Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
And Zen is screwed because it doesn't support SGX. ;)

So you swallowed Koyoot's cherry-picked chart? And ignored subsequent posts showing that i9 is more efficient than many Ryzen CPUs?

i9 series used thermal paste. That's already screwed up because it wont gonna holds its temperature. i9 7900X has 23% better performance but it consumes 62% more power. i9 have the worst power efficient.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-12.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html

Not only that, Intel i9 limited its performance like PCIE lines, Nvme software upgrade price, does not support TB3, and more.

Check youtube and google. So many people surprised intel i9's power consumption and heat issue already.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
AMD Ryzen is so fantastic! Intel i9 is already screwed because of its power consumption and heat.

But one thing: They can not use TB3. Will Intel let AMD to use TB3 after next year since they gonna release TB3 license for free?
8 core CPUs are really best you can buy If you consider cost of platform, performance, and performance per watt. 10 core is different story. Still it requires water coolling, and it consumes around 185W alone, So this is a concern for iMac Pro. We shall see how iMac works under load, but I dont have high hopes for it...

Yes, Thunderbolt protocol will be open to everybody next year and that is the year we might see the switch from Intel to AMD CPUs in Apple computers. Will we see this? Time will tell.

P.S. Watch out with calling things out about Nvidia and Intel on this forum. You will be called fanboy, from the most vocal ones ;)

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I don't think so. All of Server and Workstation parts, regardless if they are supposed to be 1U or 2U(single or double socket) will have 128 PCIe lanes.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6iolol/seems_like_epyc_is_on_a_b2_stepping_of_zen_arch/

It appears that they are not worst dies ;).
Yes, there could be dual core Ryzen and quad core Threadripper.

But it is pointless.
Maybe they will be the worst if everything becomes B2 then.

I don't think those chips would be pointless, quad core TR would get double the L3 and have more PCIe lanes. It hangs on whether there will be relatively cheap X399 motherboards, and having more people buying into the platform would facilitate that happening.

Dual core Ryzen would compete against Pentium.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Maybe they will be the worst if everything becomes B2 then.

I don't think those chips would be pointless, quad core TR would get double the L3 and have more PCIe lanes. It hangs on whether there will be relatively cheap X399 motherboards, and having more people buying into the platform would facilitate that happening.
One word for the bolded: no ;).
Dual core Ryzen would compete against Pentium.
4 Core/4 Thread Ryzen 3 is supposed to compete with Pentium.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
One word for the bolded: no ;).

4 Core/4 Thread Ryzen 3 is supposed to compete with Pentium.
I don't see why there could not be $150 X399 motherboards eventually if there's $180 X99.

I think that Ryzen will still cost quite a bit more than Pentium.

I mean they make sense theoretically. In practice, the yields may be too good.

But it is seeing 8-core Epyc that tells that might be a possibility. Although this might be happening if B2 also means tweaked process perhaps.

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I don't see why there could not be $150 X399 motherboards eventually if there's $180 X99.

I think that Ryzen will still cost quite a bit more than Pentium.

I mean they make sense theoretically. In practice, the yields may be too good.

But it is seeing 8-core Epyc that tells that might be a possibility. Although this might be happening if B2 also means tweaked process perhaps.
Because AM4 motherboards are costing this much. TR4 socket will cost at least 299$.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
8 core CPUs are really best you can buy If you consider cost of platform, performance, and performance per watt. 10 core is different story. Still it requires water coolling, and it consumes around 185W alone, So this is a concern for iMac Pro. We shall see how iMac works under load, but I dont have high hopes for it...

Yes, Thunderbolt protocol will be open to everybody next year and that is the year we might see the switch from Intel to AMD CPUs in Apple computers. Will we see this? Time will tell.

P.S. Watch out with calling things out about Nvidia and Intel on this forum. You will be called fanboy, from the most vocal ones ;)

I really doubt that TB3 will be available in AMD motherboard because the controller will be available only in Intel CPU. The controller chip will no longer available on the motherboard but CPU.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I really doubt that TB3 will be available in AMD motherboard because the controller will be available only in Intel CPU. The controller chip will no longer available on the motherboard but CPU.
Thunderbolt Protocol will be open to everybody. MoBo manufacturers, CPU manufacturers, ARM vendors, GPU manufacturers... etc.
X370 motherboards start at $120.
Show me MoBos with similar amount of features to X399 MoBos, but on AM4 platform, and their cost. Yup. They are all 180 and up. That is why X399 will be at least 299$.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
Thunderbolt Protocol will be open to everybody. MoBo manufacturers, CPU manufacturers, ARM vendors, GPU manufacturers... etc.

But intel mentioned that the controller will be only available in Intel CPU. Without the controller, TB3 is meaningless.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
No. Intel announced that their CPUs will come with Thunderbolt, but they did not specified when it will happen ;).

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
It does not make sense to open Thunderbolt Protocol to everybody if it is tied only to Intel CPUs, don't you think?

A protocol will be open to everybody BUT the controller will be only available in Intel CPU. So AMD CPU wont gonna use TB3 at all. Protocol and controller are different things. Yes, people can make TB3 accessories or computer with TB3 but CPU has to be Intel. Not AMD. Intel wont gonna give controllers to AMD since they have to compete with AMD Ryzen.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
A protocol will be open to everybody BUT the controller will be only available in Intel CPU. So AMD CPU wont gonna use TB3 at all. Protocol and controller are different things. Yes, people can make TB3 accessories or computer with TB3 but CPU has to be Intel. Not AMD. Intel wont gonna give controllers to AMD since they have to compete with AMD Ryzen.
Thanks. I will definitely look into this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.