Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Android Gaining Momentum Among Future Smartphone Buyers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

New survey data released today by ChangeWave Research indicates that Google's Android smartphone operating system has been rapidly gaining momentum over the past few months as the release of the Motorola Droid and the hype around the Google Nexus One have brought Android considerable publicity. In particular, the survey found that 21% of customers planning to purchase a new smartphone in the next 90 days would prefer Android, up from just 6% only three months ago. That performance puts Android within striking distance of Apple, which is reportedly preferred by 28% of future purchasers, down from 32% in the earlier survey.

Customer satisfaction ratings have also shown Android approaching Apple's typically strong performance, finding 72% of Android users "very satisfied" with their phone, while the iPhone checks in at 77% according to the same metric.

When breaking Android's performance down by handset manufacturers, the report sees the strength of the Droid line, which boosted Motorola's share of planned purchases over the next 90 days from 1% to 13% between the September and December surveys. On the other hand, market leaders Apple and Research in Motion saw slight declines, while interest in Palm's offerings plunged by 50%.

While some degradation of Apple's "mindshare" could be expected at the midpoint of its release cycle with the iPhone 3GS having been available for six months now and anticipation of the next-generation iPhone not yet ramping up, Android is certainly showing itself to be a growing force to be reckoned with in the smartphone market.

Article Link: Android Gaining Momentum Among Future Smartphone Buyers

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android Eclair; en-gb Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I thought Android was a failure, just like Windows mobile tho. Choice being a bad thing and all.

Oh well........

Comment

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Good more competition means more innovation to be released.

I look at the Prius. You know darn well that Toyota has a 100mpg car waiting in the wings for a serious competitor. As soon as Ford releases a 50mpg car, I'll bet Toyota shows off the 100 mpg.

No reason to show your hand early when you can get people to buy the current model, and then the next one later.

I'm hoping that I'm right and that we see some wild updates in stock for the iPhones to wow people again.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's also important to remember that the market itself is growing.

So even if Apple goes from selling 30% of smartphones to 20% of smartphones, they'll still be selling more phones than they did the year before.

I mean, obviously they want to have the top number here too, but I think a lot of people forget that everyone is gaining...this is just a measure of how fast they're doing it.

Comment

DrJason

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Competition is always a good thing! And as someone else said, the iPhone is mid-cycle while the Droid is the "hot" thing right now

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
It's also important to remember that the market itself is growing.
So even if Apple goes from selling 30% of smartphones to 20% of smartphones, they'll still be selling more phones than they did the year before.
I mean, obviously they want to have the top number here too, but I think a lot of people forget that everyone is gaining...this is just a measure of how fast they're doing it.
I guess this is a good example of viewing data in a light most favorable to Apple. It's obvious there isn't market saturation when it comes to smart phones, especially worldwide. As such, the fact that more phones are being sold doesn't change the fact that Apple may be losing momentum. After all, the iPhone is starting to appear boring.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Well we've seen this before, hopefully this time it's for real.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/14/palm-pre-iphone-3gs-owners-satisfaction-polled-compared-in-ne/

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=105925

Sales of the Motorola Droid haven't yet flavored the smartphone satisfaction rankings yet, but Android users overall (the vast majority of whom were early adopters of HTC models) ranked their platform highly, with 72% saying they were "very satisfied" with their current phone. That's nearly as high as those "very satisfied" with the iPhone (77%) and well ahead of those assigning the same ranking to the Palm Pre (58%), RIM Blackberry (41%), classic Palm OS (29%), and Windows Mobile (25%).

I wonder which segment of the market bought those Android phones and if that segment is enough to maintain momentum against the iPhone. If it's mostly male tech-heads it doesn't look too promising. There are plenty of WinMo users who are "very satsifed" as well, but thank God the smartphone market isn't up to them.

Comment

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Alright Apple, time to wow us with the next big iPhone update! I'm thinking higher res OLED screen, more capacity, better battery life, faster proc, and (please oh please) Verizon availability! If the iPhone is released on Verizon, they will sell several million more in the first year... there are plenty of business people who would love the iPhone but need a more reliable network than AT&T.

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Apple losing out due to ATT?

Sadly...my dad wants a smartphone (until now was Blackberry or iPhone) asap...has been waiting for months as the talks about iPhone going to Verizon seem to come and go in both mainstream media and sites like MR. So he's grabbing an Android this month because the latest "word" is that iPhone may go to Verizon in June 2010.

I've been telling him to try and hold out but I see where he's coming from...he's waited long enough and 6+ months from now is too much more time to hold his breath.

Too bad...I bet a lot of people (like my dad) just won't go to ATT.

-Eric

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I guess this is a good example of viewing data in a light most favorable to Apple.

It's not about what's "favorable." It's about what's important. And what matters is profit. For example, Apple makes more money from their small share of Macs than most other PC makers earn even though "Windows" has a larger market share. (Remember, Dell does not care how many Windows machines HP is selling.)

Likewise, things like "Windows Mobile" and "Android" are actually split across multiple hardware developers. By making and selling both the software and hardware themselves, Apple can do far better than other companies even though it may appear that their numbers are smaller. They have a smaller pie but they own the entire pie.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

DrJason said:
Competition is always a good thing! And as someone else said, the iPhone is mid-cycle while the Droid is the "hot" thing right now

The issue apple may end up with is like this. At the end of 09, the hero was the Android thing to have (in the eu at least), now its all about the Droid/Milestone and upcoming is the Nexus one. HTC have a slew of Android handsets due in 2010 and Apple seem to work off of a yearly refresh cycle.

The potential is that a yearly refresh my make the iphone look old 6 months in, giving Android based handsets the edge. If Apple move to a more regular update cycle to compete, it may put people off waiting for the next big iPhone (but that philosophy also works with regular android releases).

It's good to see both the iphone and android in good positions imo. They are the freshest platforms from an ocean od stale smartphone platforms.

Comment

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
The iPhone on Verizon should change these numbers... Think about all the people that want an iPhone but can't switch to or can't stand AT&T. Android is just the next best thing behind iPhone so people that are stuck go for that.

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
It's interesting how seemingly effortlessly the new kids (Apple and Google) are surpassing the "established" players, at least in mindshare, in their own game.

Comment

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
The mobile OS wars are a replay of the desktop OS wars. OSX mobile is playing the role of OSX and capturing the high end of the market and those that prefer a walled garden approach to hardware and service providers.

android is playing the role of windows. Customizable. Easy to license and it will be absolutely everywhere in a few years.

Comment

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Looks like Apple better hurry up and announce the next iPhone is coming this summer. :) :apple:

side note: I'm glad to see Android is eating market share from blackberry.

Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The issue apple may end up with is like this. At the end of 09, the hero was the Android thing to have (in the eu at least), now its all about the Droid/Milestone and upcoming is the Nexus one. HTC have a slew of Android handsets due in 2010 and Apple seem to work off of a yearly refresh cycle.

The potential is that a yearly refresh my make the iphone look old 6 months in, giving Android based handsets the edge. If Apple move to a more regular update cycle to compete, it may put people off waiting for the next big iPhone (but that philosophy also works with regular android releases).

It's good to see both the iphone and android in good positions imo. They are the freshest platforms from an ocean od stale smartphone platforms.

A very good point. The current single model / 12 month refresh cycle could end up hurting Apple.

The 18 month contract on my 3G has just finished along with the contracts of 4 of my friends (and another couple in the next few weeks). None of us have bothered to upgrade to the 3GS, we've all gone onto 30 day contracts and are going to wait to see what the next update brings. If someone brings out a genuine competitor to the iPhone in the meantime, or the next iPhone update is a disappointment, there's nothing to stop us jumping ship.

Comment

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
The worst news in this survey is for WinMo and Palm. For MS, it represents the complete failure they had to maintain their early lead in mobile OS supremacy. For Palm, it represents the failure to sustain the momentum of the Palm rebirth with WebOS. I think that Palm is a ripe takeover target for Nokia, who is really lagging in the smartphone space and needs something big NOW if they hope to have any real presence in this market.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Expected

This is expected. Most of the cell phone manufacturers consider the firmware just another part on the BOM and don't give a crap about user experience; they just want to ship product. The Droid falls right into this category.

Adoption by manufacturer is one things, return rate and most importantly, retention to an OS after a customer service contract is up is something else. Windows Mobile lost it big time when they had a high rejection rate of users switching to a smart phone of a different OS when the contract was up. Android is too new to see if this happens. One thing that concerns me is that I have seen way too many people complaining about the build quality of the Droid phones with them breaking from regular use in just a month.

The iPhone is showing a huge retention rate and very good user experience as per Apple's very good industrial design considerations. I expect an iPhone / Verizon deal by the end of the year and perhaps in time for WWDC this summer. The "Verizon does iPhone" development party should be a lot of fun!

RIM / Blackberry is such a victim of their own success, they are not changing keeping their Canadian and out of US jurisdiction email server empire going. If anyone is going to get hit hard from Android, it will be RIM when those two year agreements start to expire this year and Android matures and has the same carrier.

As for Palm, they were the King of the Artist Colony when Jeff and company literally invented the smart-phone market. Now with competition since their patent filings failed due to prior artwork going back to the 80s, they are surrounded by giants trying to make it. Their WebOS is an interesting device but I keep on thinking is the Pre and Pixi the iPhone concepts that Apple didn't want to do and Rubenstein moved over to have his vision happen? Then there is their script language only development environment and a hokey app store. My guess is Palm gets bought out before the end of the year. Probably by Nokia for a swag.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

CFreymarc said:
This is expected. Most of the cell phone manufacturers consider the firmware just another part on the BOM and don't give a crap about user experience; they just want to ship product. The Droid falls right into this category.

Adoption by manufacturer is one things, return rate and most importantly, retention to an OS after a customer service contract is up is something else. Windows Mobile lost it big time when they had a high rejection rate of users switching to a smart phone of a different OS when the contract was up. Android is too new to see if this happens. One thing that concerns me is that I have seen way too many people complaining about the build quality of the Droid phones with them breaking from regular use in just a month.

The iPhone is showing a huge retention rate and very good user experience as per Apple's very good industrial design considerations. I expect an iPhone / Verizon deal by the end of the year and perhaps in time for WWDC this summer. The "Verizon does iPhone" development party should be a lot of fun!

RIM / Blackberry is such a victim of their own success, they are not changing keeping their Canadian and out of US jurisdiction email server empire going. If anyone is going to get hit hard from Android, it will be RIM when those two year agreements start to expire this year and Android matures and has the same carrier.

As for Palm, they were the King of the Artist Colony when Jeff and company literally invented the smart-phone market. Now with competition since their patent filings failed due to prior artwork going back to the 80s, they are surrounded by giants trying to make it. Their WebOS is an interesting device but I keep on thinking is the Pre and Pixi the iPhone concepts that Apple didn't want to do and Rubenstein moved over to have his vision happen? Then there is their script language only development environment and a hokey app store. My guess is Palm gets bought out before the end of the year. Probably by Nokia for a swag.

I take it the 72% customer satisfaction rating doesn't mean anything? Also, Android os is more than just the Motorola Droid. T-Mobile G1 & G2, HTC Magic hero, tattoo & Droid eris, samsung galaxy, Motorola Droid/Milestone are a few I can think of off the top of my head.... Why does all this boil down to the Droid?

Comment

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Not surprising, my cousin was planning on getting an iPhone and is now hesitating because of the Nexus One.

Comment

HyperX

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2004
Nieuwegein, Netherlands
It's exciting times we live in.

If the Android OS ever gets to the point that d Handset makers are willing to keep the OS Up To Date and get apps working more consistently. Plus maybe a bit of refining to the Android Market. Then it can become the Iphone killer.

If Apple resolves issues with App Approval, opens up the platform a bit more, allows for optional backgrounding, and maybe offers a handset with a keyboard. Look out Android.

The sad news is... palm didn't keep running when it hit the ground and is QUICKLY lagging. Certain problems chocking the platform that could easily be fixed. I really wish a company like Nokia would snatch up Palm. IMAGINE! The OS is nice, but the management of Palm... GOD whats wrong with them?

The BEST NEWS... Microsoft is becoming irrelevant. Everything I see about Windows Mobile 7 says too little WAY too late. I am just wondering how long before Microsoft casually bows out of the Market... I know it's not gonna happen but I can dream. Looking forward to you 5-10% niche Market Share ;P

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.