Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnaubx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I am nowhere near a professional photographer but still I have a massive 70+ GB photo library which is taking up lots of space on my 2017 MBP. But I only need a fraction of the library on a regular basis. Is there an alternative to the Photos app out there that let me offload -> parts <- of my library to an external drive but leave thumbnails (or low res versions) when browsing without having the external drive connected?

I have a faint memory that either Aperture or Lightroom had such a feature. Now Aperture was discontinued and I don't need the pro features/price tag of Lightroom.

There must be a photos app out there that lets me partially store my photos on an external drive while allowing me to browse lowres/thumbails even when its not connected, right?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Lightroom and Capture One Pro both allow this.

I think photos can do it too with multile catalogs no? Just a bit more convoluted to get the pictures off onto remote storage.

Last edited:

johnaubx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Lightroom and Capture One Pro both allow this.

I think photos can do it too with multile catalogs no? Just a bit more convoluted to get the pictures off onto remote storage.

Thanks! Yes, those two will probably do the job but for a hefty price tag. It's just really surprising that there seemingly isn't a solution to handle large libraries in the consumer space.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks! Yes, those two will probably do the job but for a hefty price tag. It's just really surprising that there seemingly isn't a solution to handle large libraries in the consumer space.

Lol tell us about it.... we all yearn for that too... there is potential on the horizon from the likes of MacPhun the DAM side of the tools seems to be the bit skipped over..
[doublepost=1507929442][/doublepost]This thread may offer some options

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/goodbye-adobe.2059212/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.