And it bent.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJCP, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RJCP macrumors 6502

So, I've had my iPhone 6 since September and I've now noticed it has ever so slightly bent. It's not massively noticeable and there doesn't seem to be any extra pressure on the display.
    The phone is great otherwise, great and even display, no front camera displacement.

I always keep it in my front pocket with the glass against my leg so it has bent in that direction.
    I've never felt enough pressure against it to assume it would bend the phone, but it seems like it happened. As I said, it's not a massive bend but if you lay it on a flat surface and hold one of the ends against the table, the other end will lift slightly - maybe the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.

As I said, it doesn't affect the usability and the glass doesn't seem to be under pressure, but it's still disappointing.
    I'm a bit indecisive as to wether or not try and get it replaced and enter the replacement lottery and end up with a straight phone with dead pixels/interlacing/displaced camera, or any of the other issues that have been plaguing users.
    It bothers me because I know it's there and it shouldn't, but I'd like to know what you guys would do if you were in my shoes.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

When you lay it down to test if it's bent, are you putting it on the back or the front of the phone?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This. I just ran into someone who said their iPhone was bent because it wobbled...until they turned it over. ;)

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The thickness of two pieces of paper does not really mean it is bent. It could just be slightly twisted from being in your pocket. You likely could exert only a slight amount of pressure the opposite way and remove the twist.

Twisted or racked is different than bent. Both sides of the phone can be perfectly straight (not bent) and the phone still be twisted or racked causing it to not lay perfectly flat.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sadly there are many who still won't figure it out... ;)

6. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

It rocks slightly if I place it with the glass upwards on a flat surface leaving the camera out of the surface (just beyond the edge).

----------

I always keep it in my pocket with the screen against my leg, so I might just use it the other way around for a while and see if twists back into the original shape. I really don't want to try and do it intentionally.

7. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Why are people so quick to assume that it is their phones that are bent, and not their tables?

I'd much sooner believe a table, usually made out of soft wood, plastic, or thin metal, and has heavy things put on it or leaning against it, isn't perfectly and uniformly straight and level before I believe my phone is bent.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

When my wife got her 6 plus locally, she ordered an otter box off their site which took maybe 5 days to arrive.

In that time she managed to carry the phone around in the waist band of her yoga pants, back pocket and sit on it, etc.. I thought for sure phone would be bent, especially after I saw her sit on it.

Compared it to my 6 plus and after doing several thorough checks. It was just as straight as my 6 plus that I've never done any of the above with.

Maybe there are some devices out there with lesser build quality, but I think under most normal circumstances it's still hard to damage it.

10. HEK Suspended

HEK

Are you sure of your surface flatness of what you are checking the phone on. My desk at work has variations depending on where I set the phone. Do you have access to a surface check plate? Usually made from granite and certified flat to within a specific tolerance.

11. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

my plus bends all the time, every once awhile I place it face down on a flat table and I can see the phone is bit twisted. However grabbing each corner and bending it back does the trick.

Its actually kinda scary how easy it is to bend back, doesn't take that much force at all.

12. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

Glass table.

13. BriOS macrumors member

So the craziest thing happened. I tried to bend my iphone and it bent. Im going to sue apple for this. Damn bendable metal. Who else can I bitch to or sue??

14. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

What i try and do when i am sitting down with my phone in my pocket i always shift/push the phone torwards my center in my pocket, torwards my groin area instead of it just chilling and hanging off the edge of my pocket more on the sides of my thigh, seems to help , i have always done this with my phones in my pocket and it takes good pressure off my pocket region

----------

The glass table may not be 100% level...with that being said. The easiest way to really tell if its bent is just looking at it on the side downwards, look at the side of your phone (not horizontally but vertically have your phone vertical and just at the side of the phone downwards, youll easily be able to tell thatway

Like someone else said, the phone could also very well be just ever so slightly twisted

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The glass table being level has nothing to do with if the phone is bent or twisted.

16. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

He is saying it is slightly rocking on the table, how does it not have any relevancy? For all we know he can be mistaking his device being bent or twisted because of a not so perfectly level table

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    So long as the surface he's testing it on is flat, the levelness doesn't matter. I think he'd notice if he were wobbling the table rather than the phone.

18. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Sorry, I meant to say flat table, like a flat level 100% flat straight table, glass tables are almost never really completly flat

19. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I can tell you do not understand. . . . . . . . .

Level has NOTHING to do with it. Flat has EVERYTHING to do with it.

You could take the phone and hold it onto a vertical flat piece of window glass and it would rock on that flat surface if bent or racked.:cool:

21. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Probably came that way since it was new like mine. Exchanged for a new one but never checked if it was bent again.

22. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

Yeah, we don't care anymore hahaha

23. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Read my previous comment, I meant to say a level surface, a flat table surface, not level table, glass tables are essentially almost never 100% accurately flat surface and so he can be mistaking that

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I read your comment and it was wrong.

LEVEL has NOTHING to do with it.

A FLAT surface is all that is required to tell if it is bent or racked. That FLAT surface does not have to be level!:rolleyes:

25. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Thats what I said...do you not read and just type? I corrected my self the post after I said in what i meant