American wanting to move to England and work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theenigmat, Nov 23, 2008.

1. theenigmat macrumors member

Hey guys!

As a 22 yr old college graduate facing a grim American economy, I've been thinking about going overseas to find work and enjoy a different culture. Even though I've spent many hours thinking about this, I have no clue where to begin and how to start searching for jobs in the UK. Any advice (pro or con) would be greatly appreciated.

A bit of info: I have a BA in Religion and Theology with a background in the Methodist Church working with youth groups. Additionally, I have experience in IT and computer repair.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You might be surprised at how difficult it is to come here and work, as an American. You can't just fly in, find a place to live and legally apply for work.

You'll get a lot of detailed help with your queries right here.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not to mention that the UK economy isn't exactly in great shape either.

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Ok, my wife is from NY so I know a bit about this. You need to come in with a visa, there are several routes:

Marriage
    Student
    Highly Skilled Migrant
    Working

The first is self-explanatory, the second requires you to study so many hours and work no more than another number of hours. The third option is if we need you, more for Doctors and the like, and fourth if you can find a job that nobody else wants after it has been advertised for two weeks or more.

Check out the home office or similar via google.

You could also come by registering with a fictitious 'college' and getting a student visa, but I wouldn't be able to recommend that.

Basically, you either get married or do something we can't or won't do!

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's difficult for Americans to emigrate anywhere. Other countries generally don't want us. I had an honest Canadian friend of mine tell me that.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not quite. It's difficult for Americans to emigrate to the EU, but Canada has pretty simple immigration requirements. For the UK (or anywhere else in the EU) you would need a job offer (which means that the job was offered first to those in the UK (or whatever country you want to move to), then to those in the rest of the EU, and then finally a non-EU citizen), but Canada has a points-based system and as long as you meet the minimum requirements you are good.

Honestly, if you want to emigrate to the EU, go as a student. It's the easiest way you will get in.

7. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't come to the UK right now. It looks like the mess our banks have made is going to make it look like your economy is just having a bad day.

Think seriously about it before jumping.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

unfortunately it is true, i have been overseas many times and in south america as well, always being overcharged and looked at weirdly then i turn around and they see the Canadian flag on my backpack and suddenly prices and expressions change....

9. Queso macrumors G4

So that's why every single Canadian (and a few Yanks too) cover themselves in maple leaf motifs...:p

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol yupppp,, I always make sure i ve got a maple leaf somewhere in my clothes when i go on trips because of this, unless they are Canadian or American most people can't see or tell teh difference...but a bright red maple leaf makes it a lot easier :D

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You would be very welcome in the UK by the majority of the people, you just need to find a job (or a college)

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Before you do come, please learn about the differences between "England" and the "UK". I know there are plenty of people here who still simply do not get it, but it really is not that hard.

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

But it is only a problem outside of England...

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, it's a problem which affects everyone. I tire of hearing reports on BBC News where they will say "over to our correspondent in Essex" and then later will say "we'll now speak with our reporter in County Down, Northern Ireland".

The only real time when a person from the UK should refer to where they live as being "England" or "Scotland" etc is when there needs to be a clear distinction, such as when discussing matters of a political or legislative nature.

I don't understand it either - no one who is currently alive in the United Kingdom ever experienced life with each area as a separate, independent country. Why can't people feel patriotic towards the UK?

I really do wish we could all just get along and see the overall good which having the Union brings.

Anyway, to the OP:

United Kingdom = England, Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland
    England = England

15. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I work with a lot of Scots, Welsh, N Irish and they always seem to be the ones wanting a distinction. I agree of course that there is a difference, but the English don't seem too fussed to be called English or British. A jock however will go crazy and demand to be known as Scottish.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lets swap identities, problem solved. Just watch the film Brassed Off and try to mimic as many accents as you can then we're good to go.

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Us "jocks' don't care if we are called Scottish or British. But we do mind being called English. Because we're not.

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That's a little like suggesting that if I started calling an English person 'Welsh', they wouldn't point out they were English.

EDIT: What Robbie said...

19. theenigmat thread starter macrumors member

Wow! Thanks for all the help guys.

Blue Velvet: I checked out that site and will see what information I can get from there. Thanks!

Applespider: I'm suprised to hear that the English economy is as bad as the American economy. I figured that since the American economy had become so bloated that it's collapse would be harder and more severe than elsewhere in the world. Good food for thought.

Everyone else, thanks for the advice and such.

As I was writing, I did feel that my use of UK and England were not synonymous and will remember the difference.

I'm going to turn my attention to the site that Blue Velvet recommended and see what I can find out. Like many young Americans fresh out of college, I'm having a hard time finding work and, even though the political climate is changing, I'm really tired of the American lifestyle.

PS: Raggedjimi, I'm 6'2" lean with brown hair... think the switch would work?

20. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I have a British passport.

Send me your photo and I'll have it updated.

Obv. you do the same :)

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? As Americans we wish but never seem to successfully demand that anyone who comes here speak the language. ;)

theenigmat, a few things ...
    Trying to run from the economy is a waste of time. As previously mentioned, it's not so hot across the pond either.

Trying to run from American government is also a waste of time. You can run from our government, but you're going to run into another and quite frankly ... I think you need to spend a little more than "hours" thinking about this. Perhaps you need to learn about the government over there as well as the culture in general. Of course, as it has been so boldly pointed out for you ... it is not as easy as you think to move to another country and just get a job. You may be sorely disappointed.

22. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

what you talking about most people that move to the States already speak Spanish..;)..oh waittttt yeah official language lol:rolleyes:

23. walker609 macrumors newbie

close but not quite

ok im 17. im currently a junior. and i want to move to somewhere in south england near london. for resns i dont realy want to go into i feel a need to move far away and basicly start over. after a few months of thinking i decided on england. i want to finish school there but i will happily put it off to work harder. i plan to live as basicly and as cheeply as i posibly can in terrible neighborhoods and only the worst minimum wage jobs. i have no aspirations for a comfortable stay for at least 6 months. im smart and do well in school but thats by amarican standards and i understand yours are much higher. can anybody point me in the right direction or if this is a dumb or imposible idea briefly explain why.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As this is your first post I will cut you some slack, but not much.

Work on your communication skills, and come back when you are Senior.

25. codymac macrumors 6502

1 - Go to work for an international firm.
    2 - Have said firm send you abroad for work.

That's how I did it.