An interesting thought - heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobsbarricades, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

So.. my optical drive on my MBP is iffy. I have heat problems and an 8600m that doesn't like heat.

solution? take out drive, plug in fan to suck air in through the optical slot (remove the fuzz stuff).

ideas? work? what kind of fan can I get?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you'd just end up with a lot of crap in your machine.

3. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

not if I put a simple 'crap' filter to replace the heavy cloth currently ther.

4. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Eh not so fast... I think the man is onto something. I mean it may be a little ghetto looking but it's better than cooking dinner on your MBP

5. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

cosmetically it would look almost the same, but would help bring cool front air into the fans in the back that are blowing hot air out

6. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Interesting idea, but dont think you are gonna much help here at MacRumors.

7. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

ideas on where to go? Def not apple proper, yea?

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Download CoolBook and undervolt your CPU if you want lower temps...

9. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

ha! I might buy more ram and a new HDD here =/ I might buy a mac mini...

anyway, I need more power not less.

suggestions on MBP mod sites?

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't do anything to your clock speed, so it doesn't change your [processing] "power"

11. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

where can I find out more information about it? What about stability issues? I already have various unknown monsters lurking around

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Google? Honestly I don't really know where to look for info but I'm sure there is some out there.

As long as you don't take the voltage too low you're good, it comes with CPU Test which stress tests your CPU to make sure it's stable at full load. I've gone down pretty far and haven't had any kernel panics; dropped my temps by ~10*C when under load and a noticeable increase in battery life.

13. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

found the program. 10 bucks, and I think I'm gonna stay away. Found a cheap all aluminum dual fan (custom snap on) lifty I may try since just lifting the back/corners just makes it hotter.

thanks!

any other heat mod ideas?

14. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

What are you planning to do to power the fan? What is the size of the fan? Isn't the optical drive enclosed (not much allowance for airflow)?

I feel like you wouldn't get enough of a temperature decrease from that. I would try removing the optical drive and just sitting the fan in there before making and big changes.

What kind of temperatures are you getting?

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

sounds kind of unnecessary and difficult in relation to the results that you will see. not worth it imo.

16. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

yea I negged the idea. =/

still open to case modding!

17. eUnique macrumors member

I 100% support the idea, but if I were going to try it I would buy some crazy parts that normally would get too hot and make a custom.

18. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

i think, if I get this cooler - http://amzn.to/phKjsd I could cut a hole on the bottom side of my macbook pro (don't know about it because of the absurd task of taking out all the guts on this thing) where I took out the optical. Help air actually get in the case easier before it gets shot out the back.

Any ideas on how to maybe just make holes without having to gut the insides? something that isn't a dremel and won't make metal filings. I could tap holes...but then I'd have to sand down the outside. Tap holes and then use cutters? OR TAP HOLES FROM THE BOTTOM UP! hard to apply a good dirt filter that way though.

19. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Why don't you try taking out the optical drive and see how the temperature changes? The extra space in there might bring down the temperature by making it easier for air to circulate from the normal fans.

20. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

guess i could try that first =)

21. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

quick last question. If I take out the optical what should I cover the cables with? in case I want to put another HDD there/replace it in the future.

22. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

It's $10....even if it didn't work(which it does), it's only $10. It's worth it just to have the option of seeing your clock speed in the menu bar.

Again, it undervolts your CPU, it doesn't underclock it. There will be zero performance change. (well, I guess you might see an increase on the off chance your CPU was lowering it's clock because of high temps. But regardless, there would not be a decrease in performance.)

You're going to spend a lot more than $10 on whatever you plan on doing, and I can almost ensure it won't be as effective as CoolBook. And if you're installing somekind of internal fan, you'll get less battery life, contrasted by the increase you would get with CoolBook. You're going to hack up your case before trying software that will get you better results?

It seems like you're less interested in getting lower temps, and more into modding your laptop. Which is fine, it's yours to do whatever you want with, but just something to think about.

23. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

well I have to open up my laptop to put in a new hard drive so I'm gonna take out the optical drive because the cd bit doesn't work, and the dvd bit's just unreliable. So we'll see.

I DO want to try it out, I just get such a glitchy OS X whenever I start messing with things.

24. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm lucky, I've done all kinds of "terminal hacks/tweaks" and run a bunch of "tweak apps" (better touch tool, total finder, hyperdock, coolbook[and I'm running very low voltages], probably more but those are what I can think of; all of which I use the beta/alpha if available), download 10.6.X updates as soon as they're seeded to devs, use beta/alpha versions of apps if available, blah blah. And everything just works, I can honestly say I've never had an issue that was "worse" than say Chrome Canary not closing properly and needed to force quit; no kernel panics or anything. I shut it down each night, and when it's sleeping during the day just open the lid and everything instantly works. I really couldn't be happier with my MacBook.