And so it begins...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boe11, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Ccrew macrumors 68020

"Separately, in what could be a sign of the end of the Mac Pro desktop line, Amazon is currently out of stock of the 8-core model. AppleInsider was first to report last October that Apple executives were evaluating whether to continue the Mac Pro in the face of limited sales, or finally ax the aging desktop line."

Yeah, that'll go over big....

2. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

3. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

This tbh. Laptop has just died but no point shelling out when they're just about to update

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

My laptop works just fine but it would be nice to have it before the release of D3 and just for the sake of having a new toy, plus I already have a few games that runs a bit so-so. :) Ill cross an extra finger for all of you whos laptops have given up.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Can't really say I blame them. I know this isn't any sort of scientific sample, but EVERY person I know that has needed a high end Mac system lately has chosen to go with a Hackintosh rig instead of buying a Mac Pro. Much more customizable and they can do it for a fraction of the price.

6. Boe11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll believe the mac pro thing when i see it I guess. Though it wouldn't be a huge surprise, it would sort of solidify the notion that Apple is moving away from the professional market all together. Most think it's been happening for a while, given that the IOS stuff is so much more profitable. Still, there are a lot of professionals currently using Mac Pros (myself included) that are going to be pretty pissed being forced to look elsewhere for their needs.

I understand that it's the job of Apple to make good business decisions for the share holders, but damn, you've got 600 billion dollars, can't you afford to keep happy the market that actually built your company in the first place?:mad:

I know, I'm economically naive...

7. Liquinn Suspended

There's shortages of supplies in some retailers apparently.

I guess we'll soon see.

8. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

haha thanks! a new toy is always fun though :p

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It would be pretty silly though. Even if Apple is moving towards the consumer market, professionals are the ones that actually create the content for the consumer market.

And it's not like they don't have $ for the tiny amount of R&D required to do a simple hardware upgrade.

10. Boe11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I'm really hoping they stay the course and keep all of the Pro lines alive and distinctive.

11. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Not really. I think you made a fine point.

"Flagships" are rarely the cash cows. BMW sells a lot more 3-series than 7-series and a lot more goes to the bottom line from the former. However, the 7-series is as much marketing as it is a money earner.

The question is whether the Mac Pro still advertises what Apple wants to show as its image. Does a big desktop match their "post-PC" message and image? Maybe not. It would be unfortunate, but while the Mac Pro may seem more refined than your average Dell or HP desktop, it really is the same technology is a lovely case.

As beautiful as I think my Mac Pro is, it is a gritty machine at the end of the day. A powerhouse, full of storage and memory and lots of ports. If Apple makes a decision to drop the ax, it may not be just because of the bottom line.

I think it would be a mistake in the long-term (20+ years from now).

12. New Apple macrumors regular

Cook will speak at the opening night of the conference when it kicks off on May 29 at the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif

13. New Apple macrumors regular

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

20 years from now, there'll be more power in an iPad sized device than what's possible in a current desktop size computer.

15. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Wrong. It will not take 20 years.

It is never enough. Processing power and bandwidth is insatiable.

Just look at the video side of things. There is a push for double HD resolutions, which when you consider 3D is technically quadruple resolution.

Look at Toy Story (1995) compared to Toy Story 3 (2010) and compare the look of the animation. The amount of time it took to process frames back then versus now is a huge difference. It took hours to process a single frame back in 1995.

The reason I think it will be a mistake is because part of Apple's image is that of "creation". Seeing content creators using Macs makes the average punter feel special.

16. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

17. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wrong? That's an extremely bold statement to make. You KNOW that a tablet sized device won't be as powerful as a mac pro in 20 years? Sure...

I don't understand your comment "it is never enough"? Did you somehow think that I was implying that we will stop needing more processing power?

18. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I got the impression that he meant it will take less than 20 years.

19. psykick5 macrumors 6502

There is no way I would've imagined that when the SNES came out that in just over a decade I would be able to play those same games on a device that is half the size and a fourth the thickness of just the SNES's CONTROLLER. Technology moves at blistering speeds.

That isn't even 20 years. That's just over 10. The SNES had a 3.58 MEGAhertz processor while my phone has a 1000 megahertz processor. The games are ~10 megabytes, those cartridges are bigger than the actual phone I'm playing it on. We've gone from huge cartridges to microSD cards with the latter holding thousands of times more data. This is just my personal example from using my emulator today for the first time.

An iPad device having the power of a full desktop computer in 20 years? That sounds a bit slow to me. I'll give it 15.

20. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I said the opposite; it will not take 20 years for a tablet to be as powerful as a current Mac Pro. I am saying you are being too conservative in your prediction.

Every time we say "we will never need anything faster/better/stronger than XYZ", we find ourselves 5 years later, wondering how we survived with XYZ. While we may have post-PC products that are more power than current professional workstations, there will be need for processing power orders of magnitude more than those products for professional use in the future.

21. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If that's the case he certainly didn't read my post properly, as I said that in 20 years time there'll be more power in an iPad sized device than current desktops.

22. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Then I read it wrong too, ahhhh we're all confused. Yay new MBP :D