Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has expanded its partnership with American Airlines, as the airline is now offering free Apple TV+ streaming as an in-flight entertainment option (via The Points Guy).

Apple-TV-Ray-Light.jpg

Only select Apple TV+ shows like "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," and "Defending Jacob" are available for in-flight viewing at the current time. An American Airlines representative confirmed to The Points Guy that the airline will rotate content available from Apple TV+ each month.

Apple last year partnered with American Airlines to offer ‌Apple Music‌ streaming on any American Airlines flight in the United States equipped with Viasat satellite technology with no Wi-Fi purchase required. To access the service in-flight, however, an Apple Music subscription is required.

Aside from now being available as an in-flight entertainment option on American Airlines flights, Apple TV‌‌+ is available through the TV app on the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, ‌‌Apple TV‌‌, Mac, select Samsung and LG smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices, as well as online at tv.apple.com.

A full list of ‌‌Apple TV‌‌+ shows both released and in the works can be found in our Apple TV+ content guide.

Article Link: American Airlines Offers Free Apple TV+ Streaming as In-Flight Entertainment Option

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
This will be a very nice perk for those who like Apple and fly American.
Because they haven’t already seen these shows AND they need to distract themselves from the itchy nose they have from wearing their mask for 6 hours on a cross-country flight?

Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68030
Feb 24, 2009
Defending Jacob is an amazing show. Honestly I love a lot of the shows on Apple TV. Haven’t really understood the hate that seems to come from these comments.

I like ATV+, but I was thoroughly disappointed with the 2nd half of Defending Jacob.

Comment

TriBruin

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Don’t think they give it to AA for free.
I doubt that AA is paying for it. Apple either gave it for free or is paying AA to offer the videos. In the list of reasons to pick an airline (price, schedule, loyalty programs), what videos you can watch are way down the list. How many people are going say "Hey I can watch The Morning Show on AA, so I am going to buy an AA ticket"

OTOH, there is a huge benefit to Apple. They are expecting (hoping) that passengers will decide to watch an episode of TMS or Defending Jacob and think to the themselves "I like this show and want to see more" This is similar to offering a free trial. Hope that people watch an episode and want to see more.

Reactions: 69Mustang
Comment

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
It was a joke making fun of Apple steering off-course into content instead of just sticking to their DNA of making great hardware platforms. This is how it goes when you get too big and bored with your money. Let’s make TV shows, let’s do radio, let’s be a bank, let’s be an ISP (Google), etc.
Quite so. And I reckon we will have a few more years of it until Apple buys in a whole lot of content.

Comment

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I doubt that AA is paying for it. Apple either gave it for free or is paying AA to offer the videos. In the list of reasons to pick an airline (price, schedule, loyalty programs), what videos you can watch are way down the list. How many people are going say "Hey I can watch The Morning Show on AA, so I am going to buy an AA ticket"

OTOH, there is a huge benefit to Apple. They are expecting (hoping) that passengers will decide to watch an episode of TMS or Defending Jacob and think to the themselves "I like this show and want to see more" This is similar to offering a free trial. Hope that people watch an episode and want to see more.

Wanna bet? They pay for it as a perk to fly American.

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
I doubt that AA is paying for it.

.. or their customers can watch it for free. I suspect only TV+ subscribers can watch it just like with Apple Music, or AA paying for it with advertisings or something else.
In short, Apple will get paid any way.

They don't need that. Anyone can watch TV+ for free for a month if they have a device to watch it. If someone won’t have a device to watch it, to let them watch for free on AA would be futile since no one will go out to buy a device specially for TV+ anyway.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.