Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvbcheck

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2014
Germany
Here you are.

Attachments

• img_2419.jpg
    img_2419.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 313
  • img_2420.jpg
    img_2420.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 310

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Which RX VEGA 64?
[doublepost=1538655389][/doublepost]I noticed that upgrading to Mojave does have positive impact to those with a RX Vega 64. I have a sapphire RX VEGA 64 Nitro and the fan issues are over to a point I can live with.
  • Standard boot and usage will keep the fans off,
  • GPU intensive tasks will speed up the fans. They fall off to the Idle speed which is 1500RPM in my case.
  • Sleep and wake will recover the videocard to a state that the fans will be turned off.
  • Sometimes the fans will speed up for a short moment but will fall off to 0RPM this can happen every minute. I don't know why this is happening. Sleep Wake doesn't help always.
  • Anyway its much better as it was in High Sierra.
Dream mode on: Since Vega's are more or less supported as eGPU I hope vendors will create tools to adjust the AMD GPU's on the fly directly from macOS. Dream mode off.

How did you install your RX Vega 64 Nitro on your Mac Pro? Did you remove the PCI fan? How are powering the card? Pixlas mod? Do you have any pictures of your mod? Thanks!

UmarOMC

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
NYC
Successfully upgraded to Red Dragon 56 Vega.
Reboot to Windows with Script from PianoPro
(https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...w-i-cant-boot-into-my-windows-volume.2144009/)

This is the exact card I have my eye on. I'm considering the switch to Team Red because of the wait for NVIDIA's WebDrivers and having to swap cards for Recovery Mode (which I believe this card supports based on original post?) in case of failures, although I know there's the black boot screen but now I'd need a script/hack to boot into Windows from Mojave? I already have Win7 Pro installed on a partition on my boot drive and don't plan on 'upgrading' but will booting into Windows possibly brick my MacPro now?

Thanks in advance for your patience, I haven't had an AMD card in my system for a couple of years and after using a GTX1070 I can't settle for less than an RX56.

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I have one of the cards that doesn't have the high speed fan issue, but does have the problem where, in Mojave, the fan doesn't spin down once idle. Are there any cards that do not suffer from the issue where the fan doesn't spin down in Mojave? Or does that affect them all?

BTW, just opening up a 4K video in Quicktime, pausing it, and leaving it in the background fixes the issue, the video doesn't need to be playing (at least for me).

Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I have one of the cards that doesn't have the high speed fan issue, but does have the problem where, in Mojave, the fan doesn't spin down once idle. Are there any cards that do not suffer from the issue where the fan doesn't spin down in Mojave? Or does that affect them all?

Not that I know of.

Can not anyone have a TDP limited (200W) Vega 64 BIOS?
This version would be good, but I can not find it anywhere.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-nano.c2997

There isn't one that I know of. Secondary Nitro+ 64 BIOS is 210W, but it will probably still consume more than that under load.
[doublepost=1539929509][/doublepost]I found a couple reviews for the WX 8200. It looks like a nice workstation card. I don't think you'd see any benefit with it over an RX Vega 56 under macOS so not worth paying over double the price for it, but it would be great for certain professional apps under Windows such as Maya and 3ds Max where it performs very well compared to an Nvidia P5000. Overall performance looks lower than a RX Vega 56. The LuxMark score under Windows in one of the reviews was 24,457. Last time I benchmarked the Pulse 56 under Windows it was 29,999.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-pro-wx-8200-pro-gpu-review?page=1

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ro-wx-8200-professional-graphics-card-review/

Last edited:

hannibal1969

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018

BTW, just opening up a 4K video in Quicktime, pausing it, and leaving it in the background fixes the issue, the video doesn't need to be playing (at least for me).

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Sapphire Vega 64+ Nitro however a sleep and a wake restores the Idle setting of the card so the fans stay idle again (in Mojave). The quicktime play movie didn't help but I didn't know that it had to be 4K. Is there possibly also a h264 / h265 difference?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Hi,

I have the same issue with my Sapphire Vega 64+ Nitro however a sleep and a wake restores the Idle setting of the card so the fans stay idle again (in Mojave). The quicktime play movie didn't help but I didn't know that it had to be 4K. Is there possibly also a h264 / h265 difference?

Yes, it needs to be HEVC 4K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.