Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I thought you were going to say the person who signed for it actually signed their name as "Joe Blow" and the Fedex guy didn't notice that it was the wrong address OR that the dude said his name was Joe Blow.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I thought you were going to say the person who signed for it actually signed their name as "Joe Blow" and the Fedex guy didn't notice that it was the wrong address OR that the dude said his name was Joe Blow.

That situation made me laugh....definitely would have made for a better story (i.e. making Fedex look like more of a clown).

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
And so the chosen one arrives...everything was all sealed up including the outside cardboard and inner MBP box. Fedex driver told me he was simply trying to redeliver it from this morning...I laughed and said I was glad he found it. Then he fessed up, although I am not sure what he was trying to pull since I was obviously the one who called in the mistake. :confused:

I had called Apple in the meantime and they made notes on the order regarding the situation and had advised me to accept it no matter what and if it WAS damaged they would still offer me a refund or replacement and deal with Fedex themselves which may be nice to know for the next person this happens to as I am sure that I will not be the last.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
And so the chosen one arrives...everything was all sealed up including the outside cardboard and inner MBP box. Fedex driver told me he was simply trying to redeliver it from this morning...I laughed and said I was glad he found it. Then he fessed up, although I am not sure what he was trying to pull since I was obviously the one who called in the mistake. :confused:

I had called Apple in the meantime and they made notes on the order regarding the situation and had advised me to accept it no matter what and if it WAS damaged they would still offer me a refund or replacement and deal with Fedex themselves which may be nice to know for the next person this happens to as I am sure that I will not be the last.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you!

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

Good info there--thanks for sharing your story. I agree that I would rather work with Apple if there was a problem than with FedEx--so the advice to accept it seems reasonable.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I'm glad it had a happy ending.
May I ask something to those in the know, I live in college accommodation and want to order a mbp. Thing is, since I live in college, I won't be the one receiving the package.

How does delivery work in that case? Will the people at the front office be allowed to receive my package? If they do then it's no problem. But if the delivery company doesn't let them accept it, then what?

whyzdom

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
May I ask something to those in the know, I live in college accommodation and want to order a mbp. Thing is, since I live in college, I won't be the one receiving the package.

How does delivery work in that case? Will the people at the front office be allowed to receive my package? If they do then it's no problem. But if the delivery company doesn't let them accept it, then what?

If Fedex, you can print out a form to leave with the folks at the front desk authorizing the delivery driver to leave your package there. It's called a Shipment Release Authorization and can be printed out from your Fedex tracking page.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
If Fedex, you can print out a form to leave with the folks at the front desk authorizing the delivery driver to leave your package there. It's called a Shipment Release Authorization and can be printed out from your Fedex tracking page.

There is always the option to call your local FedEx office and have them hold the package so you can pick it up directly from their office. I've done that on occasion.

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
This is why I always get my expensive stuff delivered to my office.

Our mailroom always opens up every package, and if it's a computer, it gets an asset tag on it. I'm going to have to take the day off and wait! :)

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010

My school mailroom accepts packages just fine, so maybe it'll work for you. Just call up your school's front office and ask. I'm sure they get Fedex packages all the time.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
this is crazy, I cant believe fedex screwed this up...

Fedex doesn't care who signs for a package as long as someone signs for it. A thief could sit in front of your house/apt and when Fedex shows up simply sign for it and then leave. They do not check IDs or anything. Packages that don't require a signature are even worse; they can be left at a different address entirely and you can be out of luck. I live in an area where there are four houses on different streets but with same number and it's nothing surprising to find a package at the right street number but wrong street.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Quite the landmark too. It's a zoo during the day though. You can hardly breathe down there with all the tourists and people walking through.

They certainly treat all the customers like animals. :rolleyes:

Personally I prefer the Soho store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.