Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today launched the Amazon One app, which is designed to allow customers to scan their palms to make device-free purchases at Whole Foods, Panera Bread, and 150 third-party locations in stadiums, airports, fitness centers, and convenience stores.

Prior to the launch of the app, signing up for Amazon One had to be done in a physical location with an Amazon One device. The app lets customers create a profile, take a photo of their palm, and add a payment method. Finishing sign-up will still require an initial interaction with an Amazon One machine.

Amazon One can be used for payment, entry to venues, age verification, and loyalty rewards. The service uses generative AI to match a camera phone photo of a person's palm to near-infrared imagery from an Amazon One scanner.

The AI system is able to pair palm and vein imagery to create a unique, numerical vector representation that is used for identity matching. Amazon says that it is 99.99 percent accurate.

Palm images taken with the app are encrypted and sent to a secure Amazon One domain in the AWS cloud. Amazon says the service is convenient for consumers and businesses, and that it sees many repeat users at Whole Foods. Amazon One can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon's New App Lets You Scan Your Palm to Pay at Whole Foods, Panera Bread and More

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: gusmula and madmin

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Um, 99.99% accurate means a on in 10,000 chance it will confuse your palm with someone else. If there are a million users, then 100 other people could use your account. And, what does it do with dirty hands, or a ring you happen to wear that day, or if you have a paper cut? How about a picture of your hand used by someone else? It sure isn't as secure as Apple's face recognition software, and that's even without considering how this ends up in the cloud somewhere instead of being kept on device...you can't use it if the internet is down of there's a connection issue.

Seems pretty half baked, with Amazon trying to use "AI" to make it sound a lot smarter than it apparently is.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Oh hell no. Why Amazon wants my palm data of all things? What’s next? Body scan? Iris scan? The only place I have visited that needs palm scans is English test site like IELTS and PTE, where higher level security is required. Why a fingerprint is not enough now?

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Um, 99.99% accurate means a on in 10,000 chance it will confuse your palm with someone else. If there are a million users, then 100 other people could use your account. And, what does it do with dirty hands, or a ring you happen to wear that day, or if you have a paper cut? How about a picture of your hand used by someone else? It sure isn't as secure as Apple's face recognition software, and that's even without considering how this ends up in the cloud somewhere instead of being kept on device...you can't use it if the internet is down of there's a connection issue.

Seems pretty half baked, with Amazon trying to use "AI" to make it sound a lot smarter than it apparently is.
"No. It's fully baked!" 😜

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Weird. This seems to be a solution for the problem of: "I want to go shopping at a grocery store and I don't have a credit card with me." I don't think I've had that problem for any shopping situation since I was a teenager. And I'm certain I've never gone shopping at a grocery store without my credit card on me.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I've used this for months at Whole Foods. It's actually very impressive and super convenient. The main benefits are that 1) you don't have to select 'Pay with Card' on the screen (it chooses whichever default card you have saved), or 2) scan your Amazon QR code to link the purchase to your Prime account. So it saves a few steps. And it's super quick and reliable; I've never had it fail.

Setting it up was a pain since I had to do it in person (and in line...) - so this is a much better option for people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.