are known for their work on many popular TV shows, including Breaking Bad, The Crown, and Better Call Saul.

Of note, Amazon Prime Video is still not available for the Apple TV. Apple said the app will be released by the end of 2017.

Article Link: Amazon Working on Free Ad-Supported Version of Prime Video as Content War With Apple Intensifies

2. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Hey you Amazon. Where the hell is your Apple TV app that was promised months and months ago???

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This promise? Looks like they gave about six weeks.

Apple said "later this year."

Amazon said "this year."

[​IMG]

4. gnipgnop macrumors 6502a

You have to wonder how effective the billions spent on original content has actually been. This could all turn out to be a race to nowhere for some of these companies.

5. mwd25 macrumors regular

mwd25

I cant complain about the job Amazon has been doing. Love The Man in the High Castle, Bosch is a good show, Comrade Detective was good, and I just discovered a classic game show section, and Im getting into that. I have "The Big Three" subscription channels, Amazon Netflix and Hulu and while Amazon used to be a distant third in that lineup that have absolutely passed Hulu in content and quality.

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

So THAAATS WHHY THE APP IS DELAYED ON THE TV!!!! Thank god for macrumors.... now we know, what the hell amazon is doing... it's trying to get ads!!!

7. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

I know well services are the future. But some budget still should be around for more frequent Mac updates.

8. macTW Suspended

Pay for prime. Gets “original content” nobody cares about. Now has to have ads cuz amazon needs more money.

9. NexusUser macrumors member

NexusUser

Amazon doesn't want to give Apple a 30% cut, that's why your Amazon Prime App is missing

10. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

There isn't a 30% cut because you can't sign up for prime through the app.

Edit: Also, there is an iOS app...

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I've already given up on the Amazon app on Apple TV. I only have one TV left that isn't smart. The other TV's in my house are smart and have the Amazon App already built in and what's even better is that there is a dedicated Amazon button on the remote. So go fly a kite Apple/Amazon fight!

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I love Bosch, Man in the High Castle. Z and Last Tycoon were interesting. I wish Amazon gave them both more time. Looking forward to Jack Ryan and a few other new 2018 shows. IMHO almost all of Amazon's original shows are 1000x more interesting than anything on the networks. Network shows these days seem to be written to the lowest common denominator.

Amazon doesn't "need" more money -- it's wants more eyeballs because eyeballs = clout and influence. Offering a free service is great as long as it doesn't eventually morph into the Prime no ad service. But I can see Amazon eventually offer Prime in tiers.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Yeah, it's funny. I originally bought the ATV so I could stream content onto my TV. But with all the streaming "networks" now having built-in apps in TVs my ATV's have less relevance to me. Whenever Amazon comes to ATV it really won't matter to me since my main TV already has it and I wouldn't watch movies on any other.

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

If you don't want to watch Prime Video, you don't have to. Just enjoy the Prime shipping benefits and call it a day.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Nope. 1) Both Amazon and Apple already announced the app is coming. 2) Devs don't have to build in subscription availability in their apps. Apps can be simply view-only. For example both DirecTV and DirecTV Now require subscribing outside of the app.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Frequency isn't the problem -- except the mini. The problem is the components used for the price offered.

15. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Sorry. But it was originally promised well over a year ago... Tim Cook simply provided the most recent update.

16. Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

YouTube needs some competition, bring this sheet!

17. redgreenski macrumors member

Only Amazon and Apple can take on Verizon/ATT monopoly so I’m glad they are digging their feet in. Internet providers will think twice before throttling their services. I can see a bug win for us consumers.

18. cardfan macrumors 65816

Content war with Apple? lol It's hard to know what Apple is even doing. Those are savvy generals Apple has on the front. Video content isn't going to make apple music any more appealing to me.

19. man3ster macrumors member

beat me to it. come on amazon, how difficult can it really be if you already have an iOS application out?

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

When did Tim Cook promise it before the WWDC last June?

21. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

Good for consumers to have all these tech companies competing with each other.

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I'd rather go the other way. I'd rather all the ad supported content offer higher priced paid tiers without ANY ads. My time is worth more than a cheap subscription.

23. Remy149 macrumors member

This idea works until you realize the prime app built into most 4K TV sets can’t play the 4K content

24. NtDs90 macrumors member

Don’t know why I even bother paying for Amazon Prime. Don’t watch anything on the video side and don’t buy enough stuff on their app/website to make it worth it. Amazon better get the prime app on the ATV before the end month or I’m done with them.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well then my eyes and TV are lying to me because every time I select a 4K Prime show the TV pops up that 4K HDR has been activated. OTOH, if I choose the same show in 1080p I'm told HD is active.