Analyst Claims 5G iPhones Will Have Staggered Rollout Between September 2020 and January 2021

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, in a research note with TF International Securities, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he expects four high-end iPhones with 5G support to launch in the second half of 2020, including both sub-6GHz and sub-6GHz-and-mmWave models.

Kuo said iPhone models with mmWave would be available in five markets, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, adding that Apple may disable 5G functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.

Based on checks within Apple's supply chain, however, Susquehanna analyst Mehdi Hosseini disagrees with Kuo's timeframe. Instead, he expects 5G-enabled iPhones to launch in two phases, including sub-6GHz models in September 2020 and mmWave models in December 2020 or January 2021.

The allegedly delayed launch of mmWave models stems from Apple's decision to use its own antenna-in-package modules instead of relying on a third-party supplier, said Hosseini, according to StreetInsider.

mmWave is the fastest 5G, utilizing new spectrum to provide theoretical download speeds of over 1 Gbps. Sub-6GHz is slower than mmWave, but it is still faster than 4G LTE and has broader coverage that makes it more suitable for rural areas.

Hosseini also expects one of the 5G-enabled iPhones to have an LCD, whereas Kuo said all four models would ship with OLED displays. One 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model are expected.

Kuo has a more established track record than Hosseini, so Apple's exact roadmap remains to be seen.

Article Link: Analyst Claims 5G iPhones Will Have Staggered Rollout Between September 2020 and January 2021

Last edited:

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
I'll buy one when there's no other choice.

Meanwhile waiting for a 600 € iPhone with OLED.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It makes sense that the 5G models would have the less power-consuming LED screens and the 4G models would use the more power-hungry OLED screens.

johnyslats

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Leeds, UK
So what does Apple do? Offer sub-6Ghz models in those regions until the mmwave model becomes available? No way US, UK etc miss launch until a couple of months later

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
oh that's going to be an awkward sell. "Today we unveil 2 new iPhones. One that has fake slow 5G and another model that has fast 5G if you're in line of sight of the transmitter."

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Why so many different screen sizes? Just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.
It’s not so many different screen sizes, this will be the third year in a row that there are three different sizes.

But Apple is tweaking the sizes a bit this year. Some people want smaller iPhones, so the 5.8” is being slightly reduced to 5.4”. Physically, it will be even smaller than iPhone 6/7/8.

And because big is never big enough those who like phablet-sized iPhones, the 6.5” is being enlarged a bit to 6.7”.

Apple does a ton of market research, and they believe these small adjustments to the smallest and largest size iPhones will be more satisfying to customers than the current sizes. That’s the exact opposite of “just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks” 🙄

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
who cares about 5G in 2020, i dont.

notch? no buy.
A lot of people keep their phones for 3-5 years nowadays, and they want to future proof. If you want an iPhone without a notch, you might want to take a look at the soon to be released “SE2”. It’ll be about $400.
- - Post merged: - -

Only 10+ million people.
More like 100+ million, but yeah :)

konqerror

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2013
It makes sense that the 5G models would have the less power-consuming LED screens and the 4G models would use the more power-hungry OLED screens.
No it doesn't. That pairs the high-end wireless option with a low-end screen and vice versa. You put an expensive option with a compromised option to worst of both worlds. You're satisfying an engineering constraint to make a product nobody wants.

Reactions: jhfenton and ijbond

macgician

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Pushed to the edge where you just want to see some "Qualcomm" modem in a new iPhone! Crap!

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Makes sense from a timing perspective.

Apple's integration of Qualcomm was delayed. Intel didn't have an antenna package ready, so Apple was already developing their own. Qualcomm CEO has already said publicly he doesn't expect Apple to use Qualcomm's front end RF.

Last edited:

Dennison

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
United States
People that continue to bemoan the notch give me a good laugh. It remains the most functionally clever way to handle the sensors and front-facing speaker/mic necessary for phone calls and Face ID. It’s also the best way to identify “Oh, that’s an Apple iPhone” from the front, making it distinctive. I’ve found it also makes understanding which way is up easier and points to where to swipe up to get in.

Apple will only redesign the front display panel, or the notch cutout design until they can meaningfully tweak what’s going on up there. It wouldn’t surprise me if the front looks largely the same, for say another 7 years, as the last style of home-button shaped screens lasted 10 years.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
No it doesn't. That pairs the high-end wireless option with a low-end screen and vice versa. You put an expensive option with a compromised option to worst of both worlds. You're satisfying an engineering constraint to make a product nobody wants.
Erm, have you seen the Apple lineup?

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
mmWave is really pretty useless unless you live in a dense metro area like NYC/Chicago/LA. It will be far more relevant in 5 years.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
People that continue to bemoan the notch give me a good laugh. It remains the most functionally clever way to handle the sensors and front-facing speaker/mic necessary for phone calls and Face ID. It’s also the best way to identify “Oh, that’s an Apple iPhone” from the front, making it distinctive. I’ve found it also makes understanding which way is up easier and points to where to swipe up to get in.

Apple will only redesign the front display panel, or the notch cutout design until they can meaningfully tweak what’s going on up there. It wouldn’t surprise me if the front looks largely the same, for say another 7 years, as the last style of home-button shaped screens lasted 10 years.
Perspective:

Take into consideration, tech sites (As in Some very disgruntled/pedantic members) purposely vent about the notch becausenNo one else will listen to them/no one else cares about the notch. That’s the reality, is the notch has no relevant discussion in the outside world from a tech site. It always was a non-issue, and of any iPhone user(s) I’ve ever come across, no one even actually knows what to refer to the notch as. It is and always will be...a non issue.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
It doesn’t make sense but whatever. Before you know it, Spring will be here and a few short month after will be September.