Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
But the sales numbers went up. And they made most of the profit. And practically no one returns an iPhone after they buy it, and every iPhone is a smart phone...should I keep going?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know how much of that they're going to gain back if the new "low cost" iPhone starts at $490.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Considering Apple has just what, 20 max individual handsets currently on sale, compared to about 1,000 different Android handsets, I'd say that market share is actually pretty impressive.

Break it down to market share per handset and not platform and nodoubt Apple will be be half the top 10.

mmikuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
waiting for what exactly

some much for agility, while market share erodes...

Last edited:

johnseattle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Who friggin cares who has what share. Doesn't affect my opinion of what phone/os I'm going to prefer.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
What about the percentage of profits in the mobile market? Isn't that what's really important? Who wants to break even or lose money? These market share numbers are almost useless. iOS is still the place to be.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Seriously?! That's really, really bad. Where have you heard this?

Math?

Look at the difference in shipments between quarters. Look at Apple's pure growth in shipments. Divide the second number by the first.

But the sales numbers went up. And they made most of the profit. And practically no one returns an iPhone after they buy it, and every iPhone is a smart phone...should I keep going?

Customer satisfaction was recently higher with some of the Galaxy phones, so it's not as unilateral as it might seem. Market share is still a multiplicative factor in profits.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Even though they are not hugely significant gains, I am pleased to see Microsoft beginning to offer come competition within the market place. It is better for everyone if there is more competition.

I think it has more to do with Nokia finally making quality phones again and desirable ones at that.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So, Android now has a bit more than double what Symbian had when it was killed senselessly.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Don't worry guys; Iphone 5s and 5c will turn things around.

Tim Cook 2013

Don't worry guys; iphone 6 and 6c will turn things around.

Tim Cook 2014

Don't worry guys; iphone 7 will turn things around.

New Apple CEO

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I was part of that. I've had an iPhone since the day it first came out, every model. I got so bored with it I sold it an got an HTC One. Once the iPhone 6 comes out I might go back, but we'll see about that :p. This isn't bashing Apple at all, it was just what I did.

Yes, Apple should be worried because of the .000001% of people who bounce between phones and OS's because they're 'bored'.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
It's kind of weird... the majority of people I see at work have an Android while the majority of strangers I see outside of work have an iPhone.

I live in the city and work just outside the city while most of the people I work with live way outside the city. I feel like all the country bumpkins are slowly getting on the smartphone bandwagon with an Android while the majority of affluent city folk are tried and true iPhone users.

chazmuzz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
As an iOS developer, I'm wondering at what point I should abandon ship and switch to Android development. There still seems to be plenty of cash in iOS dev at the moment but how long will that last with a decreasing market share?

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I don't want a budget iPhone, I want screen size options. You give us options with the iPad, Mac, and iPod, why not iPhone?

xodiak

Jun 14, 2011
Incredible

So let me get this right, Android pulls ahead in market share and apple is behind. How many phones have android on them that you can go out and buy today? Compared to that how many phones are apple phones you can buy today? I'm confused cause this really isn't news its comparing apples to oranges. Why wouldn't you compare the iPhone 5 to the New Galaxy, and the 4s to the old galaxy or whatever android phone is of that generation? Saying android is beating apple when there are a hundred plus android types of phones out there to the what 3 or 4 iPhones is ridiculous. Its like comparing Apple computers to Windows/Dos based computers back in the day or even still. They make their own hardware and put there own operating system on it and they have managed all this time to be around because they don't go for the entire market they go for a portion of it. Seems odd to compare, is all I'm saying.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Again.... we're talking shipments here... not sales... don't know how many of those new shipments are sitting dead on shelves???

True. All the iPhones might be sitting in the hundreds of Apple Stores where all their customers are 14-year-olds using the Macs to update their Facebook status.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
How is that even important? Does anyone seriously believe Apple aims for the biggest marketshare?

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

You also forgot these are 'shipped' #s...they don't mean a thing.

:)

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries worldwide. For more than 48 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company.

IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading technology media, events and research company. IDG’s media brands – including CIO®, CSO®, Computerworld®, GamePro®, InfoWorld®, Macworld®, Network World®, PCWorld® and TechWorld® – reach an audience of more than 280 million technology buyers in 97 countries. IDG’s network features 460 websites and 200 print titles spanning business technology, consumer technology, digital entertainment, and video games worldwide. The IDG TechNetwork represents hundreds of independent web sites in an ad network complementary to IDG’s media brands. IDG® is also a leading producer of more than 700 technology-related events, including Macworld | iWorld, E3 Expo®, DEMO®, SNW™, and IDC Directions®. IDG’s marketing services include lead generation with IDG Connect®, custom publishing, social web marketing with IDG Amplify® ads and IDG Social Scout™ analysis and program development, and IDG Market Fusion™ research and content optimization.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple's phone sales are growing, year after year.
Apple's market share in the phone market is growing, year after year.
Apple's market share in the high-end market is doing fine as well.

Cheap feature phones are being replaced by cheap Android phones. That does affect the numbers that Apple haters love; it doesn't affect Apple or the iPhone.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
As an iOS developer, I'm wondering at what point I should abandon ship and switch to Android development. There still seems to be plenty of cash in iOS dev at the moment but how long will that last with a decreasing market share?

Do you want to make money? That should answer your question. One OS does that, the other doesn't do anything besides the top 1% of developers for it.

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
So... create the news to fill your own magazines on behalf of yourself and your sponsors and ADVERTISERS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.