And people say Flash is dying...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nomik2, Feb 25, 2011.

1. nomik2 macrumors regular

So I was on Kotaku today on an iPad and came across this link about COD:MW3.

http://www.findmakarov.com/

Please take out your iPads and enjoy this site for me. Now I'm not going to die if I don't get to see a stupid countdown on a website...but this is the sort of thing that pisses me off on an iPad. Cortex-A9 processors can easily handle Flash without draining batteries...implement it Apple!

2. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

seriously?

3. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, seriously. When I'm sitting around surfing the net I don't like hitting road blocks.

I have resorted to bookmarking flash sites that I view later when I'm on a desktop. Its stupid and I shouldn't have to do it...

4. ksmith80209, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

If it helps, the site is down for the count. Can't even pull it up right now.

6. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

indeed you shouldn't, but this example is somehow not convincing to me. flash to watch a countdown?

i read enough bad press about mobile flash to be glad not have it on my iphone.

but this subject has been beaten to death, don't know why i bothered replying. guess i'm bored.

7. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

Probably cuz of the rabid cod fans hammering the site...

8. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

As I said...the point isn't about this specific website.

This happens way too often on way too many websites. I know Apple is trying to kill Flash, a noble effort indeed, but its coming at too big of a cost.

9. Tymmz, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

i would agree if someone uses their tablet as their only device, but that's not what it is intended to be.

and flash, at this moment, is not meant to be used on an ultraportable device, simple as that.

as long as flash isn't optimised and the ipad's power and batter life isn't on par with a notebook everyone should expect to make sacrifices. we ain't there yet.

10. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

But Flash is optimised...just look at the Playbook, Xoom and Touchpad. They all have Flash on Cortex-A9 chips, and from demos it works beautifully. The battery life for these iPad is amazing not because it doesn't use Flash, but because it uses ARM chips which are several folds more efficient than x86 chips.

Even the new more powerful Cortex-A9 (vs the iPads Cortex-A8) has better battery life (as shown in the Xoom) than the current iPad.

I don't think battery life is an issue as big as Apple has presented it to be...

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

12. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

and this isn't flash for mobile:

"Having Flash installed can cut battery runtime considerably—as much as 33 percent in our testing."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/review...otebooks-ars-reviews-the-11-macbook-air.ars/3

EDIT: off now...

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm pretty sure battery drain testing with video files demonstrated that the Xoom came in below 8 hours while the iPad took about 11 and a half to empty.

14. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

15. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

16. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Skyfire Web Browser solves all my flash needs on the iPad. They also have a nifty feature that automatically detects a link in your clipboard when you launch the app and asks immediately if you want to open it.

I don't like it as a full time browser, but when Safari fails on the flash end of things, I just copy the link, open Skyfire, and I'm in business. Works beautifully on 95% of the sites I throw at it.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Um, I can't because the Playbook and Touchpad do not exsist, Xoom does NOT do Flash.

18. BrennerM macrumors regular

2 out of 3 of those haven't been released yet and the one that has (Xoom) does NOT have Flash on it yet!!!

Any battery tests done on the Xoom so far have not included Flash because it has not yet been delivered.

Not saying I wouldn't like a built-in Flash option for iPad but to compare it to 3 devices that either aren't out yet or don't yet have Flash is just ridiculous.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Xoom does not have Flash. They've promised to put out an update in the first 90 days to add Flash, IIRC.

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

And you know this how??? Because you speculate that three devices that have no real-world testing handle it effortlessly? Do you have any idea why the Xoom shipped without Flash support? You don't think it's because battery life is shortened significantly with Flash as it's currently implemented?

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Does it play this:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Baby+Baboon/

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Amazing+Horse/

Or other such SWF files?

As Video was only a side feature of Flash, not it's main function, and there are other ways to play video, so that's not the issue really.

22. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It doesn't solve my Flash needs. Our local newspaper only offers it's online editions in Flash format. Skyfire only works for Flash videos. My solution now is to VNC over to my Mac and read it that way. But it's sad I have to do that.

23. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Look at what?

Playbook - not released (expected March/April)
    Touchpad - not Released (expected June)
    Xoom - Released today, without Flash (because it's NOT optimized yet).

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

You don't have to. There are other platforms available. "No Flash on the iPad" is not a surprise so people either need to accept it for what it is or they can find alternatives that better suit their needs.

25. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

I specifically said 'demos' of those products that show Flash running flawlessly. Why doesn't anyone here believe that Apple can implement Flash if they tried?

The way Apple has taken a stand on this issue, they won't implement it on principle instead of merit.