Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Android apps offer or customization, for iOS it requires a jb for customizations. but the overall quality of the app store is better

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.5.1.23995/26.1305; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)
You have to know that most free apps on android are themes and wallpapers. Apps are more stable and games run smoother in iOS too.

Really? have u actually looked in android market lately? or is this just one of those 2007 remarks?

It's true.

Android apps are usually lower quality which is probably why they're free.

Disagree with your there skippy. Have u actually used any of the apps? Perfect example - Evernote on android and IOS. I use evernote every day and its a must have app on my mobile devices. Yes evernote looks prettier on IOS but its less usable then android version. A lot of my notes can't be opened in IOS version of evernote because of "Formatting is too complex" I have to use "simplify option" to dumb down my notes and formatting to edit them. Same note opens perfectly on my android phone without any issues.

Some apps do, some don't. Yeah, I have no idea on the number. But there are definitely multiple apps of the same function that can be had for cheaper/free. Even if they're not by the same maker, it performs the same function. Hope that explains it correctly.

Yupp, I meant like all the apps look like they're a part of iOS. Functionality-wise they're not a part of the OS, but they at least look like it.

On Android each developer has his own theme he can put, so they all look completely different.

Frankly I would take interoperability and usability over prettiness of icons and buttons

nraudigy2

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Originally Posted by kalex
"Really? have u actually looked in android market lately? or is this just one of those 2007 remarks?"

I have couple android phones. So yeah I have looked in android market lately.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
i think on older phones, app's that were on iPhone for example just didn't have the polish or smoothness of the App Store. But on my SGII so far anything I've downloaded that was on my iPhones or similar, have been excellent in quality including games, some even better like I recently downloaded Gun Bros and like it better then the version on the App Store. Wondering if a lot of stuff is just designed for the higher end phones, or the phones now are taking better advantage of their tech advances compared to before. B/c that was one of my gripes with Android previously with how many apps were just glitchy or blahh.

Actually the only thing I haven't been able to find an app for that I liked as much on the iPhones, is a good shopping/grocery app.... I'm using Out Of Milk which also includes a few extras but I really liked the use of ShopList on the iPhone.

Originally Posted by kalex

I have couple android phones. So yeah I have looked in android market lately.
Uhhhh don't know what market your looking at but on the Android Market there are also a *****load of free apps from utilities, shopping list, games, finances... whatever.

nraudigy2

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
i think on older phones, app's that were on iPhone for example just didn't have the polish or smoothness of the App Store. But on my SGII so far anything I've downloaded that was on my iPhones or similar, have been excellent in quality including games, some even better like I recently downloaded Gun Bros and like it better then the version on the App Store. Wondering if a lot of stuff is just designed for the higher end phones, or the phones now are taking better advantage of their tech advances compared to before. B/c that was one of my gripes with Android previously with how many apps were just glitchy or blahh.

Actually the only thing I haven't been able to find an app for that I liked as much on the iPhones, is a good shopping/grocery app.... I'm using Out Of Milk which also includes a few extras but I really liked the use of ShopList on the iPhone.

Uhhhh don't know what market your looking at but on the Android Market there are also a *****load of free apps from utilities, shopping list, games, finances... whatever.

I prefer iOS free apps. There are so much more free apps. SGS2 is great but it sux when it comes to games. Some games have comparability issues with SGS2's MALI400 GPU.

http://appshopper.com/free/

Last edited:

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have used App Store, and Android Market, and I can honestly say that the App store is definitely more vast, and has more of a selection. In Androids Market, you can find cool free apps especially ones that are shared on both platforms and of course they have a good selection as well. But honestly, Apples games/apps just seem to run smoother, although I'm sure a top end Android phone runs a lot smoother than most are used to, compared to other Android phones. But I have to give it to Apple for this one.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Android apps are more powerful due to the OS being more customizable, but Apple has more high quality apps with better interfaces.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Disagree with your there skippy. Have u actually used any of the apps? Perfect example - Evernote on android and IOS. I use evernote every day and its a must have app on my mobile devices. Yes evernote looks prettier on IOS but its less usable then android version. A lot of my notes can't be opened in IOS version of evernote because of "Formatting is too complex" I have to use "simplify option" to dumb down my notes and formatting to edit them. Same note opens perfectly on my android phone without any issues.

Yeah I generally don't make comparisons between things unless I've used both; that would be stupid.

Spotify; on iOS you can see what your friends have played and play their music. There's also an additional option called "hide unplayable tracks" which comes in handy. Android has neither of those options. Android does have the option to add local files to playlists so I guess that might be better for people who use that feature.

Amazon for android vs. amazon windowshop for ios; on android you have to search for a product, but on ios you can browse. Search being the only way to navigate the site is no good when you're not sure what you're looking for!

Angry birds; doesn't occasionally wait for like 15 seconds to end a level on iOS after you've fired all the birds. It does on android.

The only android apps I can think of that are better than their iOS counterparts are the google apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.