An Open Letter to Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToneMonkey, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToneMonkey macrumors member

Steve-

I don’t know you personally. If I did, I’d probably have your email addy, which would allow me to address these issues privately. But I don’t. So apologies in advance for the “tough love” I’m about to deliver.

Dude, everyone admires your passion, vision, out-of-the-box thinking, and up until now, you’re uncompromising drive and commitment to not unleash steaming piles of cr@p on an unsuspecting public. You seem to really get that people want stuff that works. That is, up until now. I am speaking about the iPhone 3G.

Steve, buddy, pal… I need exactly three things from a mobile telephone in order for my life to work:
    1. I need a mobile handset that will reliably make and complete telephone calls.
    2. I need my calendar.
    3. I need my contacts.

Everything else (yes, even email and web browsing) is optional and completely irrelevant unless you get those first three things right.

I use a Mac at home and a PC at work. I know that isn’t your fault, but it’s reality for most of us that don’t work at Apple. My wife needs to be able to add appointments and contacts on my home Mac; I need those updated appointments and contacts in my phone. I just freakin’ do. You do sort of OK in this regard as long as I only use Apple products.

I need to be able to add appointments and contacts on my work PC; I need those updated appointments and contacts in my phone. I just freakin’ do. You completely fail at this, regardless of which products I use.

My guess is that (conservatively) there must be oh, 10 million or so people in the same predicament I am – I love my Mac, but the headaches involved in keeping my work life and personal life in sync rob a lot of the enjoyment I get using my Mac. My life has become unmaginable. How come my 1995 Kyocera SmartPhone could pull this off and your 2008 iPhone cannot?

Steve, I love ya like a brother, but what really fries my grits is that I get the feeling no one at Apple is even paying attention. Have you hired a bunch of lame Microsoft expatriates to engineer this stuff? It sure seems you like you must have. Oh yeah, I know the bullets keep getting added to the product data sheet but STUFF DON’T WORK! STUFF’S BROKEN STEVE. HELLO, ANYONE HOME?

What happened? I used to believe you cared about getting it right. What happened? What happened? What happened?

Please feel free to email me about this. We can talk more off line. Maybe you need some people with actual real-world experience on this project team. I think it would help. Let’s talk. My rates are very reasonable.

Warmest Regards,
    Mike "ToneMonkey"

2. poolish macrumors regular

3. sel1965 macrumors member

Here we go again, bla bla bla what a wasted thread.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Dear Tone Monkey,

I tore up your letter as soon as you called me Dude.

Sincerely,

Steve Jobs

P.S. Probably not a smart idea to post your e-mail address in a internet forum post.

6. iNfowarrior macrumors member

No amount of software is going to improve the management of your life. If you don't have that in hand already, Steve Jobbs can't help you.

7. johnrs macrumors 6502a

LOL...

That has to be wiredest thing I have ready in ages.. Please say your having a laugh and that really did not get sent..

You dont know him personally and yet you love him like a brother..

My iphone work just great.. Looks like you better sell your iPhone and got back to your 1995 Kyocera SmartPhone

10 million or so people in the same predicament I am. Err make that 9,999,999million

Its not an iPhone 3g you need, I think its a shrink... :eek:

8. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Hahahah - you're rates?

This is what and how Apple will make this phone. That's it. All you have to do is, not buy it.

9. ToneMonkey thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, what was I thinking?

Yes, of course, you are right, the Emperor does indeed look spendid in his new clothes. Please pass the kool-aid.

10. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

Take directly from the apple.com website. You were so concerned you had to write a letter yet you didnt spend i duno, 30 seconds (depending on internet speed) on apple's website looking it up, before you make yourself look like a fool? ANYWAY....."You might have a Mac at home, a PC at work, and an iPhone or iPod touch. How do you keep them all in sync? With MobileMe, your email, contacts, and calendar stay the same wherever you check them, no matter what device you use."-apple.com

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Dear Steve,

Not everyone out there is as simple as the OP and thus we have more complex needs and desires for our portable devices. Keep up the good work!

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Dear Steve Jobs,

I can't believe that since we are all forced to buy an iPhone, that you wouldn't make it exactly how I wanted.

If you made it just a discretionary purchase, like say, a PS3 or a Mustang convertible, then maybe I wouldn't have an issue with your product.

But, since we are all mandated by law to purchase one, I really need to protest your heavy handed tactics.

Best,

WindowsMobilelover

14. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Dear Steve,

Is that the same black shirt you wear every time I see you? Or do you have a collection of the same?

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Dear Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe,

It is all your fault that I don't have a car that gets 150 mpg. I need this yet you don't make it. You obviously hate your customers. I bet there are at least 200 million other people like me who have the same needs yet you continuously deny this to us.

I love my Camry, but the headaches involved in keeping my gas tank full rob a lot of the enjoyment I get using my Camry. My life has become unmaginable.

Katsuaki (can I call you Kats?), I love ya like a brother, but what really fries my grits is that I get the feeling no one at Toyota is even paying attention. Have you hired a bunch of lame GM expatriates to engineer this stuff? It sure seems you like you must have. Oh yeah, I know the bullets keep getting added to the product data sheet but I ONLY GET 25 MPG. HELLO, ANYONE HOME?

Sincerely,
    dudesprivateemail@ontheinternet.wtf

16. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Tone Monkey, as a business person myself I understand your needs. There is a great solution to your problem and that is Mobile Me. I use it to juggle my 1000 customers and it is working great for me so far. Give it a chance and see what you think. It will sync your email, contacts, and calendar wirelessly thus keeping you in the loop at all times.

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

sjobs@apple.com - not too hard to figure out. :)

18. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I recently sent a letter to Steve Jobs regarding the iPhone and Wall-E, he hasn't replied (yet, hopefully) but I would interested in what you think.

Dear Mr. Jobs,

A few days ago I saw Wall-E, of course created by the company that you co-founded, Pixar Animation Studios. I thought it was absolutely brilliant in all aspects. But it did have one adverse affect on me, it has made me second guess my decision to buy an iPhone 3G. The reason for this is that although I know Wall-E is meant to be a love story it also made me realize the grim picture that Wall-E showed; Planet Earth covered in garbage and I'd hate to be a part of that. So this is why I am asking if I should buy an iPhone or not, basically I am asking that if I buy an iPhone am I contributing to the mess that Planet Earth is becoming or will the benefits of the iPhone help me make the world a better place.

Regardless of the answer I still think that the iPhone is an incredible device; its just that this question just seemed to jump out at me while watching Wall-E, and because you have both influence on the Pixar side and on the Apple side I thought you would be a good one to ask.

Sincerely,

snverhallen

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Dude, MobileMe was created for people JUST LIKE YOU and in your situation.

I really don't see what's not working out? Your Wife can add / make calender changes at home, then your iPhone gets synced what she did instantly. Then you can make changes, and she can see that within 15 minutes. You can make changes on the PC at work and then it will show up to her and your phone wireless. Same goes with contacts.

For $99 a year. This is worth it.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And if you're unwilling to pay the Price MobileMe is asking, there's an even cheaper calendar sync solution: SpanningSync for $25 a year. between than and Google Calendar, you're set.

Okay, okay, maybe you get butthurt at paying even $25 a year. Would free sound better to you?

And okay, maybe you're incredibly picky, and want your calendar on your PC, and not just on Google calendar. No problem, there's a sync for that too.

The point is, the solutions for this already exist. There has actually been quite a long history of people wishing certain things could work certain ways with Apple products, and third party developers filling the gap. The system works quite well, most of the time.

No drama.
    No weak open letters.
    It just works.

And I challenge you to find a Blackberry, Palm, or WM device who will simultaneously sync calendars on a Mac and a PC without any third party solutions. go on, show me.

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I'm pretty sure he didn't co-found Pixar. He bought it off George Lucas.

22. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

So the cell phone you currently use is biodegradable? :rolleyes:

23. ToneMonkey thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha... good one...

I'll assume the irony was unintentional and just enjoy it.

So how large is your personal comic book collection? Does mom still do your laundry?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.