Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a note to clients released this morning, Piper Jaffray research analyst Gene Munster estimated that Apple will sell approximately 5 million copies of OS X Snow Leopard during the remainder of this quarter. Apple announced earlier this morning that the new version of the company's operating system will go on sale this Friday, August 28th.

Munster calculates an average selling price for Snow Leopard of $22, considering the product mix of Leopard upgrades ($29) and "Up-to-Date" purchases for those who have purchased a new Mac since June 8th ($9.95), yielding approximately $110 million in gross revenue for the quarter and about $66 million in net profit based on an estimated 60% profit margin. That result would add approximately $0.05 per share to Apple's earnings for the quarter, although Munster believes that that contribution is already factored into analyst's estimates for the quarter, as pricing and the estimated release date have been known for some time now.

Munster also sees OS X Snow Leopard as relatively minor upgrade, but one which that will allow Apple to position it as a value-priced upgrade for existing users and cutting-edge technology for new users against the "antiquated technology" of Windows users stuck on XP and Vista who are beginning to think about the upgrade path for Windows 7.

Apple sold two million copies of Mac OS X Leopard during its launch weekend in October 2007.

Article Link: Analyst: Apple Likely to Sell 5 Million Copies of Snow Leopard This Quarter

Paradigm

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
This quarter? I think this person meant to say this weekend! My copy is on order.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Varying degrees of utility on that "cutting-edge technology" found in Snow Leopard.

Just like in Leopard, just like in Tiger...

In before developers charging for new licenses for Snow Leopard compatible versions of their software. Don't dive in first.

Comment

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Understandable... what Mac owner that knows about it wouldn't pay 29 dollars for it?
I've never been one to upgrade to the newset OS really quick (Didn't install Leopard on any of my systems until about 9 months ago) but for $30 I went ahead and ordered my copy. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who wouldn't bother, but the price is right.

Comment

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Steve Jobs does it again...

That is why they priced it where they did.

With that price, yeah more than likely Apple is going sell a whole lot of copies of Snow Leopard. The boys at Microsoft and their "special pricing" of Windows 7 doesn't apple to everybody. It's more than likely that Win 7 is going to flop!

Microsoft court-ordered to stop selling Office!!? Now what will they do. *snickers*:D:apple:

Comment

Fatdog

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2003
Texas
I've never been one to upgrade to the newset OS really quick (Didn't install Leopard on any of my systems until about 9 months ago) but for $30 I went ahead and ordered my copy. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who wouldn't bother, but the price is right.

9 months ago? There is a difference between a "really quick" and glacial pace. :cool:

Comment

entropy1980

macrumors regular
May 14, 2003
Canyon Country, CA
I also can see this driving some hardware sales as PPC users may finally be pushed to upgrade to Intel as more software will be released likely to be Intel only.

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It's more than likely that Win 7 is going to flop!

Dream on. Already more people have been using the Windows 7 betas and release candidates than Apple has sold Macs that are compatible with Snow Leopard. Microsoft has had more beta testers for Windows 7 than Apple is going to have paying customers for Snow Leopard...

Anyway. I'm placing my order for Snow Leopard now.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Dream on. Already more people have been using the Windows 7 betas and release candidates than Apple has sold Macs that are compatible with Snow Leopard. Microsoft has had more beta testers for Windows 7 than Apple is going to have paying customers for Snow Leopard...

A free for all Beta and RC tends to do that.

I'm waiting for hardware to complement the software. Snow Leopard in 2010 or 2011 here.

Comment

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
With that price, yeah more than likely Apple is going sell a whole lot of copies of Snow Leopard. The boys at Microsoft and their "special pricing" of Windows 7 doesn't apple to everybody. It's more than likely that Win 7 is going to flop!

Microsoft court-ordered to stop selling Office!!? Now what will they do. *snickers*:D:apple:
And I assume you know that Apple's "special price" of $29 doesn't apply to everybody, too, right? If you're a Tiger user, expect to spend $169 on the Mac Box Set, or $1,000+ on a new Apple computer.

Also, Windows 7 will not be a flop. Neither will Snow Leopard. Both are great operating systems and will be very successful.

Also, the court order applied to just Word, not Office. And even then, there will likely be some kind of loophole found that will get Microsoft out of the situation. (Or they'll just pay off the company that claimed patent infringement.)

"...antiquated technology of Windows..."

he took the words right out of my mouth!
I'd love to see evidence of the "antiquated technology" that exists in Windows.

People who honestly say that don't understand anything about operating systems.

Comment

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
... yielding approximately $110 million in gross revenue for the quarter and about $66 million in net profit based on an estimated 60% profit margin.

That "net profit" presumes that the retailers get 0% profit and just sell the item at cost (and host it on their own inventory). Something somewhat lower would be more accurate. There is a "suggest retail price" and then there is a the real price they distribute the OS at.

[ As far as they will sell more copies than any other store, still have a factor of the even their stores' overhead. ]

Still they are likely to make money. Can't wait for the twilight zone folks to show up to claim this sales of 5 million copies is actually going to HURT Apple's margins because SL costs much more than that and that the end of quarter report in October/November is going to reflect a downturn.

Comment

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
move to page 2 please. snow leopard is boring and an analyst's projection of snow leopard's sales is even more boring. not all of us have stock, literally, in apple's financials.

Comment

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This analyst is an idiot. I would take what he says with a grain of salt. Last week, he put out a statement that Apple was entering the TV business. Munster is rarely right about anything.

Many of his so-called predictions are regurgitations of the rumor mill or just basic common knowledge.

For example, Munster predicts there will be new iPods in September. (OMG! REALLY!??!?! NO WAY!)

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/08/gene_munster_ne.html

Comment

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Only 5 million copies? I think that is HIGHLY underestimated number. I mean, technically, when I buy the family pack, I'm buying 5 copies.......so if they look at number of licences (which I presume is the case), people like me count as 5 copies sold.

Comment

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
:

If Apple sells 4 million copies of SL in first month it is an outrageous success.

If Microsoft sells 4 million copies of Windows 7 in first month it will be labeled a "flop" or "tepid" or "lackluster". [ The copies just bundled with new machines will practically assure they will hit that mark once the Windows 7 images are distributed to the PC system vendors and put into the production lines. ]

Microsoft is certainly not going to sell Windows 7 to 10% of its installed base in the matter of one month. It is much more feasible that Apple could though although that seems a tad aggressive. Post Christmas yeah. 10.6.1 should be out.... only those who want hiccups are going to dive into a x.y.0 version.

Some of this is just mismatched expectations.

Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Although I agree that Apple will sell a monstrous amount of SL this quarter, I'm going to take this analysis by Munster with a grain of salt, just like "Munster has seen the future of TV and it has an Apple logo on it"-"analysis"... :rolleyes:

Comment

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow

lets remember that apple have what 10% of the market at most, of course more will have windows, ten times more!!!!!!
but every person I know running windows has some problem with it!!!!!
so glad to be one of the 10%:cool::cool:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.