Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I love my 6 plus, but in my opinion, the Samsung S6 has a display that blows the iPhone away. I know there will be those who say the colors are too vibrant, and not realistic. There are settings to change the display mode to your liking. I really hope Apple follows suit and implements a super amoled display. What a great phone that would be.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
In that long-a$$ New Yorker profile of Jony Ive from back in Feb., there's a (somewhat amusing) reference to the "new display technology" (i.e., good old AMOLED) used in the watch:

He went on to explain that an Apple Watch uses a new display technology whose blacks are blacker than those in an iPhone’s L.E.D. display. This makes it easier to mask the point where, beneath a glass surface, a display ends and its frame begins. An Apple Watch jellyfish swims in deep space, and becomes, Ive said, as much an attribute of the watch as an image. On a current iPhone screen, a jellyfish would be pinned against dark gray, and framed in black, and, Ive said, have “much less magic.”

Sounds like Ive is enamored enough with AMOLED that it may indeed make its way to the iPhone (plus, isn't it required for "Force Touch")?

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Nice find. I didn't know anything about it being required for force touch.

Keep in mind, I don't know that for sure (I've just seen people say it on here). And, of course, we don't even know for sure that force touch is coming the iPhone...(though it sounds like a reasonable bet).

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I am not a fan of anything Samsung when it comes to phones. Except those displays. They are absolutely the best displays year after year.

If Apple can accomplish that quality by switching to amoled, I'm all for it.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I can imagine the cool things that :apple: will do if they add AMOLED. Probably won't come until next year though.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
I recently purchased a 6+ and previously used a Galaxy Nexus for about 2 1/2 years. I loved the color saturation and contrast of the AMOLED screen, but I actually prefer the current iPhone screen because it MUCH easier to see in the sunlight. My gnex screen was beautiful indoors but was almost impossible to see on a sunny day. The 6+, on the other hand, is great outside. For me, the trade off of nicer colors vs visibility in sunlight was worth it.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I recently purchased a 6+ and previously used a Galaxy Nexus for about 2 1/2 years. I loved the color saturation and contrast of the AMOLED screen, but I actually prefer the current iPhone screen because it MUCH easier to see in the sunlight. My gnex screen was beautiful indoors but was almost impossible to see on a sunny day. The 6+, on the other hand, is great outside. For me, the trade off of nicer colors vs visibility in sunlight was worth it.
Don't even compare the GNex screen to the 6 or S6, that display was one of the worst Samsung ever made. Just horrible. If you are thinking of Samsung AMOLED displays as being like the GNex, you need to pick up an S6 to see how far they've come.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I test drove the s6 for 10 days. It is easier to see outside than the 6 plus!

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
And their RAM #

Don't know how useful that might be in the real world. The android NEEDS the ram due to an os that have poor ram management and bloatwares. iOS on the other hand is pretty efficient. In theory all of the iOS device are under power and they don't feel like it

Reactions: LucasEVille

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't know how useful that might be in the real world. The android NEEDS the ram due to an os that have poor ram management and bloatwares. iOS on the other hand is pretty efficient. In theory all of the iOS device are under power and they don't feel like it

These days probably useful enough to have more than 1 GB of RAM...but that's a somewhat different discussion really and likely going to happen in the near future (with the iPad Air 2 already sporting 2 GB of RAM).

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Another potential benefit of an OLED screen is a dark skin for iOS as dark colours use less energy.

Not normally worried about dark skins, but iOS has too many blindingly bright screens.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014

The s6 display is much better in daylight than the six plus. Not sure what you're referencing bud.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I am not a fan of anything Samsung when it comes to phones. Except those displays. They are absolutely the best displays year after year.

If Apple can accomplish that quality by switching to amoled, I'm all for it.

Recently, yes. But previously their displays were way over saturated.

Now, wow.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Honestly, I didn't notice much difference between the s6 and the 6 plus as far as phone speed goes. Never had any issues with either. The 6 plus seems to have a little better build quality and feels more solid in hand. The s6's display and camera are in a league of their own, imo

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm ok with AMOLED as long as Mac Rumors isn't suddenly filled with children saying Apple has copied Samsung by using their technology na na na na naaaa! lol. Seriously though I am happy with the current screens but if it's an improvement then why not. :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
He has his tabs reload all the time when he get more than two or three open so NOT the RAM.

I have my apps and tabs reload all the time and I only ever use one tab now. I've had to completely change how I use my 6+ coming from the i5. I used to be able to have three or four tabs open and still not have apps reload but sadly the 6+ can't handle anything without reloading. My Android tablet with only 1.5 gigs of RAM is a champ for not reloading so I can't see how these beasts with 3 or 4 GB reload so easily.

----------

Mine is absolutely underpowered for my needs mate.
Reloads for fun, multiple times per day. It's beyond a joke.
I would MUCH rather have 'poor RAM management' with bags of RAM than supposedly good RAM management with next to no RAM.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm ok with AMOLED as long as Mac Rumors isn't suddenly filled with children saying Apple has copied Samsung by using their technology na na na na naaaa! lol. Seriously though I am happy with the current screens but if it's an improvement then why not. :)
Are you kidding? It will be full of praises about how Apple uses the best display technology and others who also use AMOLED displays are now copying Apple :p

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Are you kidding? It will be full of praises about how Apple uses the best display technology and others who also use AMOLED displays are now copying Apple :p

We seem to get lunatics from both sides of the asylum with this sort of thing lol. Let's meet the in the middle if it happens and praise Apple for adopting it and praise Samsung for designing and developing it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.