Amex Ext Warranty FTW (Beats A/C Again!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The SD slot on my early 2011 became fussy recently -- original Apple warranty expired, of course. I took it in to the Apple Store to see what could be done. After a few tests the Genius determined the only way to fix it was a new $500 logic board. So I called up AMEX and filed a warranty claim and then faxed them a copy of my rec't and repair est. A week later they credited my acct $515. (I guess they included gas money. Ha!)

Since it's a minor issue I've decided not to repair and sell it at a below market price to compensate for the wobbly SD reader. I'm going to use the proceeds + AMEX credit to buy a new machine, something you can't do with AppleCare.

So for all you who keep telling me CC extended warranties are a joke, well, I can reconfirm that AMEX's program is the real deal. (This is the second time I've had to use it -- other time was years ago, but similar outcome, except I did the repair since it was a bum SuperDrive.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wait, so they reimbursed you for a repair that you never had done? :confused:

3. auero, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

auero macrumors 65816

I'm surprised they credit you before making you fix it. I've had to do this before and they didn't credit me until right after I was charged.

Amex extended warranty is good but be careful because it doesn't cover EVERYTHING. There are certain products they exclude which you can find here... http://creditcardforum.com/blog/american-express-extended-warranty/

They've saved me a few times myself with a logic board repair and even reimburse me for a broken iPhone out of warranty.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I too am surprised. The only time I've used AMEX for a repair like that I was required to show the estimate then the receipt for the repair. What you did seems slightly wrong to me but whatever. To your point, clearly the CC warranty allows you to claim for a repair, not repair it, then sell the machine and buy new. Kudos champ.

And I don't know who you're childishly whining to about being told CC warranties are bad; the theme on this particular subject throughout the forums is that the CC warranties are quite good.

5. deerfaced macrumors regular

OP: I read your post and imagined you with your avatar's face.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's no worse than an auto insurance company cutting you a check for a repair, and then you opting not to do it.

7. Boiler macrumors regular

That ain't right

You cut the sales price by $50
    Pocket the $515 for a whole logic board replacement never done

It's brilliant for you
    Good luck keeping money without doing repair

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yeah, where I'm from this is called "fraud." There's no way for you to be caught, of course, but you're committing fraud. People like you ruin good things for the rest of us. Ugh.

Also fraud. What's your point? "This fraud is no different than that other fraud." Correct! Does that make it ok?

9. Boiler macrumors regular

But since there is no way to get caught
    He might not be ruining anything
    Amex was willing to pay something if it needed repaired
    Someone willingly buys the old one
    Apple makes new sale
    Op saves on new one

The other buyer who has to wait one more day or hour to find a new mbp is inconvenienced

Good luck fell in his lap
    And very sneaky way to profit from it

10. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

When the repair doesn't show up on the amex bill, they will question it. He will have to show proof of repair, or they will take the money back out of the account. CC companies aint dumb.

11. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, I was surprised too b/c the last time (years ago) I had to charge the repair on my AMEX then send them the receipt, not just an estimate. Apparently they changed their routine.

As for "childishly whining," I'm a bit confused. Why would anyone whine about someone else ripping themselves off? My response was only to the point that in every "Should I get Apple Care" thread where I say "no" b/c of CC ext. warranties, inevitably people jump on me that Apple Care is the only "safe" way to go b/c CC ext. warranties never really work. I'm just pointing out my own experience for non-believers. They can believe or not. If they want to rip themselves off it's no sweat off my back.

I think you are assuming way, way too much. Did I say I was going to cut the sale price by only $50? No, I did not. You fail at mind reading. Also, it's up to the buyer to decide what my machine is worth. I could just cut only $50 off, but that would be a lot of work to find someone dumb enough. Reality -- I'll figure it will bring $500 or so.

Fraud? Maybe the definition of fraud is different in your country. In the U.S. it's no where near. The legal definition of fraud in the U.S. is "an intentional misrepresentation of a material fact by one to another with the knowledge of its falsity for the purpose of inducing the other person to act, resulting in injury or damage."

1) My SD card was wonky. I did not intentionally damage, it went bad on it's own.

2). Apple stated I needed a new logic board and gave me a repair estimate.

3). I submitted that estimate and my sales receipt to Amex for their review.

4). Amex credited my account and did not require me to get the repair

So please tell me how this is fraud. Who is financially harmed here? Amex's credit pays for the repair. If I opt to not get the repair my damaged machine is still damaged, and therefor worth less then if I fixed it. The economics, however, suggests its just dumb to spend $500 to repair a $800 machine.

No. I already called Amex. They don't care. They paid out. They are done with the claim.

12. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whining was a poor choice of word. You kind of came out of the gate seemingly defensive as though your belief that CC warranties are better was somehow refuted. It just read weird.

14. tomiwah macrumors newbie

This pretty much sums it up. Good to hear that AmEx delivered.

15. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Such is the nature of internet boards. If it read defensive it was poor writing on my part. I honest, don't care if people buy an ext. warranty, but I do like to evangelize the free ext warranty many people have w/ their CC and don't know it.

I didn't write this post to boast or be in anyone's face, only to provide a recent real life experience w/ the ext. warranty. Many people post their AppleCare experience so I thought a CC ext. warranty experience might be of value to some, esp. the skeptical ones here.

16. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

No. Car and most other insurances cover damages. Not repairs. There is a huge difference between the two.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's not fraud. It would be fraud to take out a policy after the damage occured and then make a claim. But simply making a claim and electing not to fix the damage is not fraud.

18. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm sure like many others, I browsed this thread and was shocked at the responses to the OP. I'm not sure any of the respondents understands the definition of fraud or how it is determined if someone commits fraud.

If I was the OP I would be insulted by the accusations.

I am not an attorney but I can read and comprehend information that I wish to know more about.

Here is the best short-and-sweet guide to fraud.

Lastly, before you accuse anyone of fraud you read might want to this.

-P

19. psykick5 macrumors 6502

20. bamaster macrumors member

Perhaps you should read what libel means. Being insulted by a post doesn't qualify.

21. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Being insulted by a post doesn't qualify, but being falsely accused of fraud just might. ;)

22. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

23. Slivortal macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

24. a3vr macrumors member

Since Amex didn't require proof of repairs what he did was perfectly legal and ethical. What fraud would be is if he collected again on the SD slot without getting it fixed the first time. Its just like with car insurance. You get a check and you can chose what to do with it (unless you have a lien). However, if you have another claim you can't double dip and get paid for repairs that were not done from the first claim.

25. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

I love how people get on their high horse on here.

Do you really think some guy sitting behind his faulty Mac planning to buy his shiny new one really cares how "immoral" scamming an insurance company is?