Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Exciting but we're still a couple of months away. Ivy Bridge wont be available till end of May/June.

Still, interested to see what Apple brings to the table with the new Pros/Airs

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I think we'll see at least the 15" sooner than that.

Last edited:

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
If that's the case he certainly didn't read my post properly, as I said that in 20 years time there'll be more power in an iPad sized device than current desktops.

Yeah and what he was saying that there will be more power in a ipadsized device than current desktops faster than that. So actually, with risk of sounding harsh, it is you who havent read properly, or alternatively misinterpreted.

:)

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Yeah and what he was saying that there will be more power in a ipadsized device than current desktops faster than that. So actually, with risk of sounding harsh, it is you who havent read properly, or alternatively misinterpreted.

:)

Considering how bluntly his post started with "Wrong.", as if to disagree with my suggesting that they'll be faster, I think it was fair of me to interpret it that way, was it not? Nonetheless, as OP said (before he edited out his above post? Lol) it's a trivial and Getz probably just made a mistake - we're human afte all.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Hypocritical edit.

Yay, new macbooks!

Last edited:

neilpryde23

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Exciting but we're still a couple of months away. Ivy Bridge wont be available till end of May/June.

I pretty sure Quad-core Mobile processors come out April 29th for retail (unless there was some recent news about more delays) and it's likely that OEM's, like Apple or other PC manufactuers, already have access to them. Those are going into at least the 15" and 17" MBP's with the 13" (assuming they keept it) potentially getting one as well (i7-3612QM TDP 35W - OEM only). It's just the dual-core ones (Mobile and ULV) that aren't available til June 2nd for retail sale and those will go into the MBA or 13" MBP if they keep it a dual-core model.

That being said, Apple could wait til WWDC to release them all at once but I really hope they release the new 15" MBP in the next month or so, possibly soon after the 2nd Quarter Earnings Call on April 24th :D

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012031301_Ivy_Bridge_revised_launch_schedule.html

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I pretty sure Quad-core Mobile processors come out April 29th for retail (unless there was some recent news about more delays) and it's likely that OEM's, like Apple or other PC manufactuers, already have access to them. Those are going into at least the 15" and 17" MBP's with the 13" (assuming they keept it) potentially getting one as well (i7-3612QM TDP 35W - OEM only). It's just the dual-core ones (Mobile and ULV) that aren't available til June 2nd for retail sale and those will go into the MBA or 13" MBP if they keep it a dual-core model.

That being said, Apple could wait til WWDC to release them all at once but I really hope they release the new 15" MBP in the next month or so, possibly soon after the 2nd Quarter Earnings Call on April 24th :D

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012031301_Ivy_Bridge_revised_launch_schedule.html

Isn't April 29th the date for desktop processors, think that all monile processors are coming out in late may/early june.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Considering how bluntly his post started with "Wrong.", as if to disagree with my suggesting that they'll be faster, I think it was fair of me to interpret it that way, was it not? Nonetheless, as OP said (before he edited out his above post? Lol) it's a trivial and Getz probably just made a mistake - we're human afte all.

I still stand by my comment; I think you are wrong. It will not take 20 years for an iPad-type device to have more power than a current Mac Pro. The majority of people posting understood that. We are human, after all.

Not terribly scientific, but Geekbench will tell you a PowerMac G4 from 2002 and an iPad 3 from 2012 have similar aggregate benchmarks. That is only 10 years. Although Geekbench and benchmarks do not tell the whole story, they do show trends and magnitude.

----------

I wonder if Apple's design department will allow for the blue in the USB 3 ports.

I am going to try to hold off if it is just processor and chipset and form-factor upgrades. I would love an upgraded display.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I still stand by my comment; I think you are wrong. It will not take 20 years for an iPad-type device to have more power than a current Mac Pro. The majority of people posting understood that. We are human, after all.

Not terribly scientific, but Geekbench will tell you a PowerMac G4 from 2002 and an iPad 3 from 2012 have similar aggregate benchmarks. That is only 10 years. Although Geekbench and benchmarks do not tell the whole story, they do show trends and magnitude.

----------

I wonder if Apple's design department will allow for the blue in the USB 3 ports.

I am going to try to hold off if it is just processor and chipset and form-factor upgrades. I would love an upgraded display.

Oh for Christs sake, are you not even reading my posts?! I said in 20 years they will have MORE POWER than a current desktop. I didn't say it will take 20 years! The only reason the 20 year figure even existed in my post is because you previously mentioned it. Are you just trying to be argumentative or are you purely ignorant?

sean800

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010

Oh god I hope they don't get rid of the 13". I don't want a 15" and I don't want a Macbook Air. My current macbook is crapping out on me and I can't get a windows laptop as I'm addicted to apple products like crack.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I can definitely see how people fell this spells the end of Apple's professional market focus, however I see it more as a push to consolidate the casual and professional markets into one, without sacrificing either.

For example, what makes a Mac Pro a professional machine? It's the extreme CPU power (up to 12 cores, I believe) and expandability of internal HDD bays and plenty of RAM slots.

Consider that a 45W notebook quad CPU can pull 2.5GHz, whereas a 130W desktop quad CPU struggles to hit 4GHz (approximate numbers). That's a lot of extra electrical power (and therefore heat) without too much benefit (50% faster with 200% more heat). If Intel were to add the extra infrastructure to their mobile chips allowing multiple processors to communicate, companies like Apple could create new small form factor desktops (like the iMac) with two, or even four notebook CPUs in it that perform as well as a future Mac Pro. Yes, it would be expensive. But it would also be awesome. And anyways, Mac Pros are very expensive now as it stands.

Secondly, Thunderbolt addresses the storage expandability of a Mac Pro, which it was clearly designed to do, well into the future.

Murgatroyd314

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2012
getz76 said:
"Flagships" are rarely the cash cows. BMW sells a lot more 3-series than 7-series and a lot more goes to the bottom line from the former. However, the 7-series is as much marketing as it is a money earner.

The question is whether the Mac Pro still advertises what Apple wants to show as its image. Does a big desktop match their "post-PC" message and image? Maybe not. It would be unfortunate, but while the Mac Pro may seem more refined than your average Dell or HP desktop, it really is the same technology is a lovely case.

As beautiful as I think my Mac Pro is, it is a gritty machine at the end of the day. A powerhouse, full of storage and memory and lots of ports. If Apple makes a decision to drop the ax, it may not be just because of the bottom line.

I think it would be a mistake in the long-term (20+ years from now).

20 years from now, there'll be more power in an iPad sized device than what's possible in a current desktop size computer.

And 20 years from now, there will still be people who need machines the size of a current desktop computer. They'll be the ones doing whatever is seen as cutting-edge work in the 2030s. And some company, maybe Apple, maybe not, will be highly visible as the maker of the machines such people use.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
And 20 years from now, there will still be people who need machines the size of a current desktop computer. They'll be the ones doing whatever is seen as cutting-edge work in the 2030s. And some company, maybe Apple, maybe not, will be highly visible as the maker of the machines such people use.

Perhaps, we don't know for certain. There may be a vast exponential increase in horsepower in smaller devices that ones the size of today's desktops will be a thing of the past. Who knows? 20 years is a very long time (I hope so anyway! :p)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

Very likely, but will it be a traditional desktop + monitor configuration? I doubt it. I think a more likely scenario would be a large box hidden somewhere in the home and an iPad or laptop like mobile device used as an interface.

Either way, the box won't be anything like a Mac Pro. Will hopefully be a Quantum Computing system instead :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.