Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Why would they launch these in Sept? This is something they will save for Jan.

Has someone forgotten there IS NO january show anymore? At least as far as Apple is concerned.

The whole reason they dropped out of Macworld is they don't want to be bound to a specific date when they can release something big.

September might be the big month, I WISH. But more likely, announced sept., released 2010.

I would love a tablet, somewhere around 10 inches?

But if it's going to be just an enlarged iphone, then it won't be like a Wacom. I hope it will be, but I doubt it.

I came very close to buying to a Modbook, but it was too big, heavy, and pricey.

An Apple solution would be something I'd get in a second. Oh wait.. then Jobs is gonna make them all 4GB and brag how slim it is and make it nearly worthless. :(

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Okay, so my original post was deleted, interesting. Maybe it was too dirty minded or got to much attentiona as the posts quoting me were also deleted. whatevs. I shall be more specific next time.

I would want at least a 10 inch screen if I was to buy one. That would be a perfect size to take notes in class with granted you can use a stylus.

a lecture theatre of laptops looks odd, kids with a4 pads look more natural.

I have to agree, and it would be more natural to write notes on a screen if you wanted digital notes. The special pens and paper that can record your letters doesn't cut it for me with the auto-convert-handwritten-to-text feature. Its either old fashioned paper and pen or laptop keyboard.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Has someone forgotten there IS NO january show anymore? At least as far as Apple is concerned.

They might make an exception for CES, bringing Apple into the general Consumer consciousness. We already know for sure that Steve has been invited to keynote. You think it's a coincidence Macworld moved to February?

Apple should know better than to turn its back on its community (Mac users, Final Cut users, etc). Dropping the 'community' shows like NAB and Macworld, certainly seems to mark the time when Apple turned 'evil' and faceless like Microsoft.

As a PR exercise, Apple can hold their own keynotes and get 100% of the attention, but trade shows are much more than that, they build up the ecosystem around a brand. These days, Apple appears to have forgotten its roots and prefers to preach from on high and hand the stone tablets (pun intended) out to the mortals. Press release, demo, spot on the nightly news - job done. There's a difference between customers and going the extra mile to ensure they become loyal-customers, and Apple doesn't appear to think they need to any more… Microsoft in the making.

As I said previously, Steve would embrace a trade show again (quicker than you can say MacBooks really DO need FireWire, after all), if it meant he could dominate CES (the Consumer show) and lead Apple into the mainstream promised land. The real 'iPod of Books' (not the Kindle) would be the kind of device that might achieve that. Maybe Steve really wants to be on Oprah…

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
I just don't think you can tell me that's a bad device.

The hardware looks functional, but its the OS that really makes the difference between a tool and a paperweight

On the surface, most smartphones look pretty much the same - but its the ease of use that makes the iphone so loveable.

The video didn't really show the os in action, how many multi touch inputs can it accept?

We have, 10 fingers - i hope the iPad can handle that many - the possibilities are just mindblowing!
The iphone can handle at least 5 seperate inputs simultaneously

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
I have to agree, and it would be more natural to write notes on a screen if you wanted digital notes. The special pens and paper that can record your letters doesn't cut it for me with the auto-convert-handwritten-to-text feature. Its either old fashioned paper and pen or laptop keyboard.

i know what you mean - my palm tungsten had letters-to-text, but it didn't work well enough to use it properly

I would imagine on the ipad you would be able to write on virtual paper with or without conversion to text so yopu could doodle and put diagrams in.

The more you think about it the more complex it gets - no wonder the software is taking so long!

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Well this is a fine kettle of fish as they say. Two or maybe one? If it is a fatter/larger ipod touch then that may be just what it takes to do an upgrade for me at least. The tablet with a 10 inch screen is going to please no one in my opinion. There will be those complaining that it has to have full Snow Leopard on it for an OS and be able to run all Mac programs which I doubt is possible, there will be those who say why not just get a 13 inch Mac for about the same price and so on. With a tablet there is just no pleasing everybody.
A better Ipod Touch with a bigger screen would be a safer move on Apples part I think and it retains pocketability which is a major factor. If it comes down to a bigger Touch for the September presentation then I think that will get my money rather than waiting for a 10 inch tablet that is too close to my 13 inch laptop to justify the cost. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind if something spectacular comes out in January at say the CES show. :)

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
The hardware looks functional, but its the OS that really makes the difference between a tool and a paperweight

On the surface, most smartphones look pretty much the same - but its the ease of use that makes the iphone so loveable.

The video didn't really show the os in action, how many multi touch inputs can it accept?

We have, 10 fingers - i hope the iPad can handle that many - the possibilities are just mindblowing!
The iphone can handle at least 5 seperate inputs simultaneously

I'm trying to think of a situation where one would need to put all 10 fingers on a tablet at the same time. Or five inputs on the iphone.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Really looking forward to the announcement now.

I have a question though - can anyone clarify whether the analyst making the claims was just a vanilla tech analyst or was he an analyst-therapist, aka analrapist? Thanks :)

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I'm trying to think of a situation where one would need to put all 10 fingers on a tablet at the same time. Or five inputs on the iphone.

Probably not needed for an iPhone-sized screen or a 6" tablet screen. But, somewhere around 10" and above, detecting 10 fingers at the same time might make sense.

A standard business envelope 9 3/4" x 4 3/8" has enough area for a 10" diagonal screen. This can contain a QWERTY kb. or more than 1 octave of a piano kb, or 10 equalizer sliders.

When you get in the 17" range a touch screen (not necessarily a tablet) starts to assume the capabilities of the Big-Ass table. Lying flat it could be used for multiplayer games, painting, finger-painting, drawing, tracing, light table, serious musical keyboards/fretboards...

At some point, Apple needs to bring its MultiTouch lead (and patents) to larger screens. As the screens get larger, the need for detection of multiple touches will increase to 10, 20 or more.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
This is part of the "Touchification" of the entire line:

• The nano will be replaced by a 4mb Touch for $149
  • The classic will be replaced by a 120GB Touch for $299
  • The resurrected Video will return as the 6" Touch for $399
  • The 10" screen will be used for an enhanced Touch-style OS focused on the education market with multiple-threads, draggable windows, and handwriting recognition

I like the sound of that except I think you meant 4GB Touch. Though I suspect they might offer 8GB (matching the current Nano) at that price point.

Which, if any, do you see having cell radio for data? For voice?

The 6" could be a precursor for the same size [display] iPhone (approx 3x5" form factor).

I hope the 10" would have all the hardware features of the 3GS iPhone, but more creative carrier plans:

1) unlimited data + PayGo (or fixed) voice & mms
2) unlimited voice, data + PayGo (or fixed) mms
3) multiple carrier support
4) whatever else makes sense

I could see them announcing everything except the 10" an the Sep 7 event (supposedly music / iPod related). Then, say October, announce the 10" for availability by Nov 27 (the day after Thanksgiving). Who says the "one more thing" has to be at the same meeting?

Game, Set & Match!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.