Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
When you can make a product for $99 at 45 points of margin (AppleTV 2) that can feed a TV with media you sell (at a reasonable margin) and control that device with another item (iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone) that has been sold at $300+ and 50 points margin...

...why in the name of Zeus' butthole would you pursue a market that has zero margin, high churn, and commodity pricing (to say nothing of storage and shipping nightmares)?

----------

What more do you want? Apple monitors, while extremely high quality, have an enormous premium in terms of price compared to similarly sized monitors.

Patently false. Show me another 27" screen with the color gamut, viewing angle, and connectivity that the Apple has for anything than a 5-10% difference in price. Oh, and add a few $$$ to the cost, since it is likely made of plastic instead of something durable, attractive, and classy.

----------

hahahahaha

analysts predict something in the future...if not this year we'll adjust it to later.

What really sucks about this is that many more people are predicting the end of the world well before this vaporware is ever introduced. And, I believe they base their predictions on better intel.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
This Apple Television talk is all BS.

Apple will focus on ATV box, content distribution and navigation UI.
They do not need a television set to revolutionize the industry.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There's nothing to get excited about until they get the studios & the networks unstuck.

Indeed.

With the right content they could bump the price of the set top box and folks would still pay, no need to bother with the display part of the equation.

If they make anything better than 27 inches it will likely be a dummy display that could be used with the STB or a computer.

That said, on the timing issue, it could be matter of terms. Late Calendar 2012 would be the start of Fiscal Calendar 2013 (retail pretty much always starts with the holiday season)

----------

The concept of channels will disappear.

You will specifically search for & subscribe to the smallest common denominator: The shows themselves.

I don't know about the notion of subscribing to shows, but cheaper buying could happen.

As for channels, they might not go totally away. We could still be dealing with channels and packages. But rather than these 100 channel cable packages it would be those that owned together. Like NBC, Bravo, SyFy and USA or ABC, ABC Family and whatever.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Well It would suck to wait until next year, but at least my wallet will be thankful:rolleyes:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I'm still skeptical on this one. The largest TV manufacturers have been losing money for the past 4–5 years on their TV business because prices are too low and there's an over–supply of TV–manufacturing plants.

What exactly would Apple bring to the table? An even cheaper TV? A very expensive TV? Would people suddenly ditch their current LCD/LED TV for an Apple–branded display?

Actually, that's not exactly why manufacturers are taking losses in their TV divisions. It's a symptom though.

And not everyone is losing money... it's companies like Sony that are taking a hit because they don't know how to run a business properly anymore.

You have 2 tiers of televisions: high end, mid-range, and budget level. The high end sets are usually adoptive of new technologies that are still very expensive (latest display tech, etc) and few people buy them. That's where they are loosing their money is mainly in the high end sector. Those sets don't sell, and then sell at a loss to clear inventory. When that tech/parts come down in cost, they're already running a loss in that category when people start to buy them as they become the mid-range set.

The challenge has been getting people to trade up, but the reality is most people don't see any value in doing that.

Don't feel too bad for the industry either, who got majorly busted in a price fixing scheme and spanked by regulators all over the world for driving panel prices up as much as 400%!

Low end sets still produce a profit... but it's the mid-range that is the gravy train. Ironically, it's the companies that were involved in the price fixing that seem to be crying that they can't make any money.

All that said, where Apple has always been successful is charging more for the same hardware as a competitor and a value in the user experience and design. If that success carries over to TV sets, they'd be wildly successful.

Look at a midrange set... something in the 43-50" range that currently sells for $699-$1199 depending on manufacture. (And it's the companies selling sets with the same innards at the higher ranges having financial problems...hmm) Apple could put out a set that's basically that $1199 set that Sony can't seem to sell... sell it for $1699, and sell 20 times more than Sony if their strategy carries over well to televisions... IF.

Where I think Apple will have a hard time is convincing people that user experience is worth a premium no matter what the feature set might turn out to be. No one has had a slam dunk there yet. Apps on a tv? Not a selling point so far. 3D? Largely ignored. Google TV? Yeah, no comment needed there.

A TV is something you watch and not something you interact with on a large scale. This is far different than a tablet, handheld device, phone, computer, etc. Apple might just be the company who does "crack the code" for generating consumer interest. Will be very interesting to see.

At the end of all days though, unless you've got lots of excess income to blow on things, most people that want a new TV usually have a budget for what they can spend. They aren't audio/video-philes. They're people who want an upgrade to screen size and a more cinematic experience for the least amount of money. This is why high end sets are financial losses on the balance sheets of all the major manufactures. Dropping an extra hundred or two hundred dollars to go from the bargain range to a mid-range set is something most people can find value in or pull off... when you go that next step... you're usually talking about going from a $500-$700 set to a $1200+ set... almost double the average consumers budget. That's a hard sell for any company in this economy.

Though, I think Apple is the company that can pull it off and be profitable.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Bro, I said they are EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY, I was only comparing SIZE, not features.

When you can make a product for $99 at 45 points of margin (AppleTV 2) that can feed a TV with media you sell (at a reasonable margin) and control that device with another item (iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone) that has been sold at $300+ and 50 points margin...

...why in the name of Zeus' butthole would you pursue a market that has zero margin, high churn, and commodity pricing (to say nothing of storage and shipping nightmares)?

----------

Patently false. Show me another 27" screen with the color gamut, viewing angle, and connectivity that the Apple has for anything than a 5-10% difference in price. Oh, and add a few $$$ to the cost, since it is likely made of plastic instead of something durable, attractive, and classy.

----------

What really sucks about this is that many more people are predicting the end of the world well before this vaporware is ever introduced. And, I believe they base their predictions on better intel.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Thank you, Analyst. I couldn't have deciphered that without you. Your job is a valuable and useful contribution.
:rolleyes:

----------

iTV will be less about the hardware and software than people think.

Yes, there will be beautiful hardware, and some interesting innovations on the remote interaction. But it'll primarily be about change in content delivery.

The concept of channels will disappear.

You will specifically search for & subscribe to the smallest common denominator: The shows themselves.

iTV will be as much about how apple manages to get content licensing deals as it is about getting out a new sexy hardware. The whole ecosystem needs to evolve for the hardware to be anything more than a giant Apple Cinema display with an Apple TV integrated inside it.

You know what the biggest problem with this is? Apple has not even gotten close to figuring out the Discovery aspect. Look at iTunes, and the App Store.

There is no way to find anything. The categories are too broad, and Genius discovery is absolutely worthless.

Having to find TV media without the traditional "Guide" that people are used to from their cable providers, is a big problem, and one that Apple has NOT cracked. At least not publicly. If they have a solution in mind, they haven't begun to test it where they are bound to...on the iTunes and App Stores.

*We did hear recently about revamps to both stores that were supposedly coming, that focused on cleaner and easier content discovery....IF this plays out, it may very well be a look at the concept Apple plans to use for iTV media discovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.