Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
ASP rumination

How is that ASP calculated? Does the higher selling price mean people upgraded memory and hard drives, or bought accessories or AppleCare at the same time?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If this is true, it's down to Microsoft's Vista marketing, which is hilarious when you think about it. Microsoft have spent a fortune advertising Vista, so much that every newspaper and TV news programme has covered it, all mentioning at some point that "Vista is playing catchup with Apple's Mac OSX".

So consumers have been bombarded by talk of Macs and their superiority, and Microsoft have footed the bill. Brilliant :D

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Does anyone remember what the Mac sales in January last year in that Year over Year. I just know this was in the midst of the Intel transition, so sales weren't where they would have been otherwise (though I think the year over year was still positive).

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
and those nice revenue from mac purchase, will mostly go right into the R&D for iphone, ipod, :apple: TV, etc etc... there aren't gonna be much left for mac R&D:mad: :(
What are you smoking? Apple is spending lots of cash on Macintosh and Mac OS X R&D. Don't worry...

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Does anyone remember what the Mac sales in January last year in that Year over Year. I just know this was in the midst of the Intel transition, so sales weren't where they would have been otherwise (though I think the year over year was still positive).

The sales figures are never quoted per month, only quarterly. There was a dip from 1.25m in Q4 2005 to 1.1m in Q1 2006 - http://www.systemshootouts.org/mac_sales.html

In five of the previous seven years there was a dip in sales in Q1 compared to the previous Q4 and only a small rise the other two years. So if there is a large jump in sales this quarter, it goes against the normal pattern. A 100% increase, if it occurs throughout the quarter, would mean 2.2m sales this quarter.

Nice as that sounds, I'm one of the skeptics.

Edit: the next financial reports, which always includes the real sales figures, will be mid-April.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
I'm curious what their overall marketshare is. Further, what is the tipping point where EVERYone starts buying macs?

-p-

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm curious what their overall marketshare is. Further, what is the tipping point where EVERYone starts buying macs?

-p-
That tipping point will never come, but it's not really about everyone using Macs. If enough people buy Macs (~10% I think), the Web and all sorts of software will very quickly start to go open standards rather than using Microsoft proprietary technologies that only work in Windows. Finally it won't matter which OS you use, you'll have real choice. Microsoft aren't going to disappear but they'll actually have to start working to keep their customers as Apple have to now, and Linux will become a real possibility for businesses.

If you think what happened to Intel when AMD came along, there was this sudden rush of advancement, which AMD then rushed to match and surpass. Imagine if that happens in software too.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I'm a statistic

Probably a lot of people like me, who were waiting for MW'07 to see if new machines would be released. There weren't any so I went ahead and bought the MBP that I'd been eying for a while now.

Cult Follower

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
North Dakota
This is really great for Apple, but it is kinda sad that our once exclusive group is moving to the mainstream. Macs are losing their uniqueness.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland

J Radical

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
This is really great for Apple, but it is kinda sad that our once exclusive group is moving to the mainstream. Macs are losing their uniqueness.

I hate that.

I've always admired Apple's cult status, and am myself easily drawn into it all. But at the end of the day Apple is a global business, their only interest in you is your money.

Steve Jobs is the only unique thing about Macs/Apple, his hippy values have a huge impact on the products they make and we all enjoy using, but don't ever forget that his first priority is the shareholders.

Anyway, good for Apple, it shouldn't surprise anyone considering just how good the macbook product line is. When will they reach 5%?

Edit: Looking at your name, I take it you were being ironic! Oh well, hard to tell around here sometimes.

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005
Anyway, good for Apple, it shouldn't surprise anyone considering just how good the macbook product line is. When will they reach 5%?

The Apple notebook market share is somewhere near 12% (from what I recall... The keynote from WWDC last year said it was at 12%, I wouldn't be surprised if it's grown since then...

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
100 million Ipod owners already know first hand how great Apple products are.
In two years time add another 100million + 20-30 million iPhone users + 20-50million existing mac users and you have approaching 300 million potential mac buyers...at this point the rest of the world is going to go 'hey what's this 'mac' thing ?' and WHOOSH - snowball...exponential growth...

Amazing...:)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
"You are about to buy a Macintosh that is easier to use, beautifully designed, bundled with excellent programs, and no worries of viruses or being immediately outdated..

Deny or allow..."

:)

seashellz2

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
>> You'd have expected a dip as people delayed their Mac purchase until 10.5 is released.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah!

very good :)

i'm responsible for two of those purchases though, and i've converted a few friends over :D ;)

Not that its a competition, but people like us should get comission from Apple ;) hehe. I have converted 12 indivuals that would have otherwise for sure gotten PCs and get this....my entire company where I work is now switching the whole company over to Macs because of me :) I swear I'm not exagerating. I'v never been happier :) That makes a total with my work of about litterally 60 "Switchers" that would not have joined the Apple family otherwise!

Anybody else had success stories like this? I'd love to hear! :) I genuinely get happy and excited when people switch hehe!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
If this is true, it's down to Microsoft's Vista marketing, which is hilarious when you think about it. Microsoft have spent a fortune advertising Vista, so much that every newspaper and TV news programme has covered it, all mentioning at some point that "Vista is playing catchup with Apple's Mac OSX".

So consumers have been bombarded by talk of Macs and their superiority, and Microsoft have footed the bill. Brilliant :D

I think your totally right on this :) Its awesome hehe

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
and those nice revenue from mac purchase, will mostly go right into the R&D for iphone, ipod, :apple: TV, etc etc... there aren't gonna be much left for mac R&D:mad: :(

Read my sig. After you have read it, ponder this for a while: In the PPC-era, Mac was stagant. Improvements were few and far between, you were lucky to get few more megaherz our of the CPU, while it was still crippled by that uber-slow 166Mhz bus. Today Apple has just finished a major architecture-transition in ahead of schedule. The machines have been constantly upgraded, with performance going up, new features being added and prices coming down, and new versions of the key pieces of software are on their way.

And we still have whiners. It just boggles the mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.