Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AMD Based Apple Laptop?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
DigiTimes' track record is amazingly bad. You'd think they'd be right more often just by guessing.

Comment

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Apple + AMD?

The Register reports that Apple may be developing an AMD based solution, although details are very sketchy at this moment in time.

As they say, Core 2 Duo still has the lead, but there is the fact that AMD just bought ATI... Apple may prefer to get more bits from one supplier...

Hob

Comment

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
If Taiwan's high-capacitance multi-layer ceramic capacitor (MLCC) manufacturing community says so, it must be true. What's stopping Apple from using AMD processors? (apart from preferential pricing from Intel)

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Here we go folks.

The Register Article said:
...The claim - cited by DigiTimes...

Just to put everybody's mind at ease. These are the guys who predicted the arrival of a G5 iBook in early 2005.

They have never, ever been right.

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
I go on how good their logo is...

...they must be way off.

Yeah, it looks like the logo of one of those local computer stores that are packed to rafters with boxes in a tiny shop with opaque-coated windows and put out pricing brochures on coloured paper folded neatly in half down the centre.

You know the ones of which I speak.

Comment

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I threw up in my mouth a little bit™ for a month with the Intel switch.

I may have to hospitalized if this actually happens.

Comment

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
It might happen the day AMD can come up with a better product and roadmap compared to Intel, which in the coming three years seems highly unlikely.

AMD does not have a large enough R&D center to actively help Apple develop their products, not to mention capacity issues.

Comment

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
I will never buy an AMD computer again, especially in a laptop. AMDs are very hot processors and they require big fans(I learn that from my bro's Compaq), which make them thick and heavy.

It would be best for me if we could of kept PowerPC, developed a lower powerconsuming but stil powerful G5, or Xenon(chip in XBOX 360). But intel is still got...PPC for LIFE

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
And people thought Apple could never ever go Intel, so why not? Athlon 64 x2 cores have dropped in price,ati has a bunch of video chips it could mate and this machine would kill any integrated graphic solution if both Apple & Ati were wanting to do this. It would make sense. Rumors:)

Comment

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
And people thought Apple could never ever go Intel, so why not? Athlon 64 x2 cores have dropped in price,ati has a bunch of video chips it could mate and this machine would kill any integrated graphic solution if both Apple & Ati were wanting to do this. It would make sense. Rumors:)

Perhaps but they are not competing right now on either products or road maps.

You don't change vendor like the wind blows.

Comment

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm sure that somewhere in their headquarters Apple keeps a build of OS X on AMD like they did with Intel. But Idon't think that anyone outside of Apple will see it at least for several years.

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.

Apple has a history of using many makers of parts. Face it dual core athlons are more chip then most folks need. Ati would only have to say hey look at this combo for X dollars. Ati & Apple go way back.

Comment

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I doubt Apple will go with AMD in the near future - at the moment Intel has the performance lead and the AMD/Intel war is so hot Intel would no doubt punish Apple for adding AMD CPUs to their product line.

I'm not holding my breath...but I am interested to see what AMD comes out with in answer to the Core 2 Duo. Maybe if AMD regains its competitiveness there will be pressure for Apple to branch out a little.

Comment

emotion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK

IBM and Motorola? :)

It's nice for Apple to have the bargaining chip when dealing with Intel. I agree they're unlikely to follow up on it (if there's any substance at all....which is seriously doubt).

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
AMD Based Apple Laptop?

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Digitimes claims that according to Taiwan component makers, there is an increase in orders for certain capacitators that are intended for use in an AMD-based Apple notebook. Few other details are provided.

The rest of the article remains speculative, pointing to comments by AMD CEO that he felt that Apple would eventually come around to working with AMD.

Readers should note that Digitimes remains notoriously inaccurate with their rumors.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
please no page 1 vs page 2 comments... :)

arn

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
please no page 1 vs page 2 comments... :)

arn

Yes Dad. :D

Ladies and Gentlemen of Macrumours, this is from Digitimes, they still owe me a G5 iBook from 2005.

Digitimes = wrong, always wrong.

Comment

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Here we go folks.

Just to put everybody's mind at ease. These are the guys who predicted the arrival of a G5 iBook in early 2005.

They have never, ever been right.

Not only are they always wrong, their rumors don't even make sense. AMD doesn't have a competitive notebook CPU and can't deliver in the scale Apple needs. These guys can't even fabricate a decent lie.

Comment

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
As I said in another thread, it's very possible Apple has built an AMD machine sometime in the past, but it will never reach production unless Intel ****s up...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.