And all the iPad 3 rumors have died...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HelixOmnimedia, Aug 9, 2011.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Its my birthday next months. September 17th -- don't forgot to send presents -- anyway been thinking of treating myself to an iPad 2. However over the last few weeks there was constant rumors of an iPad 3 being released around September time and now they have all died.

I'd don't want to be spending £550+ on a iPad if within weeks a new one will come.

2. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

There were the same rumors last year. There are rumors this year. There will be rumors next year

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I just can't see them releasing it. They are still just rolling it out internationally. It just seems too soon. The current ones are selling well enough to get them to round 3 in March/April 2012.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Perhaps you can tell us what sort of rumors interest you and we can get the ball rolling? Won't make it any more likely that a new iPad will be released this year though.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It won't.

6. tekker macrumors regular

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I would say if you want one then go and get one.

I myself am waiting for the third revision because I still don't think as it stands the iPad 2 is right for me. I am still waiting for a compelling reason as to why I should buy one. I hope the ipad 3 gives me one.

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I think it's harder for rumors to get started now for a few reasons:

* It's the northern hemisphere's summer, so people are out and about and also not in school for the most part

* Apple is doing an even better job of hiding developments than before.

The "iPhone 5" (4GS, whatever it may be called) is due shortly, and there's been not so much rumors there too.

FWIW, I have heard from a third-hand source that Verizon is preparing for _two_ Apple product launches this year, not just one.

9. PaulWog Suspended

In my opinion, if Apple were to release an entirely new product (iPad 3) before a full 365-day cycle since the last iPad release, they would have to have a good reason to do so. The Christmas season would likely be when they'd want to take advantage of this. So, if they do release an iPad 3 earlier than the 365-day refresh cycle, it would likely be in late November or in the first couple days of December. However, I don't see why this year would be a special case and reason for them to need to release early.

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No.

11. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not going to happen, Just buy an iPad 2 and if i'm wrong and an 'iPad 3' comes out in September i'll Paypal you £550:p

12. chaarlz macrumors newbie

Yea, the iPhone in White, and the iPhone in Black. Or the "LowCost iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5".

13. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Yeah something is happening September 7-10th according to my flatmate who is pretty high up with o2 here in the uk. 10th is also the same day I finishing my training for Apple in a new store. They moved it forward to end that week. Needless to say I am excited, but still wanting an iPad and not an updated iPhone.

14. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

First iPhone 5 in September; people start hyping it and standing in line for it, then people buy the iPhone 5.

Then Apple need for people to take a break for 4-6 weeks and exhale the iPhone 5. After that just maybe there is time for a new iPad just before Christmas - SO NOT BEFORE NOVEMBER will we be able to buy a new iPad !!

15. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Releasing something for Christmas mandates shipping well before late November.

16. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I agree that this is the commonly accepted take on Christmas gifts, but is it still true?

Back when things were bigger and trucked everywhere, sure, this made sense but in the day and age of $5.95 FedEx shipments, does it still hold true?

17. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

You can safely buy an iPad 2.
    You will have about 6 months before anything newer is released

18. PaulWog Suspended

And your point is?

It's early August right now. It doesn't take a month to ship to almost everywhere lol.

19. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Buy the iPad 2! I highly doubt the 3 is coming out until next year. Live in the now, have fun now! If the 3 offers super duper cool features you MUST have, sell the 2 and get the 3.

20. PaulWog Suspended

Pretty much right.

It's always awkward buying in a mid-product cycle though. Since we're 150 days in, and 150 days away from *probably* what would be the longest Apple would wait to do a refresh. For me, only reason I'm not buying the iPad 2 is because I *just* bought the Macbook Air. I like doing one major tech purchase per 6 months max (major = $250+ purchase). I'm a student though.

@OP: You're looking at anywhere from 50 days to 200 days for a refresh. 50 days being a stretch (too early), and 200 days being a bit of a stretch (bit too late). Likely a refresh will be very close to exactly how long it took for the iPad 2 to succeed the iPad 1. That's not necessarily the way things will work out though.

21. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It will

yes

fair enough, my guess too. In time to kill the XMas sale of the competitors

22. kschong710 macrumors newbie

I lucky cause buy iPad 2 in June as my birthday gift from my wife.and it come with 4.3.3 FW that I can JB.If I still waiting for IPad 3 don't know when it launching.

23. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

There are two issues.

1. How many months did it take for iPad 2 to not be terribly supply restrained? At least 4. Given Apple's record in ramping iPhone and iPad production in recent years, it is unlikely that they are going to be able to have new iPhones and a new iPad model ramped up in November shipping in 24 hours.

2. What happens to the iPads bought the end of October for Christmas once a new model is released in November? While Apple is notorious for not caring about screwing people in such situations, they have not recently messed with making sure the holiday line of iDevices is set by September.

While they might release a new model this autumn, it makes little sense from a marketing or production standpoint.

24. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

You know, I love how all the people say "no, it's impossible, Apple won't do it.". Blah blah blah. Just like everyone said Apple will always release an iPhone in June/July. And yet here we are....

'Nuff said.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

No. Do you want to bet, or are you purposely trying to tick people off by giving opposites?