AMC Demands Pay Raise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

American Movie Channel is demanding close to a 50% rise in fees to cable provider Suddenlink in the Southern U.S. I don't know if other Cable providers are effected. The email I got from Suddenlink, asked me to contact AMC and ask them to be reasonable...

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is a rather insane raise in payments. They are going after one and hope to make the others follow suit. Question is who will win.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder how much money is Suddenlink is currently paying? Hmm. There are so many channels I don't watch, I've often wondered if an ala-cart would be a better way for cable companies to go?

4. 184550 Guest

After an extremely long dry spell on AMC, they've built and are building a formidable index of television programming. Namely, 'Mad Men' and 'The Walking Dead'. I don't blame AMC for asking for a 'pay raise'.

I'm on TWC and thus far I haven't heard anything about AMC asking TWC for a raise. If they do, I hope TWC coughs up the money as I'm eagerly waiting for the return of 'Mad Men'.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

And you (your avatar) looks kinda like a Mad Man. ;)

6. 184550 Guest

That's right; Roger Sterling. :p

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I really like AMC. I'm on Shaw Cable in Canada and have not heard anything either.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ala-cart will never happen, the cable networks don't want to loose a large chunk of money that they can charge in a blanket agreement. The other argument is that the small channels would not survive. I would love to see it happen but I don't think the FCC has enough teeth to pass it.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Love both shows, Mad Men and The Walking Dead. Not to mention Hell on Wheels. That show seriously rocks IMHO. Hope I still get em on my provider! Verizon Fios.

10. 184550 Guest

Ah! How could I forget 'Hell on Wheels'!? I promised myself I would watch the first season if/when they renewed it for another season.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

To try and put the numbers into perspective, ESPN adds $4.69 a month to every cable bill. The next highest amount is $1.16 for TNT.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

That's fascinating. I didn't know how that worked. I just looked up the list of fees per channel, and found out that I almost never watch any of the top ten most expensive channels. ESPN maybe twice a year, TNT pretty much never, Fox News only when I want to laugh...wow.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The sports networks are the one that really drive up the cable bill. Just look at the YES network that is owned by the Yankees. I think they charge like $2.50 per subscriber.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah, too bad. There is a lot I am forced to have, but never watch. :(

So where is AMC I wonder? :)

15. monkeylui macrumors 6502

16. 184550 Guest

Exactly, so why should anyone pitch a fit about it?

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Give this a read. Had some interesting figures.

Why Aren’t More People Cutting The Cord? Regional Sports Networks

It also suggested the road these companies are headed down are unsustainable. The price for these channels are skyrocketing but consumers are less and less willing to pay, which could lead to some sort of a la carte model down the road. I'm hopeful, but skeptical.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Regional cable networks are the reason people don't cut the cord, sports networks know they have the cable ops by the nuts. People love sports and will go anywhere to get it no matter the price.

I am a Yankees fan and I want to see the games, this is where the teams have the advantage in owning their networks. They know the fans will go where the games are and they can force the cable providers hand. Now if we ever get to the point where sports networks will go internet I will cut the cord.

This is why the NFL is so powerful, they make a fortune off of broadcasters because they have a product everyone wants, so they set the market price.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

All the Major Sports except the NFL are available online now. The biggest problem is local blackouts. I've found one group opposing the rules called Sports Fans. They're small but at least they're trying to make some noise.

What really pisses me off is that somebody in the UK can pay to watch any NFL game online they wish, while I can only watch what I'm shown. The relationship between the franchises and the cable providers and the regional networks are so lucrative it's gonna be near an impossible clique to break without federal intervention. The fans build the stadiums with tax dollars in a majority of cities but can't watch the game because it isn't sold out or it they're mobile and need to watch it online? BS.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The local blackout issue is a problem, it really is a monopoly the teams have. This is what forces people to stay with cable. And the providers don't want you watching that over the internet as they don't want to loose the eyeballs on TV.

Cable companies cry foul when networks up their prices when it benefits them to appease to the subscribers but when I want to watch everything online they scream bloddy murder.

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

True a la carte cable would be fantastic, and likely the only way to get me to go back. With everything digital these days it's technically possible, limited only by the cable companies greed and contracts.

I no longer have cable, but when I had comcast, I generally only ever watched AMC, Food Network and MSNBC, yet it cost $80/month for the privilege of having nearly 100 other channels I had to skip over to get to what I wanted. 3 home shopping channels, 4 spanish channels, 2 religion channels, 2 or 3 versions of Lifetime, 2 golf channels and so forth. If I could have saved money on my bill by not receiving those channels, I would have been more than happy to pay a premium for AMC...it is one of the few channels producing great new non-reality content these days. Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Mad Men...some of my favorites right there, and so well made.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It is good..... and they have been renewed for a second season!!!

23. 184550 Guest

Yeah, I saw that on Deadline in December. I suppose I ought to go download it now before I forget again. :p

24. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

It is very good. I don't know how you guys forgot about Breaking Bad! Hands down the best show on tv :D

25. 184550 Guest

It's been hard for me to get into 'Breaking Bad', I've been watching it very slowly on Netflix.