An actual, genuine iPhone X review

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Apologies if already posted, but this is the only iPhone X piece truly worth reading right now. Full of detail and actually qualifying as a 'review'…

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/31/review-the-iphone-x-goes-to-disneyland/
Great review, except when he got to the notch. I was so irked by Apple’s reasoning to include a notch, that I stopped reading the article. Jobs would have turned red in the face and stormed out of the room with the bullcrap defense they gave.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
“I heard some rumor [that] we couldn’t get Touch ID to work through the glass so we had to remove that,” Riccio says, answering a question about whether there were late design changes.

^ So basically Face ID is a band-aid feature but a very good one. Faster than 1st gen Touch ID but slower than 2nd gen. Definitely much more seamless than Samsung's iris scanner. Just not great partying for tonight.

Gen 1
2007 - iPhone
2008 - iPhone 3G
2009 - iPhone 3Gs

Gen 2
2010 - iPhone 4
2011 - iPhone 4s
2012 - iPhone 5
2013 - iPhone 5s

Gen 3
2014 - iPhone 6
2015 - iPhone 6s
2016 - iPhone 7
2017 - iPhone 8

Gen 4
2017 - iPhone X
2018 - iPhone Xs or XI
2019 - iPhone XI or XII
2020 - iPhone XIs or XIII

Gen 5?
2021?

In time, Face ID keeps improving like Touch ID did. Since when have they went backwards? I expect the screen ears to be gone by 2019 or 2021. Apple can use it to differentiate for now but can't use that style forever.

By 2021, no ports. Only power button. AirPower will improve by then and hopefully get much faster. Wireless charging and wireless headphones era revolution begins.

iPhone X is very, very polished for a Gen 1 new design / tick model.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Great review, except when he got to the notch. I was so irked by Apple’s reasoning to include a notch, that I stopped reading the article. Jobs would have turned red in the face and stormed out of the room with the bullcrap defense they gave.
Not sure why the notch annoys some people so much.

There's going to be space next to the camera/sensors/etc. You can choose to use it (make it part of the display) or just have it be dead space.

I think the proper decision was made.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
The only times it wouldn’t work at all is if I had my nose and mouth covered — something that Apple has said from the beginning was a deal breaker.
Ninjas weep. And Muslim women.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
^ So basically Face ID is a band-aid feature but a very good one. Faster than 1st gen Touch ID but slower than 2nd gen. Definitely much more seamless than Samsung's iris scanner. Just not great partying for tonight.
How did you get this out of that quote? That's the complete opposite of what they said.
[doublepost=1509494635][/doublepost]Really great review, I especially liked the talk on the screen tech as that is something I was curious about. Friday needs to hurry up and get here.

Reactions: mzsigler

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
What is the reason?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Good stuff. My only complaint is when he talked about performance:

The reception is still fairly poor in many areas of the park and the radio goes to seek a lot inside rides

I'd love to know if he was using the model with the Intel or Qualcomm modem. A bit geeky maybe but he is writing for TechCrunch not USA Today.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Not sure why the notch annoys some people so much.

There's going to be space next to the camera/sensors/etc. You can choose to use it (make it part of the display) or just have it be dead space.

I think the proper decision was made.
The same reason I don’t like curved “edge” displays, 120hz soap opera TVs, or plugging in a mouse from the bottom: It’s bad design.

I will be viewing pictures and videos at nearly the same size as my four year old, $650 iPhone 6....all because of the decision to go with an assymetrical display.

Love iOS, Android isn’t an option. I wanted the Plus screen on a phone similar to the 6 design. That didn’t happen. I loved my Plus when I had one, but couldn’t deal with its size.

Oh well, better luck next time.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The same reason I don’t like curved “edge” displays, 120hz soap opera TVs, or plugging in a mouse from the bottom: It’s bad design.

I will be viewing pictures and videos at nearly the same size as my four year old, $650 iPhone 6....all because of the decision to go with an assymetrical display.

Love iOS, Android isn’t an option. I wanted the Plus screen on a phone similar to the 6 design. That didn’t happen. I loved my Plus when I had one, but couldn’t deal with its size.

Oh well, better luck next time.
Regarding the mouse, Lightning cable was not designed to have that tension at the connector, so they put it on the bottom to prevent it being used as a wired mouse. They could have come out with a reinforced cable and connector and included it with the mouse, but they are moving away from wires. It was an intentional choice, not a mistake.