AMD Battles Megahertz Myth

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
so true

but the way i jump from machine to machine, i never have it fail before i outgrow the sucker

i am still happy with my sub-400 mhz pc towers and pc and apple laptops and some people think these are museum pieces but they are only 2 1/2 years old or more

by the time heat catches up to most machines i repair, they are four generations old ala windows 95/3.1 with 20 MB of RAM (SIMMS) total max and equipped with a 1 MB video card

gamers, i think, can probably really stress a machine and kill it before its time but some gamers i know get a machine more often than every year (or more likely build a gaming machine)

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Gnat Farts

Just try it outside a lab. One good Gnat fart and it's all over. Let's not even think about what a little Static could do.......

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
building a pc isnt nearly as risky as that.
Infact if you are careful, and ground yourself properly , you will not damage any of the components.
I have built and opened up loads of PCs and i have never caused harm to a component.

Im not sure if that was what the gnat fart was aiming at?
Is bulding a pc what you were talking about?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
shielding

The PC isn't the issue, shielding the quantum-level components from EM noise is the issue. When the parts get that small, the noise of a HD head would be like a Lolapolooza concert next to a library. let alone basic environmental noise. Hell, just quantum mechanics by itself (hysenberg and such) is enough to make it a fragile consumer product at best.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
have to buy new pc for work

i have to learn the quirks of every new pc os for my line of work and i thought of getting an amd-1600 system and i know that it is somewhere between 1.4 to 1.6 ghz, but less than 1.6 ghz for sure

the naming convention does not bug me and having a machine that has the equivalent of 1600 mhz but really a little slower is no big deal for what i need to do

as long as i can comfortably get my work done is the main thing and within six to ten months, every computer in the world on the store shelves will be faster than 1 ghz

intel listing actual speeds beyond 2 ghz will start to lose its speed appeal because sooner or later, even pc consumers and newbies will not care

just months ago i cared a lot more than now

gamers have not come up to me and mentioned anything about processor speed in the new x-box, they just like it and i don't hear about this chip or that chip from them

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I agree.
Although the xbox thing might be because the gpu detracts from its cpu. everyone says nvidia blah blah blah..... which makes them forget that the cpu isnt all that good, considering what cpu could have been put in it.