amoled in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BullittMustang, May 21, 2015.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Don't get me wrong, I love my 6 plus, but in my opinion, the Samsung S6 has a display that blows the iPhone away. I know there will be those who say the colors are too vibrant, and not realistic. There are settings to change the display mode to your liking. I really hope Apple follows suit and implements a super amoled display. What a great phone that would be.

2. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

In that long-a$$ New Yorker profile of Jony Ive from back in Feb., there's a (somewhat amusing) reference to the "new display technology" (i.e., good old AMOLED) used in the watch:

He went on to explain that an Apple Watch uses a new display technology whose blacks are blacker than those in an iPhone’s L.E.D. display. This makes it easier to mask the point where, beneath a glass surface, a display ends and its frame begins. An Apple Watch jellyfish swims in deep space, and becomes, Ive said, as much an attribute of the watch as an image. On a current iPhone screen, a jellyfish would be pinned against dark gray, and framed in black, and, Ive said, have “much less magic.”

Sounds like Ive is enamored enough with AMOLED that it may indeed make its way to the iPhone (plus, isn't it required for "Force Touch")?

3. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice find. I didn't know anything about it being required for force touch.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Bring AMOLED on as I am always jealous of my friend's Samsung screen!

5. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind, I don't know that for sure (I've just seen people say it on here). And, of course, we don't even know for sure that force touch is coming the iPhone...(though it sounds like a reasonable bet).

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I am not a fan of anything Samsung when it comes to phones. Except those displays. They are absolutely the best displays year after year.

If Apple can accomplish that quality by switching to amoled, I'm all for it.

7. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I can imagine the cool things that :apple: will do if they add AMOLED. Probably won't come until next year though.

8. tedley macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 6+ and previously used a Galaxy Nexus for about 2 1/2 years. I loved the color saturation and contrast of the AMOLED screen, but I actually prefer the current iPhone screen because it MUCH easier to see in the sunlight. My gnex screen was beautiful indoors but was almost impossible to see on a sunny day. The 6+, on the other hand, is great outside. For me, the trade off of nicer colors vs visibility in sunlight was worth it.

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Don't even compare the GNex screen to the 6 or S6, that display was one of the worst Samsung ever made. Just horrible. If you are thinking of Samsung AMOLED displays as being like the GNex, you need to pick up an S6 to see how far they've come.

10. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

I test drove the s6 for 10 days. It is easier to see outside than the 6 plus!

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm still hoping the 6s will have an OLED display.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

And their RAM #

13. threezero macrumors 6502

Don't know how useful that might be in the real world. The android NEEDS the ram due to an os that have poor ram management and bloatwares. iOS on the other hand is pretty efficient. In theory all of the iOS device are under power and they don't feel like it

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

These days probably useful enough to have more than 1 GB of RAM...but that's a somewhat different discussion really and likely going to happen in the near future (with the iPad Air 2 already sporting 2 GB of RAM).

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Another potential benefit of an OLED screen is a dark skin for iOS as dark colours use less energy.

Not normally worried about dark skins, but iOS has too many blindingly bright screens.

16. CYKBC macrumors 6502

The s6 display is much better in daylight than the six plus. Not sure what you're referencing bud.

17. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Recently, yes. But previously their displays were way over saturated.

Now, wow.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

He has his tabs reload all the time when he get more than two or three open so NOT the RAM.

19. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I didn't notice much difference between the s6 and the 6 plus as far as phone speed goes. Never had any issues with either. The 6 plus seems to have a little better build quality and feels more solid in hand. The s6's display and camera are in a league of their own, imo

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'm ok with AMOLED as long as Mac Rumors isn't suddenly filled with children saying Apple has copied Samsung by using their technology na na na na naaaa! lol. Seriously though I am happy with the current screens but if it's an improvement then why not. :)

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have my apps and tabs reload all the time and I only ever use one tab now. I've had to completely change how I use my 6+ coming from the i5. I used to be able to have three or four tabs open and still not have apps reload but sadly the 6+ can't handle anything without reloading. My Android tablet with only 1.5 gigs of RAM is a champ for not reloading so I can't see how these beasts with 3 or 4 GB reload so easily.

----------

Mine is absolutely underpowered for my needs mate.
    Reloads for fun, multiple times per day. It's beyond a joke.
    I would MUCH rather have 'poor RAM management' with bags of RAM than supposedly good RAM management with next to no RAM.

22. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Are you kidding? It will be full of praises about how Apple uses the best display technology and others who also use AMOLED displays are now copying Apple :p

23. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Do current AMOLED screens still have that green tint when viewed off-angle? I find that pretty ugly.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

We seem to get lunatics from both sides of the asylum with this sort of thing lol. Let's meet the in the middle if it happens and praise Apple for adopting it and praise Samsung for designing and developing it. ;)

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have to say that the displays in the S6 and Note 5 are fantastic.