American flag in the upper right corner??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by edcoche, Nov 11, 2007.

  1. edcoche macrumors regular


    Nov 2, 2007
    Ok, I don't know what I did but suddenly there is an american flag in the right hand corner of my screen on the command bar (i think it's called the command bar.) Why? Last thing I did was I took a screenshot by pressing command+shift+4 and then I noticed the flag. I know this is a rookie ? but hey, thats what this section is for! ;)
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    It's the International/Character Palette menu item. Not sure how you activated it. I keep it up there because the Character Palette gives me quick access to a lot of different symbols.

    You can get rid of it by simply holding down the Command key and dragging it off of the menu bar.
  3. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I'd also like to add that if you don't have it, but would like it, you should open up an app which uses text (Safari is the easiest) and then click on:

    Special Characters

    It should remain in your Menu Bar thereafter.
  4. Razzerman macrumors regular

    Sep 11, 2007
    Same thing happens to me - for some reason the flag keeps changing to the American one. Sometimes goes to Welsh flag as well. Not sure what key combo does this...
  5. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I believe if you right-click on the flag, and then choose "open International" you will see the following:

    Attached Files:

  6. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    System Preferences, International, Input Menu.

    At the bottom there is a checkbox "Show input menu in menu bar"
    And it seems you have activated the Welsh keyboard.
  7. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular


    Nov 2, 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys! Little by little, day by day, I am getting this OS down. I have had my macbook for 2 1/2 days and I am already convinced that this os is far superior than the others (at least for what I do w/ it.) This is coming from a proficient windows user. :cool:
  8. gavnor macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2008
    Battle of the Empires

    I am having the same problem as edcoche. I know what it's there for I use it. I also know I can click on the flag and switch it back to the union jack. Why is there a stars and stripes anyway, why not our french fry cousins tricolour?

    The question, yet unanswered is what is the key command or other prompt that switches the flag over, so our friend edcoche and I can avoid it and not waste time fiddling round in system prefs? Or move my mouse all the way up to the menu bar when I've got better things to be doing.

    All the best macies.

    FOUND IT! It's APPLE SPACE ! or COMMAND SPACE ! which in system 10.4.11 switches the input menu but in system 10.5.2 opens spotlight.... go figure!
  9. Dustman macrumors 65816


    Apr 17, 2007
    You can change it to a Canadian flag by changing the keyboard layout to Canadian.. If you'd prefer, which I most certainly do :p
  10. PenGwyn macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2008
    Can I change the flag without changing the Input Menu option

    Does anyone know where the flags are stored and if it is possible to change the icon that goes with a keyboard layout?
  11. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
  12. PenGwyn macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not in America or American, I'd just like to have my flag at the top of the screen.

Share This Page