Android could overtake iPhone by 2012 say analysts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by androidandme, Mar 5, 2009.

1. androidandme macrumors newbie

2. OnlyOneThatEver macrumors member

uggh everyone knows the world is ending in December 2012, so lmao at Google Android, they'll never get the chance

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are these the same analysts that Jon Stewart totally pwned last night on The Daily Show? I haven't seen any figures recently, but I also haven't seen a single G1 in anybody's hand. I know people with a BlackBerry and iPhone, even an older Palm phone. But a G1? No. I also haven't heard or seen any other devices using Android.

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I've never seen an Android in person. Don't know anyone who uses one and I run with a pretty techy and nerdy crowd.

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Competition is good for the consumer. If it turns out to be great, it will only force Apple to expand their product line at a competitive price to keep their customers satisfied. Capitalism is a beautiful thing.

7. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Are those the same analysts that made fun of OS X and the Mac?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I really wonder how anything Google can overtake anything. If their stock drops anymore their stockholders are going to be jumping out of their one-story mansions... lol :D

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

My friend got a sidekick for her birthday, but it broke, so she ended up getting a G1. Personally, people who use G1's use them more as phones, while the people I know with iPhone's use them more as "Hey, look what cool app I just got".

G1 = professional
    iPhone = Toy

More people go for the toy though...

11. Katuls macrumors member

totally agreed.

The Android OS is by far the most advanced OS put into a cell phone yet. Once devs start learning more about it, I truly believe Android will be on top of all other OS's. Like I've said in previous posts, my iphone is my 'play around phone', while my G1 is my 'get things done' phone.

12. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

G1=Open source toy (When the app store for this thing comes, it is going through the roof)

iPhone= Closed source toy (G1 will dominate the market by 90% in 2012 and iPhone only 10% like how Microsoft still has a 90% over Mac OS X)

Blackberries = Professional.

I see a repeat of Microsoft that is dominating OS X.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Way to go out on a limb there analysts. Lets see

Open Handset Alliance = 50 vendors
    Apple =1

The goal for Apple is to make money. It really doesn't matter if there are more android phones what matters is the revenue/profit and who that goes to and Apple's making a killing and will continue to profit greatly from the iPhone.

14. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

They are spot on because of one thing... In 2012, Android will be on a huge number of phones, meaning that it could have more marketshare than the iPhone. Think about it like this, Windows has more marketshare than Mac OS X, but that doesn't mean Lenovo T61 has more marketshare than the MacBook.

You guys are thinking of this as:

G1 marketshare > iPhone marketshare

You need to start thinking of it as this:

Android platform (tons of phones by 2012) marketshare > iPhone marketshare

Personally, I think they might be right, but that doesn't mean any Android phone will be anywhere as successful as the iPhone, just Android will be more widespread than the iPhone OS.

15. Katuls macrumors member

If Apple doesn't start making their phones with more capabilities, its very possible for a new phone OS to take over in the near future. Look at what the Razr did when it came out to the Nokias. The Razr was the hottest selling phone for like years. Smartphones are still relatively new to the general public. within the next few years, people will start realizing what they want in a smartphone. When the smartphone era hit, Iphone was on top. Thats why all new smartphone owners went to the iphone, because thats all they knew. Now with the expansion of smartphons coming out that go above and beyond what the iphone does, the iphone better adapt, or a new 'razr' will take over soon.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OK, I heard enough of these empty euphemisms during campaigns last year. What exactly is a phone that "gets things done?" Seriously, what are these magical "things" you can get done with a G1 that you can't get done with an iPhone (or BlackBerry for that matter)?

The only "get things done" shortcoming I have had on my iPhone is the fact that I can't sync a document from a MacBook to the phone and then e-mail it when I'm outside a WiFi zone. But I can keep up with various news sources (AP, NY Times, USA Today, countless others via Web sites), get e-mails at any time, find where the frick I am (if I had the GPS feature, it would be even more accurate), etc. etc. etc.

17. Katuls macrumors member

push email, for one. I rely on my emails. Having only yahoo as a push service doesn't cut it for me. Syncing is pretty much non existant (ical, docs, etc.) Bluetooth capability is non existant. The ability to copy and paste information into new emails, docs, etc isn't available. turn by turn directions would be very helpful; I can go on, but I think i've gotten the point across.

18. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Well, better Android than Windows Mobile. Because that is one unpleasant warthog of a mobile OS. And in general it'd be healthy for an ecosystem to evolve on mobile devices that is different from the the PC market. I think we all stand to benefit.

19. fr33 loader macrumors regular

This is akin to saying Apple will be outsold by Nokia. With the number of different type of phones they produce, they should. Android will eventually find its way to different phone companies so they will eventually overtake iPhone numbers.

20. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Isn't that exactly what the Reach My File app does?

21. theevilone macrumors member

Apple can not keep going the way it has or iphone will be toast. Android is good and can just keep growing. Watch for big news. Android is an OS that will be loaded on many hand sets soon.

22. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Let's see, Apple developed the iPhone a couple years ago. Killer phone.
    So, if Apple did nothing for the next 3 years, that could happen (though not likely).

By 2012, I would expect the iPhone or a newer smartphone will be developed that will be much better.

23. tim.z macrumors newbie

iPhone is a great piece of hardware. Android has a great OS. Could we see one day a combination:an iPhone with Android OS?

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Predicting the mobile phone market three years out -- I bet many have embarrassed themselves trying. Three years ago, the iPhone didn't even exist. Who accurately predicted its success even after it was introduced? The most obviously contradictory statement made by these analysts is that open source will rule smart phones, but their only example is Symbian, which actually saw its market share decline after it went open source. The other ridiculous assumption they've made is that a new and relatively immature product can overtake one that is already maturing and will by 2012 will have three more years to mature further. Is anyone seriously assuming that Apple is planning on sitting on its hands for the next three years?