An Open Letter to Steve Jobs, et al. at Apple Computer, Inc.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
6,570
49
Langley, Washington
Having heard all the rumors about switching to the x86 Platform from the PPC platform, We, The Users of Mac OS Equipped Systems do hereby declare that if such a switch does occur, We will not be joining. We will develop our own systems using the original philosophy of Apple. Intel is not and cannot be a friend to Apple. They will destroy Apple as they have Be before them. x86 is part of the reason for Windows instability, as well as horrid up times of x86 Systems. You do this, across the board, and you will loose whatever current market-share (read: Yearly Sales) you currently hold.

Just a Word of Warning Mr. Jobs, and everyone at Apple. Switch to Intel and see an empty building in Cupertino in less than 5 years.

------
TEG

==================
I do not know who (or how) someone posted the above tripe under my account, but have taken steps to prevent it (including a new password). I will leave it here because I agree with one statement in it... That is: x86 is a horrible processor architecture, hopefully Apple will just switch everything to IA-64, so Intel has somewhere to finally sell their Itainium-2 Chips.
Also, it is IBM's fault this is happening, they made grandiose promises to Steve, who then made those same promises to us. IBM never delivered, and Steve looked like a lying ****** (read: Bill Gates). Therefore, although I wish this didn't have to happen, it only figures that it would.

TEG (The Real TEG)
 

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
3,023
1
San Luis Obispo, CA
I disagree with the letter. A move to Intel/AMD would kick butt, as their chips seem to kick butt.

Windows Instability has nothing to do with Intel or AMD. It has to do with the 1000s of companies making different types of hardware/software, and the viruses/trojans that are implemented on PCs.

I am "pro" intel.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
TEG said:
Having heard all the rumors about switching to the x86 Platform from the PPC platform, We, The Users of Mac OS Equipped Systems do hereby declare that if such a switch does occur, We will not be joining. We will develop our own systems using the original philosophy of Apple. Intel is not and cannot be a friend to Apple. They will destroy Apple as they have Be before them. x86 is part of the reason for Windows instability, as well as horrid up times of x86 Systems. You do this, across the board, and you will loose whatever current market-share (read: Yearly Sales) you currently hold.

Just a Word of Warning Mr. Jobs, and everyone at Apple. Switch to Intel and see an empty building in Cupertino in less than 5 years.

------
TEG
You are wrong, why shouldnt Mac Users have the best Software on the best Hardware? Im tired of slow stagnated PPC that never keeps up with PC's. Its Piss Pot Poor that Apple has to use 2 CPUs to the othersides one. As a long time Mac user i would Love a AMD Mac! Make it so Jobs! :)
 

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
867
0
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Time will tell.

Predict all you want but nobody can forsee what will happen to Apple if they make the switch. OSX or Longhorn? Your choice, it'd be wiser to see whats on the table first before making a knee-jerk decision.
 

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
2,111
0
Fort Myers, FL
Blame Hollywood

It's about the Pentium D - released just few days ago, the dual-core chips include a hardware copy protection scheme that prevents "unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard. This will allow Apple to cozy up to Hollywood and fire up an iFlicks Hi-Def movie store. From Wired Magazine's website...
 

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
2,473
0
All up in your bidness
Cooknn said:
It's about the Pentium D - released just few days ago, the dual-core chips include a hardware copy protection scheme that prevents "unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard. This will allow Apple to cozy up to Hollywood and fire up an iFlicks Hi-Def movie store. From Wired Magazine's website...
No... the Illuminati are ordering the switch. It's a secret underground Jew conspiracy.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
MSNBC is saying this will happen :D :D :) Its about freakin time we had a real CPU instead of slow and stagnated G4s/G5s. This could be the best news yet! Imagine running the best OS on the fastest hardware. Fantastic!
 

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
1,205
0
Medford
Cooknn said:
It's about the Pentium D - released just few days ago, the dual-core chips include a hardware copy protection scheme that prevents "unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard. This will allow Apple to cozy up to Hollywood and fire up an iFlicks Hi-Def movie store. From Wired Magazine's website...
God, does nobody read Slashdot...

The chips do NOT have integrated DRM. Intel says they don't. It's on Slashdot. Read it. Please.

oh, btw, I'm jewish too :D :D
 

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
2,111
0
Fort Myers, FL
zach said:
God, does nobody read Slashdot...

The chips do NOT have integrated DRM. Intel says they don't. It's on Slashdot. Read it. Please.
I guess it's a common misconception then, because initially /. and The Inquirer reported that Digital Rights Management was embedded on the chip. I see where Intel claimed that was not the case as well. Whether it's embedded or it just supports DRM, if Hollywood demands it for VOD delivery then I would bet this is Steve's gamble at living room domination. Funny how IBM and Microsoft will be working together and now Apple and Intel. Trip :rolleyes:
 

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
782
1
Indianapolis, IN
Capt Underpants said:
Apple will surely cancel all plans for a processor switch because of an online petition :rolleyes:
Well, normally, no.. but with all the grammar and spelling errors, their minds will be numbed enough for it to take hold.
 

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
294
0
Minneapolis
zach said:
God, does nobody read Slashdot...

The chips do NOT have integrated DRM. Intel says they don't. It's on Slashdot. Read it. Please.

oh, btw, I'm jewish too :D :D

im atheist.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
xy14 said:
im atheist.
Well I'm all for bringing back human sacrifice to keep Apple from switching to x86, and I'd be willing to vote lawyers and car salesman right up to the front of the line.
Of course this isn't quite what is expected in an open letter to Apple.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
G5Zealot said:
xy14 said:
im atheist.
I'm an agnostic-atheist, transhumanist, and an objectivist. Human sacrifices have nothing to do with atheism.
:rolleyes:
And atheism has nothing to do with getting Apple to keep the PowerPC, or keeping your post on topic. :rolleyes:

But, willingly sacrificing some lawyers to avoid the dreaded x86 might. ;)

Damn off-topic monkeys invading another useless petition thread. :(
 

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
2,765
25
On the moon.
Dont Hurt Me said:
You are wrong, why shouldnt Mac Users have the best Software on the best Hardware? Im tired of slow stagnated PPC that never keeps up with PC's. Its Piss Pot Poor that Apple has to use 2 CPUs to the othersides one. As a long time Mac user i would Love a AMD Mac! Make it so Jobs! :)
I'm with him.

Or make it to where I can run it on my AMD Athlon, and its all good baby. :p