An employee in the ATT store said new iphone coming in few months.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gacxx, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gacxx macrumors regular

gacxx

Yeah I know i was aghast. My dad went today while i was at school, and told me than an employee said there will be a new iphone 3g coming out in a few months. New and improved my dad said. IS this even freakin' possible? I think they might release a 32GB version possibly..But new and improved?! Help me out here people. He said they've been keeping it under wraps, but hey, who would believe a person posting a thread, or take it as evidence. Trust me though, I am in no way lying. Help me figure out why they would release new and improved ones, and what you think about it.

Oh, and maybe something could be said about the current iphone 3g tomorrow. Hopefully they would adress the problems ASAP.

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I don't doubt that it's possible that someone told you this. I do doubt that you have any reason to believe the person. Managers of both ATT & Apple stores don't have access to this information.

3. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

That claim is like a GameStop employee saying a new game console is coming out in a few months. They're called rumors and speculation, and 99.999999% of the time, that's all they are.

Don't be a sucker.

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I would believe a memory bump in a few more months, like MacWorld. But no redesign until well into next year.

5. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

so even though she claimed they're keeping it under wraps, it isnt possible?

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

We didn't get the 16GB iPhone till the first week of February this year. I doubt that Apple will have a bigger capacity iPhone let alone one with bigger and better features in at least six months.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yeah right, if they knew and leaked the info -- they would be fired. (Ooops, AT&T so they were looking for your phone number)

They have the same access to info that you do that far out -- Mac Rumor sites.

And/or speculation ... though most of the rest of us were looking at the timeframe for Apple to release them with the single chip 32GB package appears in Apple's price range.

Right now they are cobbled together multiple stacked chips in the single 32GB package, which seem not to meet Apple's specs for some reason. Could be power consumption, or package size.

8. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Wait they won't upgrade the storage in the next week will they because every year around this time they come out with a few new products and I would hate for them to come out with a bigger iphone the day after I buy mine... just like they did with the ipod touch, god that pissed me off.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

AT&T employees are almost as worthless as BestBuy employees.

10. saxman macrumors 6502

There's really nothing new in what the employee was saying. Eventually the iPhone will get 32GB and anything related to the iPhone is closely under wraps (they had duplicate teams working on the original and plenty of fog and smoke). Plus EVERYTHING that comes out of Apple is "improved" and the greatest thing ever

11. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Well, let's see how good rumors are:

My business account rep for AT&T told me they would be releasing the iPhone 3G in June. That didn't happen.

The same individual and another AT&T rep told me that the iPhone pricing would be $199/$299 only (no early upgrade pricing difference).

The same rep told me that even though there was an early upgrade pricing, he could get the 12 iPhone 3G's I purchased reduced back down to the $199/$299 price.

The same two people and two others in another AT&T store told me that each store would be getting at least 75 iPhone 3G's for launch day.

The reps I was dealing with had the same information and more in the case of my business account rep as any AT&T store manager. Guess what? None of it turned out to be true.

I use the above as an example of how little and how bad the information is that works its way down to the stores, store managers and the average AT&T rep, especially when it comes to the iPhone.

YMMV

ETA: Did you stop and think that the "new and improved" version might be the iPhone 3G but with 2.1? That would be new and improved (we hope).

12. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Oh so true :D

13. slavetonone macrumors newbie

hmmm yeah dont think soo

I figured a 32GB model would be out just in time for Christmas. I am sure that they would have love to have done that last year, and probably have been working to make that happen this year...

Although there is a possibility of a new iphone in the next few months, it is VERY slim that it would be a regular improved iPhone. For one that would really put current customers in a pissy mood, especially after last years price drop etc. But there has been a continued talk of the iPhone Nano so... but I really would not expect that to happen given the track record on how apple releases new products, but you never know...

Just my two cents, not that they amount to the two cents anyway. ;-)

14. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

did your dad tell you that to get you to wait to get an iPhone?

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh Jesus....I thought we were at least another few months away from these threads!

AT&T Told me they will now give you double roll-over minutes.
    :cool:

16. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

No, I completely believe him.

17. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

well anyways.
    i hope there is a 32GB or at least an actual announcement of one by Christmas.
    cause thats when ill most likely be getting one.
    i would settle for the 16GB,
    id just have to shuffle around playlists, and by reading about these "genius playlists", sounds pretty easy.
    :)

18. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

What do you mean a few months? There were threads on this the week of the iPhone 3G launch. Where were you?

19. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

Store employees know basically what we do about new products, software, etc...nothing

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) Play the telephone game and see how reliable information is the farther away it gets from the source. A lot of salespeople like to act like they know more than they actually do. This is why I don't ask many (if any) questions in most electronics stores aside from store policies. If you walk into a store and don't know, say, the difference between a 1080p and 720p television, you deserve to get ripped off for not doing at least a darn Google search before shopping for a circa-$2,000 object.

2) He is probably reading the same rumors that we are about this and that. I would bet there's a 95% chance of a 32GB iPhone being released in the next 9 months. I'm pretty sure the right type of flash is available now, so it's just a waiting game until the price is right.

21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Remember this:

Apparently it leaked to the AT&T Store's. :D

22. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

OH **** !!! Now everyone is going to think there is punch and pie.

23. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

totally believable that the one person from at&t could be a double agent operative that snuck in the apple vault and is the only one person who knows whats up.

maybe everyone else is just out of the loop.

24. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

AT&T employees + Apple employees = bottom of totem pole. By reading MacRumor, you are much more informed than they are.