Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
For the last 3 years I've been on Android. For 2 of those years I couldn't imagine trading it for anything running iOS. The thought of being on a locked down platform with so little customization was very unappealing. I loved flashing custom ROMs and making everything just so. For the last year though, all that's sort of just... worn off. I got bored with constantly messing with things. Certain ROMs had bugs and in most of them some of my phone's core features weren't functional. OEM support for the latest versions of Android had ended after only 12 months of having the phone so I was having to keep it up to date myself with software written by people who were trying their best but ultimately didn't have the time to do it right. It got tiresome.

Sometime during the last couple months I made the decision that I was going to try something different. I wasn't 100% happy with the keynote introduction of the new iPhones... they seemed mostly incremental and on paper weren't impressive but I was going to stick with my decision. I preordered my Space Gray 64GB 6+ on 9/12 and received it on 10/2.

To keep things short, I'll just say I've been blown away. The device is incredibly fast, setup was easy, and everything just works. I never experienced things just working on Android. And the battery life... with my old phone I'd go through the whole battery in a day with it just idling. If I actually used it, I'd have to charge it when I got home from work in addition to each night. With the 6+ I've seen as much as 69.5 hours on battery:

kzPoXhB.jpg

As for the so called problems.... I haven't seen any. The device has been flawless so far. I pre-ordered a case (Nodus Access Case) but have been running caseless in the meantime without worry because to me it doesn't feel the least bit fragile. I've had no trouble carrying it around in my front pocket at work all day with a fair amount of bending over, sitting down, and getting in and out of cars. I'm sure it'd bend if I tried to make it do so but I don't see how it could happen with normal use.

tl;dr I'm converted and felt the need to share.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Congrats! Welcome to the team! Glad you've had such a positive experience. Hopefully all is well and you never have to experience apple's wonderful customer service, but isn't it nice to have an actual store to go to in case something goes wrong? I also suggest buying AppleCare+ for $99, it's worth more than the best case in my opinion.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm surprised that you squeezed out over 10 hours of use. Glad to hear you like it. Enjoy. :)

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
great post. i had a 3g and a 4, then the 4 got stolen right before a vacation. this is when the samsung galaxy s3 came out and i decided to switch to android (also for reasons you listed above). i enjoyed the freedom android offered and the customization.

as you stated, it wore off over time and became more problematic as it aged (had to send it back twice for a "software kill"). i was leaning towards the lg g3 but decided to hold out for the iphone 6 / 6+ keynote. i was impressed but was weary about the profile of the phone (large top and bottom compared to the lg g3).

i decided to pre-order, and was glad i did. i am more than impressed with this phone offers and couldn't be happier. worth the 400+ i paid (iphone 6+ 64 gb)

have fun with your device.:apple::cool:

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
Congrats! Welcome to the team! Glad you've had such a positive experience. Hopefully all is well and you never have to experience apple's wonderful customer service, but isn't it nice to have an actual store to go to in case something goes wrong? I also suggest buying AppleCare+ for $99, it's worth more than the best case in my opinion.

Well the nearest Apple store would be a 3 hour round trip minimum (drive + parking + walking... it's in a mall) so I doubt I'll be going anytime soon.

As for Apple care, I can't see myself needing it.

Which Android phone did you come from?

Motorola Atrix. It was a beast for its time... first dual core CPU in a smartphone, fingerprint scanner, a gig of RAM, etc, etc. Won best in show at CES 2011. It became such a pain to use it recently that I ended up borrowing a Note 3 to use until I got my iPhone. That was better but still not a great experience.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
For the last 3 years I've been on Android. For 2 of those years I couldn't imagine trading it for anything running iOS. The thought of being on a locked down platform with so little customization was very unappealing. I loved flashing custom ROMs and making everything just so. For the last year though, all that's sort of just... worn off. I got bored with constantly messing with things. Certain ROMs had bugs and in most of them some of my phone's core features weren't functional. OEM support for the latest versions of Android had ended after only 12 months of having the phone so I was having to keep it up to date myself with software written by people who were trying their best but ultimately didn't have the time to do it right. It got tiresome.

Sometime during the last couple months I made the decision that I was going to try something different. I wasn't 100% happy with the keynote introduction of the new iPhones... they seemed mostly incremental and on paper weren't impressive but I was going to stick with my decision. I preordered my Space Gray 64GB 6+ on 9/12 and received it on 10/2.

To keep things short, I'll just say I've been blown away. The device is incredibly fast, setup was easy, and everything just works. I never experienced things just working on Android. And the battery life... with my old phone I'd go through the whole battery in a day with it just idling. If I actually used it, I'd have to charge it when I got home from work in addition to each night. With the 6+ I've seen as much as 69.5 hours on battery:

As for the so called problems.... I haven't seen any. The device has been flawless so far. I pre-ordered a case (Nodus Access Case) but have been running caseless in the meantime without worry because to me it doesn't feel the least bit fragile. I've had no trouble carrying it around in my front pocket at work all day with a fair amount of bending over, sitting down, and getting in and out of cars. I'm sure it'd bend if I tried to make it do so but I don't see how it could happen with normal use.

Congrats on your choice. I am a big time Apple fan and at one point decided to try Android, just to give it a chance. Worst 8 months of mobile phone usage in my life, for pretty much the same reasons you stated. Buggy ROMs, lackluster support from the OEM and just terrible usability.
Came back to the iPhone with the 4 and never looked back. Loving my 6 Plus.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
shortened for brevity

You sound like me. Got tired of dealing with ROMs and rooting and always needing to make adjustments, just to have the phone function properly. I went the Nexus and Motorola route, along with Lumia phones and now the iPhone 6. Life is just so much easier when you run the stock OS, regardless of the manufacturer.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
That's wonderful to hear. Congrats! I love mine too. It's refreshing to hear someone start a thread saying they love their iPhone 6 Plus.:)

Hope this thread doesn't get lost behind the other daily entertainment. :rolleyes:

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
You sound like me. Got tired of dealing with ROMs and rooting and always needing to make adjustments, just to have the phone function properly. I went the Nexus and Motorola route, along with Lumia phones and now the iPhone 6. Life is just so much easier when you run the stock OS, regardless of the manufacturer.

I thought really hard about going to a Windows phone device. The UI is really slick but the ecosystem just isn't there.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

True, did you follow the battery tips too, that can help even more if you fine tune the settings just a bit more if you havent, just basically waiting for apps to be updated to the new A8 processor and new iPhone screen resolutions

Its gonna get even better lol

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I was the same way. I loved messing with my Android phones. The possibilities seemed endless! But ultimately they actually weren't endless, because either the phones couldn't support what the ROM was trying to do, or the developers of the ROM couldn't quite get it all to gel (not to knock them, some of them are very talented and dedicated). I went back to iOS with the 5S and loved it, except for the small screen and battery. Both of those issues are not fixed with the 6 Plus.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I would recommend for you to maximize your battery more. My overall usage is very close to yours and still have over 60% battery left.

The biggest culprit is "Background App Refresh". If you don't have any real need for that I would recommend to turn it off or just set the apps that you need. By default it's turned on and every app listed will drain your battery.

Settings-General-Background App Refresh.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.PNG
    IMG_0028.PNG
    214 KB · Views: 206

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
I thought really hard about going to a Windows phone device. The UI is really slick but the ecosystem just isn't there.

I have a Nokia lumia 520 in addition to my iPhone 6 as a backup phone. The OS is pretty damn good, but not in the same ballpark as iOS. One of the most annoying features was lack of choice of browser. There is no chrome or Firefox, and Internet explorer is a frickin crime. Renders pages horribly and every no name browser in their App Store is exactly the same. Blah.

On the other hand, cortana is better than Siri in a lot of ways, and the gps downloads the maps so you don't need a data connection for turn by turn directions.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
I would recommend for you to maximize your battery more. My overall usage is very close to yours and still have over 60% battery left.

"iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge."

Most of my usage is Safari too which I'm sure eats a lot more battery than the homescreen.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I have a Nokia lumia 520 in addition to my iPhone 6 as a backup phone. The OS is pretty damn good, but not in the same ballpark as iOS. One of the most annoying features was lack of choice of browser. There is no chrome or Firefox, and Internet explorer is a frickin crime. Renders pages horribly and every no name browser in their App Store is exactly the same. Blah.

On the other hand, cortana is better than Siri in a lot of ways, and the gps downloads the maps so you don't need a data connection for turn by turn directions.

Microsoft recently shifted mobile IE to be in line with other mobile web browser standards so soon enough it shouldn't have as many issues rendering pages.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Most of my usage is Safari too which I'm sure eats a lot more battery than the homescreen.

Yes, I thought about that when I rechecked your posted pic. I don't use Safari much on the iPhone. I use it extensively on the iPad and my Mac. I still don't understand why the home and lock screen use up so much battery. At any rate I'm happy for you.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA

The biggest culprit is "Background App Refresh". If you don't have any real need for that I would recommend to turn it off or just set the apps that you need. By default it's turned on and every app listed will drain your battery.

Settings-General-Background App Refresh.

First of all, no. You really aren't getting THAT good of a battery life because you charged it up before taking a screenshot.

Secondly, it is true that OP can get a couple more hours of battery life (I have seen as much as 14 hours of usage time).

Attachments

• IMG_0028.PNG
    IMG_0028.PNG
    281.4 KB · Views: 170

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
First of all, no. You really aren't getting THAT good of a battery life because you charged it up before taking a screenshot.

Secondly, it is true that OP can get a couple more hours of battery life (I have seen as much as 14 hours of usage time).

Well you're 100% wrong. I plugged it in to transfer the screenshot to my Mac. I took the first screenshot incorrectly. I just took another screenshot while it was plugged in. That was my mistake.

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't recognize that. I was transferring my screenshot when I realized I took the wrong screenshot and snapped another one not thinking it was plugged into the Mac. That's the first time it's been plugged in in 2 days.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
Yeah, iOS8 wreaking havoc on older iPhones is truly a blessing.

It's working pretty well as far back as the iPhone 5. If you're on a 4S, maybe it's a little choppy, and will probably get much better with future updates, which you're still getting on your outdated phone from 2011. Ungrateful....

As if someone held a gun to your head and forced to you update. :rolleyes:

----------

Microsoft recently shifted mobile IE to be in line with other mobile web browser standards so soon enough it shouldn't have as many issues rendering pages.

Looking forward to that update. I still pop my SIM into the Nokia Lumia and use it for a day every so often. Just for a change.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
It's working pretty well as far back as the iPhone 5. If you're on a 4S, maybe it's a little choppy, and will probably get much better with future updates, which you're still getting on your outdated phone from 2011. Ungrateful....

As if someone held a gun to your head and forced to you update. :rolleyes:

----------

Looking forward to that update. I still pop my SIM into the Nokia Lumia and use it for a day every so often. Just for a change.

I dislike lack of updates but trust me the 4s is more than a little choppy. It's laggy and janky on ios 7 and I don't even want to see what it's like on ios 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.