And this is why I like Apples process of accepting apps...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Mar 3, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

While the open platform of Android has the increased potential of malware, there have been some security vulnerabilities in iOS apps as well.

3. HacKage macrumors regular

Apple's process of accepting apps is just outright daft sometimes. There is absolutely no consistency, apps get knocked back for a variety of different reasons while others get through and you think how?! Of course the Android side is open for malware, but as said above, iOS has had it's fair share of scares.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What iOS scares, I don't recall reading of any?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't care about open nearly as much as I care about good.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And neither do 97% of the user base.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

good is, well obviously good - but i hate the fact that there is SO MUCH repitition of poor quality apps. say if i want a twitter app. they are everywhere, and most are really terrible..

i wish there was quality control for usefulness/redundancy of apps :p

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Then people would complain about Apple's control even more.

10. Huntn, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My son *had* an Android phone that he was having some problems with. The first thing tech support told him was to remove all of the apps to see if that helped. "Open" can be good, but it can also be a double edged sword. My son now has an iPhone. BTW, I'm not the one buying him phones, he's an adult. :)

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am sure all the Android apps will be of significantly higher quality than the iOS apps.

"Good" refers to the iOS/hardware integration. I can pick through a lot of chaff to get the wheat as long as my experience is "good".

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it's an absolute shame Apple don't tighten their quality control a bit. There are so, sooo many terrible apps and games on the App store.
    I've had to jump through hoops to get my games ready for Steam. But look over the library there - nothing but thousands of good (50%+ rated) games. I'd appreciate a higher level of quality control on the App store.

13. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I definitely prefer Apple's method of controlling the store so there isn't anything malicious, data-infringing, or something that could later be killed in an update. Is Apple's a perfect screener? No, but it's better than having to wait for a problem to happen, then have Google remove it after the fact IMO.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

eh - you come to expect it these days :cool:

i think thats an overly bold statement to make

sure, the review system does help in this regard - as do the comments, but i find them normally inaccurate anyway.

right - apps below a certain % could have a review every few months or something to that effect. sometimes i wouldnt mind a "this app can be deleted" button built into AppStore :rolleyes:

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

16. Justinz macrumors newbie

yea it has it goods and its badd about how apple processes the programs..
    Also i am lucky i didnt download one of those programs on my phone. Thanks for the link!

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wish Apple would just use its authority to remove apps that are unsafe to use or download. Leave the market to decide which apps are good, and which are not. I'll decide which Sudoku apps, cooking/recipe apps, and games are worth downloading and keeping, and will voice my opinion with the rating and review system. I don't want them to determine the appropriate number of music apps, platform games, or even fart apps on the market. I know people want only high quality apps on the market, as do I. I just want hundreds of real people to decide rather than 1 or 2 Apple employees.

If that's what Google was doing, they'd have a better App processing system. Unfortunately, Apple still have the better system.....as flawed as it is.

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

My point exactly. Whatever Apple does they can't please everyone. Some people want more control, some people want less.