Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
From what I see, 7 nm will be pretty huge step up in clock frequency.

From what AMD has announced, we know that next gen CCX will have 6 core setup, and mainstream CPUs will top at 12 cores, if they are going for 48 core design on Epyc CPUs in 7 nm process, right?

GloFo is claiming up to 5 GHz clock frequency possible. Of course, there is a matter of the architecture itself and FO4, but still...
oajvimprrw3z.png

Low end 6 core/12 Thread with 4 GHz, for 199$? YES PLEASE! Remember that 6 core, next gen will replace the 4C/8T CPUs, for Ryzen 5 lineup. The only thing that Ryzen arch lacks on 14 nm process lacks is the ability to clock high enough in low power envelope. 4 GHz is quick, just not quick enough to beat Intel. Next gen can be neck and neck between both companies.

How come? CoffeLake and CannonLake are the same uArchitecture as Skylake/Kaby Lake. CoffeLake adds 6 core on Mainstream CPUs, and CannonLake is 10 nm version of it.

Also: Threadripper is right now on B2 stepping. All of the CPUs are on B2 stepping. 140W for 12C/24T CPUs, and 180W for 16C/32T. 16C/32T is supposed to top out at 3.6 Base/ 4.0 GHz Boost.

It will be interesting to observe the power consumption of the CPUs on both sides. 16 and 18 core from Intel, and 16 core from AMD.

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
No what we have is your usual cherry picking. Please provide the links to the complete information.
It is complete information. Those numbers are based on engineering mules that IBM engineers did in cooperation with GloFo and AMD.

If you missed it. Current slack of Epyc CPUs Turbo to 3.0 GHz. And they are server CPUs. Connect the dots.
And those CPUs are the only ones that are manufactured in GloFo fabs, that can be thought as: server chips ;)

P.S. I think this is actually official press release from GlobalFoundries so you can found it yourself.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
It is complete information. Those numbers are based on engineering mules that IBM engineers did in cooperation with GloFo and AMD.

If you missed it. Current slack of Epyc CPUs Turbo to 3.0 GHz. And they are server CPUs. Connect the dots.
And those CPUs are the only ones that are manufactured in GloFo fabs, that can be thought as: server chips ;)

P.S. I think this is actually official press release from GlobalFoundries so you can found it yourself.

Links

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Ah, but you just "forgot" to put that link in your previous post.
Maybe it wasn't "forgot", because she saw what happened when she cherry-picked a graph showing ("alarming") power use for the 10 core Intel CPU - and got promptly slapped down by people who followed her link and showed how dishonest she was.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Maybe it wasn't "forgot", because she saw what happened when she cherry-picked a graph showing ("alarming") power use for the 10 core Intel CPU - and got promptly slapped down by people who followed her link and showed how dishonest she was.
He, that is first thing.

Secondly. Only in Intel fanboy eyes I have cherry picked something, about their beloved company, that they did not liked.
So it was not me who was dishonest, but those who wanted to mitigate the importance of power consumption, and thermal output.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So, AMD is using 99.9% of the Ryzen dies.

It would seem that the worst go to Epyc.

And it looks like there could still be quad core Threadripper and dual core Ryzen.

xsmi123

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2016
Sylvania, OH
Cube, I would think the clock speeds are lowered to ensure reliability. Most server chips I'm seeing on both sides are in a 1.7-2.3 range. Of course this is pure speculation on my part. I don't know enough about the tech behind it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Cube, I would think the clock speeds are lowered to ensure reliability. Most server chips I'm seeing on both sides are in a 1.7-2.3 range. Of course this is pure speculation on my part. I don't know enough about the tech behind it.
No, I think the clock speeds are lower because of thermals and it looks like AMD is not wanting to sell higher clocked parts with less cores.
[doublepost=1498079515][/doublepost]Walmart is selling the 1700X for $296.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
AMD Ryzen is so fantastic! Intel i9 is already screwed because of its power consumption and heat.

But one thing: They can not use TB3. Will Intel let AMD to use TB3 after next year since they gonna release TB3 license for free?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
AMD Ryzen is so fantastic! Intel i9 is already screwed because of its power consumption and heat.

But one thing: They can not use TB3. Will Intel let AMD to use TB3 after next year since they gonna release TB3 license for free?
And Zen is screwed because it doesn't support SGX. ;)

So you swallowed Koyoot's cherry-picked chart? And ignored subsequent posts showing that i9 is more efficient than many Ryzen CPUs?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.