Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
I'm extremely disappointed Apple is going down this encryption road.

HUGE thumbs down to you, Cupertino.

I want to be clear that we're still in the beginning stages of our investigation. Some of what I've mentioned may end up being wrong; as soon as we know more, I will inform you.

It is going to be a long night.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
You have no idea how much we want to get this fixed. We are going to be burning the midnight oil trying to figure it out.

Andrew, absolutely the best luck to you. I will definitely be buying iToner if you guys get around this! I've got my fingers crossed that the iPhone dev team comes up with a way to do the same kind of thing.

And I agree about thumbs down to Apple for this. Phil Schiller can stick his silly old mullet up his rear! "Not going to try to stop 3rd party hackers," my foot! What a jackass.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If Apple really did head down the ugly road of only running signed apps ... then I will be rather pissed. Of course, there are really no 3rd party apps that I _need_. However, I don't enjoy being forced to use the default version of things. Apple, if you are reading this ... wake up, it will only force customers away.

Sad day, very sad day. I was really looking forward to this update. I am in a holding pattern for now until more info is available on this all.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I have updated, and my tones are still there, but I dare not try to change them as I have heard that this will make them disappear. Hopefully ambrosia can fix this before they disappear on me as the probably will do in a couple days. :(

Already a paid member so definitely hope its fixed soon, for that and I hate the sound level of the built in ringtones. They need to be lauder.

:rolleyes:

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
iToner is the best app for the iPhone hands down. I used to think of Apple as the "good guys". Unfortunately it seems that Steve Jobs is trying to get ahead of Bill Gates as the computer world's biggest dick.

Much thanks to Ambrosia Software for their efforts. I am proud to have supported them by purchasing their products.

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
I dont know if this is the right place to post this, or if this is constructive to whats going on. I am still using iTunes 7.4.0 and I can still use the original hacking method of just changing the extension to .m4r to put ringtones on the phone. Or maybe I'm not, I cant tell. iTunes says its copying them, they show up in the list, but they dont play. The free space changes so it appears that they are being moved to the phone.

So what is the difference between a purchased ringtone and one you make yourself?

iDriveX

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Ventura, CA
So what is the difference between a purchased ringtone and one you make yourself?

That's the million dollar question :)

Because the second you can figure that one out, is the second you can make all of your ringtones look like purchased ringtones and then the iPhone will never know the difference.

I have a gut feeling that since all Ringtones come from DRM'd iTunes Music, that there's DRM in the ringtone and that the iPhone will only play DRM'd ringtones. And until someone can come up with a way of reverse engineering and applying Apple's DRM at will....it's going to be a long time before we see custom ringtones.

BUT as soon as we hack this ringtone issue, Apple will be forced to respond by issuing yet another iTunes and Firmware update. And the only way they can get people to upgrade is if they add amazing features that people want. So as soon as Ambrosia is done upgrading iToner to 1.0.3 maybe we'll get right click support :-D

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
another paying itoner customer here. Hoping ambrosia and team can figure out once again how to get things working.

We'll eagerly be waiting... Best of luck.

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
That's the million dollar question :)

Because the second you can figure that one out, is the second you can make all of your ringtones look like purchased ringtones and then the iPhone will never know the difference.

I have a gut feeling that since all Ringtones come from DRM'd iTunes Music, that there's DRM in the ringtone and that the iPhone will only play DRM'd ringtones. And until someone can come up with a way of reverse engineering and applying Apple's DRM at will....it's going to be a long time before we see custom ringtones.

BUT as soon as we hack this ringtone issue, Apple will be forced to respond by issuing yet another iTunes and Firmware update. And the only way they can get people to upgrade is if they add amazing features that people want. So as soon as Ambrosia is done upgrading iToner to 1.0.3 maybe we'll get right click support :-D

Well I'm kinda stuck because I cant buy a ringtone with 7.4.0 to see what the difference might be.
What I do know is that I CAN move ringtones to the phone with iTunes 7.4.0 and the original hack, they just dont play.
I can NOT even put ringtones on with iToner right now.

iDriveX

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Ventura, CA
Well I'm kinda stuck because I cant buy a ringtone with 7.4.0 to see what the difference might be.
What I do know is that I CAN move ringtones to the phone with iTunes 7.4.0 and the original hack, they just dont play.
I can NOT even put ringtones on with iToner right now.

Find a copy of 7.4.1 and you'll have the best of both worlds. The ability to create custom ringtones, the ability to buy ringtones, the ability to ignore the 7.4.2 update and ignore the 1.1.1 firmware, until Ambrosia pulls through for us!

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Find a copy of 7.4.1 and you'll have the best of both worlds. The ability to create custom ringtones, the ability to buy ringtones, the ability to ignore the 7.4.2 update and ignore the 1.1.1 firmware, until Ambrosia pulls through for us!

Im looking for 7.4.1 but I already have 1.1.1

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
Any updates, Andrew?

I'm most interested in whether the encryption stuff turns out to be true, or perhaps not.. which would give many much more hope regarding 3rd party apps.

stonedgrace

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Andrew- I dont know if this helps you at all, but I have ringtones working with 7.4.0 and 1.1.1

I used MakeiPhoneRingtone to put custom ringtones on with 7.4.0

good luck.....

UPDATE-
Ok the only way this works is to do this. First with 7.4.0 use the original method of renaming the ringtone and adding it to itunes.
It will show up under ringtones you can sync it to your phone. It will not play.
Now rename the original file back to .m4a and use MakeiPhoneRingTone. It will add it to iTunes again (there will be 2 in the list)
When you sync your phone again, you will only see the ringtone on your phone once but it will now play.

theskunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Any news from last nights pogress?

Also, is there anything that some of the rest of us who are technically inclined can do to help?

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I hope they find a way to get this working again.

Custom ringtones really make this phone a lot more fun...

Holyghost

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Madison, WI
Ringtone that work vs those that do not

For what its worth, I have two custom ringtones that survived the firmware update, have not vanished from my ringtone menu on the iPhone and are selectable. I can send a copy of one that survived, one that died for someone to look at?

*shrug*

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Wonder what's up with Andrew? He usually pops in and gives his input on the state of all things ringtones.

Mums the word which is obviously in this situation not an indicator of good things to come.:(

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Wonder what's up with Andrew? He usually pops in and gives his input on the state of all things ringtones.

Mums the word which is obviously in this situation not an indicator of good things to come.:(

+1

Outlook not so good...

lawcomic

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Give 'em a few days. They're trying.

In about a week, though, we should be asking about refund policies.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
why a refund policy? We assumed a certain risk when we purchased this software. Why put it on andrew that it is his fault apple is making updates to thwart companies like his? I applaud his dedication and efforts to fix it, but if he cannot it should not rest on him to give a refund. Just my opinion though.
Give 'em a few days. They're trying.

In about a week, though, we should be asking about refund policies.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
why a refund policy? We assumed a certain risk when we purchased this software. Why put it on andrew that it is his fault apple is making updates to thwart companies like his? I applaud his dedication and efforts to fix it, but if he cannot it should not rest on him to give a refund. Just my opinion though.

I agree. We want to encourage his/Ambrosia's innovation. It's hard to believe those who purchased iToner didn't get $15 worth of utility and enjoyment out of it. Considering the amount of research he [and company] went through on our behalf, without documentation or SDK, it would be in poor taste to request any refund. Just another 2 cents worth...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.