Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
As I said in a different discussion on this matter Nancy Heinin is NOT plea bargaining and is fighting the SEC in court.She says the CEO ( Jobs) TOLD her to do it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I thought it was a bit strange when MR reported that he was found to be not connected to this mix-up. I always thought he'd be found guilty.

Maybe they will release hardware to distract everyone!

"Well, on one hand, Steve Jobs is guilty. On the other hand, he just released MacBook Pro updates, so........we'll let him go this time."

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Screw him he is just DUMB!

He has no proof and no explanation so I dont think anyone will look back

I'm so sick of you stupid, warped drones. You worship a piece of plastic and silicon as if it's the monolith from 2001 and refuse to believe anything your sainted Steve Jobs does could ever be wrong. If this charge is true, Steve Jobs ought to be thrown in jail. You children who have never owned a share of stock or owned underwater options (I still have 1000 of them from IBM issued in 1999 ... anyone want 1000 IBM shares at 148? Didn't think so.) you obviously don't understand the pure greedy criminality of this act. Anyone guilty of options backdating ought to be dragged through the streets for his pathetic, borderless greed.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'm so sick of you stupid, warped drones. You worship a piece of plastic and silicon as if it's the monolith from 2001 and refuse to believe anything your sainted Steve Jobs does could ever be wrong. If this charge is true, Steve Jobs ought to be thrown in jail. You children who have never owned a share of stock or owned underwater options (I still have 1000 of them from IBM issued in 1999 ... anyone want 1000 IBM shares at 148? Didn't think so.) you obviously don't understand the pure greedy criminality of this act. Anyone guilty of options backdating ought to be dragged through the streets for his pathetic, borderless greed.

I own AAPL stock and it's done just fine for me, thanks. And frankly, I'm not looking forward to the big hit on my stock if Jobs is officially implicated/prosecuted. Can you honestly say the shareholders have been negatively affected by this options grant that was never exercised, or that we've suffered financially with Jobs at the helm? Please.

BTW, options backdating is NOT a criminal act.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Steve "God" Jobs isn't actually god, no need to go out of way to defend a businessman who only cares about your money. dog bites dog, just wait and see.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
And frankly, I'm not looking forward to the big hit on my stock if Jobs is officially implicated/prosecuted.

Yes and that's why America is a rapidly declining empire, Rome in fast forward. All greed is fine, just as long as it doesn't personally affect me. Sooner or later someone's illegal or unethical or just plain sleezy act will personally affect you, but please don't whine to the government or anyone's social conscience because when the time came for noble souls to put their ethics over their bank accounts, you've already made your choice.

ricksbrain

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Miami, FL
Jobs 1.0 is the person who ran the company into the ground.

Really? Interesting take, I suppose. There's no real evidence of that, but sure whatever... We can ignore the profit-taking that came after him, the lack of focus, the Copland fiasco, Scully's and Amelio's admitted mistakes.

But yeah, like I said... whatever. Lately, the truth seems to take a back seat to personal opinion.

Oh, and the America in decline thing... hm, such a solidly researched and supported assertion. How profound.

I'm so glad I came here today. I learned that thinking is still in the hands of a privileged few. Yay for realizations.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I figured this was going to happen in order to get a lower punishment for pointing the finger a Jobs. However I figure it was going to be Nancy the one doing it.

This sounds bad.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
I'm just saying that the situation as it stands currently is slightly fishy.

Not really; this is how it always goes. The guilty parties keep their lips zipped until after they've figured out their strategy and secured a deal from the prosecutor. The SEC will now have access to whatever material the CFO has in order to go after the lawyer, or the CEO, or whomever else is implicated.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
As I said in a different discussion on this matter Nancy Heinin is NOT plea bargaining and is fighting the SEC in court.She says the CEO ( Jobs) TOLD her to do it.

And I believe her. She didn't make the whole thing up on her own. But her problem is going to be that #1) She is a lawyer and knows better and #2) Being told by a client/employer to break the law is no defense. She should be disbarred as well, and that is exactly what will happen if the SEC wins the case against her.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
"the Board had given its prior approval and the Board would verify it."

Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but it sounds more like Anderson is "blaming" the Board, and Jobs was just the messenger in that conversation. Unless Jobs lied to Anderson about the Board's approval/verification--but Anderson doesn't seem to be saying that.

I'm sure everyone involved--guilty and innocent alike--is trying to deflect blame or the appearance of blame. I wonder if we'll ever know who REALLY acted with intent to defraud?

I would think that as the CFO he would have access to the board and the board records. As the CFO it was his responsability to ensure that he had the correct authority in writting before acting on it.

ClaphamChris

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
London, UK
A shame - although very predictable - that it's all getting nasty.

Fred's not really doing himself much of a favour here though IMO. Much as I respect a lot of the work he did at Apple, does he really think that the chances of future directorships will be enhanced by his argument that "I was told it was OK, so I just went ahead and did it?". No chief finance officer in any company I've worked for would do it - they'd check everything twice before laying themselves on the line professionally. It surprises me Fred did differently. He's no fool.

Nancy on the other hand is very interesting. She thinks she's got a strong enough case, which you've got to guess implicates Steve Jobs directly.

Fun times ahead. But Fred's just screwed himself over in that statement in my book. As if he wasn't screwed enough already....

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
In listening to the details carefully, this is Andersen's post-settlement lash-out PR release so when he goes on to run his new investmnt fund, his new associates can point to somebody to explain why he had to settle with SEC.

Notably SEC justified their hands-off approach regarding Jobs by citing the immediate and full cooperation they received from Apple and all the remaining ployees there (after the key players in the drama resigned.

The whole SEC involvement in this is anti-stockholder interest and in an area (options pricing) which in effect has no "losers" in a stock with such large daily transaction volumes as Apple has. The "dilutive effect" is nearly unmeasureable and has "no impact" on the market for the stock.

So I can see why he is pised to give $35,000,000 "back". My question is who got the $35m? Apple, Apple stockholders, or the SEC. Wanna place a bet?

Rocketman

I bet on SEC or the goverment.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Can you honestly say the shareholders have been negatively affected by this options grant that was never exercised, or that we've suffered financially with Jobs at the helm? Please.
I will agree with you here; in the short to mid term, Jobs has raised the value of the stock more than his criminality took from it. The problem is while YOU might have gained, people who bought the stock during the time in question are the ones who would have been the victims.

BTW, options backdating is NOT a criminal act.
It is when you forge the documents and fake the board meeting that were intended to grant the options.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
That guy who did the Time Machine demo hopefully.

The villian in this story is the SEC and a "zero tolerance legal culture". This could have been resolved with 10 letters and a check 5 years ago if all SEC cared about was asking the players to "bring their position to fairness". The SEC's real goal is to justify their existence in a political context through fines, actual or threatened criminal charges, and "give backs" (shakedowns) in the millions of dollars which the SEC itself absorbs. Isn't that evidence of a "second crime"? In that context it is the SEC itself "cheating the victims" of their due.

Isn't sovereign immunity great!?!

Rocketman

Sounds a lot like the Salem trials. anyone found guilty of witchcraft go to forfit their lands and possessions. Lets see .... SEC accusses and SEC get to keep the spoils. Ummmmm.

Rocketman

macrumors 603

Given her alleged culpability (over an issue that was LEGAL at the time, and the issue becomes how that conflicts with IRS specific accounting principals, as distinct from commercial reality and other layers of regulations.

My only question is if she will be "allowed" to serve in the future. (and where the shakedown money actually goes)

Rocketman

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
i actually wouldn't be that surprised if steve did do that, just based on his confidence and all that.

but again, i'm not based on any real proof

My thoughts too.

I hope he hasn't, but I can just imagine him doing it. If I had to put money on either way, I'd put money on him having done it without a doubt.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Really? Interesting take, I suppose. There's no real evidence of that, but sure whatever... We can ignore the profit-taking that came after him, the lack of focus, the Copland fiasco, Scully's and Amelio's admitted mistakes.

But yeah, like I said... whatever. Lately, the truth seems to take a back seat to personal opinion.

Oh, and the America in decline thing... hm, such a solidly researched and supported assertion. How profound.

I'm so glad I came here today. I learned that thinking is still in the hands of a privileged few. Yay for realizations.

:eek: :eek: How could you tell someone the truth like that! You know people here have no actual reason to learn the truth about anything. You have to watch yourself or they may actually respond and tell you how they feel and give their opinions about you and your comments. Then they might even try to support their opinions with incorrect facts and links to youtube and myspace. Then worst yet... they will try to tell you how your are wrong and give even more incorrect facts to back them up.

Anyway. This stock thing has been blown out of proportion. Last time I checked this was a rumors site... not the New York Times or Business Week. Give my my product update rumors and Leopard rumors. If I want political/journalistic issues I will read a real newspaper or news site. And it's funny how the Admins will post this actual factual journalism/governmental stuff then remove posts when we start talking about ethics, philosophy, and politics... WTF:mad:

That's why they should only post RUMORS

sheesh!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
It is when you forge the documents and fake the board meeting that were intended to grant the options.

Yes, but I was responding to the post that stated that options granting in general is illegal.

I'm not saying Jobs shouldn't be held accountable if he did, in fact, do something wrong, but some of these posters are crying for blood as if they have the actual facts of the case.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Given her alleged culpability (over an issue that was LEGAL at the time, and the issue becomes how that conflicts with IRS specific accounting principals, as distinct from commercial reality and other layers of regulations.

My only question is if she will be "allowed" to serve in the future. (and where the shakedown money actually goes)

Rocketman

The SEC is taking her to court and will be asking that she be kept from practicing again.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
If Steve Jobs is found guilty of a crime I hope that I can count on all of you to help overturn the law that he was found guilty of breaking and create a new retroactive law that gives him immunity to having broken said law. Steve Jobs inherently in who he is cannot break the law. The law must be moved and changed according to where he walks.

NOT!

That's what an Apple apologist or "sympathizer" might say. I say it's time we hold Apple's feet to the fire. When Fred Anderson left Apple, Jobs heaped praise at him. It reminds me of how Bush lets people go as they start getting investigated to the point that they could be linked to him. And then chalks it up to needing to spend more time with the family. Trust me, no family wants to spend more time with the sort of cronies Bush has got working for him. What I am saying is this: was Anderson the fall guy?

Now if Jobs is in trouble I hope he takes his lumps like Martha Stewart. She is a remarkable example of how a CEO can take lumps and come back stronger. In Jobs' commencement speech at Stanfordf, he talked about how all these seemingly bad things happened to him that actually led to great successes later. Maybe spending a little time in the clink will give Jobs a great idea for Mac OS XI. Who knows!

All's I know is this: I'm not an Apple apologist, and I don't think it benefits Apple to get away with anything. I think an honest fresh start is the most fertile ground for a company like Apple.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The SEC is taking her to court and will be asking that she be kept from practicing again.

"Law" or "corporate officer"?

Being disbarred alone would be good for her value.

As for the folks claiming there are Jobs fanbois, let me say this. The real issue here is legal conduct and selective enforcement. To get to SE thay have to claim "lie under investigation", not a violation of any underlying rule, law, regulation or ethic. And I assure you, there are plenty of varieties of those.

Rocketman

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yes and that's why America is a rapidly declining empire, Rome in fast forward. All greed is fine, just as long as it doesn't personally affect me. Sooner or later someone's illegal or unethical or just plain sleezy act will personally affect you, but please don't whine to the government or anyone's social conscience because when the time came for noble souls to put their ethics over their bank accounts, you've already made your choice.

I made my choice and my ethics were far above the sleazy acts of the US Government.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.